NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Jim

Default Heroes of sports auction

Looks like I won the Fan Craze Suddhoff last night, another 20 game winner off the list Anyone else win anything?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchernut View Post
Looks like I won the Fan Craze Suddhoff last night, another 20 game winner off the list Anyone else win anything?
Are you sure? At a glance it looks like the set price exceeded the cumulative hammer for the individual cards...
Old 12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Jim

unless I'm reading the results wrong... looks like the group lost out... but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... no word from the auction house either way up to this point... I can only hope
Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Rob Miller

I was an underbidder for the Fan Craze Waddell, it looks like the amount on the individual cards overtook the set.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchernut View Post
unless I'm reading the results wrong... looks like the group lost out... but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong... no word from the auction house either way up to this point... I can only hope
I didn't do the math - just gave it a quick glance, so congrats!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Jim

yeah, I was one of the underbidders on the Fred Glade card, it's that darn self imposed $100 max per card deal...
Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM

I won the complete Fan Craze Boston team (a number of lots).

In the process, I picked up the group of 12 lot, some of which (non-Boston) I'll be looking to move when I get them.

As an aside, this is the longest marathon I've ever been involved in. The auction went all night long and into the next morning. It closed at around 7:30AM EST...somebody actually tried to outbid me on the Jimmy Collins at around 7AM EST (after I had been in the lead on the card with no competition for probably 10 hours)...I am tired today.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
I won the complete Fan Craze Boston team (a number of lots).

In the process, I picked up the group of 12 lot, some of which (non-Boston) I'll be looking to move when I get them.

As an aside, this is the longest marathon I've ever been involved in. The auction went all night long and into the next morning. It closed at around 7:30AM EST...somebody actually tried to outbid me on the Jimmy Collins at around 7AM EST (after I had been in the lead on the card with no competition for probably 10 hours)...I am tired today.

Cheers,
Blair
Nice job Blair! The whole subset? Cool. I was in the running on the Young and Collins and 12 card lot for a bit. And no, it was not me that bid you up at 7am on the Collins . I was still cutting Z's at 7am EST. This was a nice auction but were getting to an absurd point on the auction ending times.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
Nice job Blair! The whole subset? Cool. I was in the running on the Young and Collins and 12 card lot for a bit. And no, it was not me that bid you up at 7am on the Collins . I was still cutting Z's at 7am EST. This was a nice auction but were getting to an absurd point on the auction ending times.
Hi Michael,

Thanks! Yes - I figure that you and I will probably compete on some lots along the way...given our common interests .

I did want to get all 9 Boston cards since they were all available at once. Can't beat one-stop shopping . That desire likely cost me a little since some went a bit high...but then again, others went a bit low (like the Cy, I feel).

All the best,
Blair
Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Just received my invoice and spoke to Jesse at Heroes.

I was very pleased to hear that they have decided to give free insured shipping as a show of appreciation to the bidders who supported their first auction.

Very classy indeed!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I was very pleased to hear that they have decided to give free insured shipping as a show of appreciation to the bidders who supported their first auction.

Very classy indeed!

Cheers,
Blair
Blair- Is this right? So those of us who already mailed our money orders can be expecting a refund of shipping costs?

Bob M.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Bob, the invoice I received the day after the auction did not include shipping charges. Did yours?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:22 PM
David