NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Dean

Default Need interesting insight on 1939 Play Ball

Hi Guys:

Dean's Cards is going to feature 1939 Play Ball in our newsletter next week and I need some interesting insight about the set.

The 1939 set has been over shadowed by the more attractive 1941 set and other than what I found in the Beckett Price Guide, I am having trouble finding some good interesting info on the set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dean
www.deanscards.com

Last edited by Dean's Cards; 12-04-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Jim VB

You should think about subscribing to Vintagecardprices.com or some other pricing service.

Or even use Ebay's search for sold items.

Or, click on the link above for Old Cardboard and see what they have to say about the set.

Short of any of those choices, you could continue to come on here and ask board members to do your pricing for you.

It's up to you.

Last edited by Jim VB; 12-04-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Barry Sloate

This post does look like an ad announcing 1939 Play Balls for sale. Kind of crosses the line.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Dean

Default Again, I am looking for info on the set.

Nope. The cards are not for sale. do not need or want pricing.

Need insight about the cards in order to write an article. i.e. mistakes, interesting cards, hard to find cards, quirks, things that you my have noticed. No one ever writes very much about this particular set.

I thought made that clear.

Thanks,

Dean

Last edited by Dean's Cards; 12-04-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: clairification
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Barry Sloate

You said you are breaking up a 1939 Play Ball set. That sounds to me like they are for sale. What am I missing?

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-04-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Joe P.

Default This guy is a gem .....

Practically every one of his threads, is a brain picking thread.

It gives you the feeling that he knows absolutely nothing about what he's selling.

As a buyer, I would never buy anything from him.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
You said you are breaking up a 1939 Play Ball. That sounds to me like they are for sale. What am I missing?
I agree Barry. That was the reason for my sarcastic reply. He said he's breaking the set next week. He included a link to his site, selling cards. And he's been warned by Leon in the past, not to do this on the main board.

He has been on here for all of 9-10 posts and each time asks for something that will benefit his business.

It belongs elsewhere.

Note: If I have misrepresented anything please correct me and I will change my posts.

Edited to add: I just checked. 9 total posts. A verbal warning. A formal infraction. And now this thread.

Last edited by Jim VB; 12-04-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Dean

Good Grief! I was just looking for some info about 1939 Play Ball to add content to an article. I answer dozens of e-mails with questions like this every week.

It seems like you guys are just looking for something to get offended and mad about....
Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Barry Sloate

Dean- your post looks a little self serving, and those kinds of threads shouldn't be on the main page. If you wrote the same exact thing and placed it in the BST section, nobody would have said a word.

And despite the fact that you said you are looking for information for an article, your opening sentence states that Dean's Cards is breaking up a set. If it's not for sale, it sure sounds like it is.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Dean

It was context. I edited the original comment and it is gone.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Barry Sloate

That's better.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Joe P.

Default Sure Deano sure .....

Let see if I read it right.

You're breaking a 1939 Play Ball set next week.
You're doing a write up about it in your news letter.
But the 1939 Play Ball's are not for sale.

Sure Deano sure .....
Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Joe P.

Default Customer Service Deano, on my Answering machine .....

If you think Deano's Brain Picken threads are funny, you should listen to him on your answering machine.

We all know that his forte is not in T's, E's or 1939 Play Ball's ... Let's hope he's better with the vintage 1970's, 1980's and 1990's.

I wonder if he's checked with the post war collectors about any insight into the Shinolas.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Frank Wakefield

OK, guys. I apologize. Last time you guys jumped him, I tried to answer his question, instead. I did answer it, and his response was to wait on selling since myself and another opined that the value was less than he hoped.

Now he is doing it again, and I see that it is intentional. So guys, I'm sorry I defended him.

Dean... post some information for us. Share knowledge, don't make it a one way flow of information. Post occasionally about stuff you're collecting, instead of selling. Then we'll accept you here.

Leon, this might be a situation that shows us why everyone shouldn't be allowed to instantly be a "member". There should be some sort of novice or beginner's level. Maybe.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Frank Wakefield

New thought on this with a new day....

Dean, buy a banner ad. With that, then you're 'supporting' the site. Some of us will still whine and growl when you ask us about stuff that you're trying to sell, using us as an information resource. But at least then it wouldn't be 'free'... and some of us would still answer. Maybe.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Dean

Frank - The banner ad is not a bad idea. You guys have an interesting forum. I am open to it, but there is no advertising information on the site.

Yes, I mentioned that we were breaking a set. It was part of the reason for writing the article. The cards are not online yet, thus they can not be bought yet. If the objective was to sell cards, I think that we probably have them posted online.

We break anywhere from a few to a dozen sets each and every week. That is what we do. It is very routine to us. I do not even know all the cards went up this week and did not think twice about the comment.

As far as trying to get sales from net54, that does not really make sense. If we were selling cards, we would do it in the correct section and not catch all this grief. Besides, according to Compete.com , DeansCards.com had over 16 times the unique visitors as net54 in October. (32,772 vs. 2046) Even if everyone of you visited our site, it would only increase our traffic 5%. Again, it just does not make sense.

Again, net 54 is a great site. No insult intended.

I write articles and blogs about cards because it is fun! Our customers enjoy reading them and one reccomended the forum as a resource. You guys seem to have vast hobby knowledge. Most people do not mind sharing it. It makes for better articles. I will not ask again. It is not worth the hassle. This is baseball cards. It is supposed to be fun!

I assumed that if someone did not want contribute, then they would just ignore the post. (as most of you have.) That said, I sincerely apologize for any hurt and harm my request for information has inflicted your persons.

Take Care & Happy Holidays,

Dean

Last edited by Dean's Cards; 12-05-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Frank Wakefield

I'll hold my responses to everything but one point you attempted to make.

32,772 vs. 2046 Those are visitors. The guys here are a bit more fanatic than a typical site visitor. And generally, the pockets here are exponentially deeper. I'd put one tenth of the collections of our 2046 against all of the collections of Dean's 32,772 visitors, knowing that our tenth would have stuff of which Dean's folks have only seen pictures. 32,772 vs. 2046, one of the greatest apples to oranges comparisons I've encountered in years.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Barry Sloate

Frank- I was thinking the same exact thing.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Rob Miller

Dean, I was wondering how you price your cards. I mean I am not the biggest fan of EBAY, but your T206 prices seem in some cases double to triple the average T206 card sold on EBAY. Not trying to jump on the bandwagon, I was just curious.

Thanks - Rob
Old 12-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Dean, why would you be asking us about pricing on your items, just do what it seems like you do on all the items you have on your website--just find out what things typically sell for and then multiply it by 5-10.

I went to your site to see what it would cost to fill in a few odds and ends for some 70's sets and I am so glad I found a place that will sell a 1980 Topps Vida Blue in NM for merely $4.50 or a 1977 Topps Craig Nettles in NM for $6.00.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Johnny S

It's all about unique visitors ! When you have that you can charge much more, unlike the ununique visitors on this site ! Anyways Dean good luck with the sale, I mean break, I mean collecting. As far as your wondering if this is the step child of playballs I would say no. I think they are all very appealing to collectors. Especially since one setcame out in 1939 ! The beauty of this set is it caught Ted Williams first three seasons. I do think the 41's are slightly more popular because of the color and also because it was one of the most exciting years ever in baseball. Williams .406 and Dimaggio 56 game hit streak and the last set due to the war, what more can you ask for. I like all three sets.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Dean

Johnny - My Man! THANK YOU! It took to page 3 for someone to talk about Play Ball Cards.

The 1939s are a great set - but they continued to evolve for the next two years. They stopped printing them during the war due to rationing of ink and paper. It would have been interesting to see how the issue would have continued to evolve if there had been no war.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 PM
David McDonald

Default or . .

. . if Japan had won the war.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Dean, I see many millions in your future!

David, those are some dramatic images. Is the red one a "Sacrifice".
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Rich Klein

Default Dean:

You have the right to ask for help on any item; and you will find within reason, that the board here is very helpful when there is a good reason to be helpful.

However; since you are curious about 1939 Play Ball; instead of asking for help; you should have noted what YOU found interesting about the grouping of cards you bought; and then posted on the site. How was the centering? Did the paper hold up well? What did you think of the images? Any interesting stories about the players (A hint: A person who was a player in the Old Judge set was still a major league manager and was in the Play Ball set)

And I do agree with the pricing comment. Are you planning to be the next Larry Fritsch or Rob Veres? And even Rob is far more reasonably priced than you. I take the 1968 Topps Gil Hodges as an example:

Rob, who has been in the card business for almost 30 years; priced on the Beckett Marketplace NM copies of the Hodges for $8.56 and EX copies at $5.04 (Rob is a pretty good grader and I trust his judgement on conditions)

Dean's price for the same card: NM $36; Excellent $10. HMMMMM

Dude; at the prices you are charging and the profit you are making on each card; find freelancers like myself and others on this board. Pay us for the descriptions and you'll still have plenty of money left over even with a 25 percent discount on the cards.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Joe P.

Default The 1939s are a great set .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean's Cards View Post
Johnny - My Man! THANK YOU! It took to page 3 for someone to talk about Play Ball Cards.

The 1939s are a great set - but they continued to evolve for the next two years. They stopped printing them during the war due to rationing of ink and paper. It would have been interesting to see how the issue would have continued to evolve if there had been no war.

Deano, if you feel that the 1939 Play Ball is a great set, why is it that you needed some insight from us for your pre sale newsletter?

Was it similar to the situation of the phantom 1964 WS tickets?

Deano, your story's might sell where you come from, but around here ... they don't cut bait.

Sure Deano sure.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Here is my insight. The card is not for sale lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dimaggio.jpg (42.0 KB, 240 views)
Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Rob Miller

That is some pretty darn good insight Peter!! I will spare the board a post of my SGC 50 Chuck Klein!!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Frank Wakefield

Connie Mack
Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwakefield View Post
connie mack
Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Frank Wakefield

I don't think ink was rationed in the U.S. during WW II. Nor was paper. I do think that ink and paper were relatively more expensive, and less available.

Dean, I mention this because if you're going to write about Playballs and mention rationing, then I think it will be incorrect. Here's a list of items that were rationed by the United States during WW II. (Somewhere I have some gasoline ration stamps and a ration book.... )

Tires
Cars
Bicycles
Gasoline
Fuel Oil & Kerosene
Solid Fuels
Stoves
Rubber Footwear
Shoes
Sugar
Coffee
Processed Foods
Meats, canned fish
Cheese, canned milk, fats
Typewriters
Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Rich Klein

Default There may not have been rationing of Paper

But there is also little doubt that paper was a demand item by our government during WW2

Here is one internet site I found with a story about a paper drive

http://histclo.com/Youth/youth/org/s.../w2usa-sdp.htm

And here is another link about Dayton, Ohio and a paper Drive

http://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/page/page/1652512.htm

I'm sure there are more.

Frank is technically correct about no rationing of paper; however, there was a dedicated effort to "recycle" paper; long before that concept gained ecological popularity

Regards
Rich
Old 12-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Default Prefer the 1939's

Most collectors prefer the colorized 1941 Playball's, but the pictures sometimes don't look like real photos. I prefer the 1939's because the pictures ARE real photos, and I have no problem with black & white - I kinda like Ansel Adams also with his black & white photography.

The centering, however, is of the utmost concern to me. A near 50/50 centered 1939 PB is a thing of beauty. I won't even consider cards worse then 55/45.

The 1939's represent a great hobby value in higher grades and centered.

Show me a nice 1939 HOF'er, I open my wallet gladly. Not the same feelings for the 1940, 41's.

steve
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Rich Klein

Default You know

After running a quick search (TY Leon, et al) for the improved search capability of this board, we have never truly had a GOOD 1939 Play Ball thread.

And if someone without the obvious "I need this to help me sell cards" theme had started a thread on 1939 Play Ball, such an idea may have been much better received.

It's obvious that Dean has done a nice job building his business but not such a great job joining our board. And I'm going to say this, and I worked with Marshall at the National at the same booth; but what is occuring with Dean is similar to Marshall and mainly self-inflicted.

So, I'll put out an olive branch -- and start over again

1) Dean; I want YOU to use the search facility of this board and gleam some information about 1939 Play Ball. I want YOU to describe what you think of centering; paper stock, etc. Are there any interesting things you noted in your break.

2) Then after Dean does his work; we'll go back and start the let's show each card in the set with the caveats I put in the other thread which were start with card #1, do one card per person and mosey our way through the set. Whether you show raw or graded is fine by me, BTW.

3) I think then we can all come up with a very nice and informative 1939 Play Ball set but my olive branch and challenge to Dean is for HIM to begin the thread by doing research and helping the board. Then; he'll discover how helpful we all can be. Specific questions will be very appreciated by the board

4) Yes, when one becomes a banner adverstiser; there are more considerations given to them. So, Dean, if you are interested; please contact Leon when he gets back from Valley Forge early next week and he'll see what room if any he has in that world for you.

5) I think we can make this a win-win; but Dean, YOU have to take steps to help as well

Regards
Rich
Old 12-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
After running a quick search (TY Leon, et al) for the improved search capability of this board, we have never truly had a GOOD 1939 Play Ball thread.

And if someone without the obvious "I need this to help me sell cards" theme had started a thread on 1939 Play Ball, such an idea may have been much better received.

It's obvious that Dean has done a nice job building his business but not such a great job joining our board. And I'm going to say this, and I worked with Marshall at the National at the same booth; but what is occuring with Dean is similar to Marshall and mainly self-inflicted.

So, I'll put out an olive branch -- and start over again

1) Dean; I want YOU to use the search facility of this board and gleam some information about 1939 Play Ball. I want YOU to describe what you think of centering; paper stock, etc. Are there any interesting things you noted in your break.

2) Then after Dean does his work; we'll go back and start the let's show each card in the set with the caveats I put in the other thread which were start with card #1, do one card per person and mosey our way through the set. Whether you show raw or graded is fine by me, BTW.

3) I think then we can all come up with a very nice and informative 1939 Play Ball set but my olive branch and challenge to Dean is for HIM to begin the thread by doing research and helping the board. Then; he'll discover how helpful we all can be. Specific questions will be very appreciated by the board

4) Yes, when one becomes a banner adverstiser; there are more considerations given to them. So, Dean, if you are interested; please contact Leon when he gets back from Valley Forge early next week and he'll see what room if any he has in that world for you.

5) I think we can make this a win-win; but Dean, YOU have to take steps to help as well

Regards
Rich

I predict: Crickets.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Joe P.

Default Not only thay Jim VB .....

please delete. thank you.

Last edited by Potomac Yank; 12-06-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Dup
Old 12-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Joe P.

Default Not only that Jim VB .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I predict: Crickets.

How long can a Leopard walk around with changed spots ...
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Rich Klein

Default I predict

The first hit for Mr. Paul Simon and Mr. Art Garfunkel (Columbia '65)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-S90Uch2as

Regards
Rich

P.S. I would, as would most of the board; love to be proven wrong
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Rich Klein

Default This could have just as easily been posted here

http://blog.deanscards.com/2009/12/1...ball-card-set/

Here is Dean's Cards blog entry on 1939 Play Ball

Regards
Rich

Tags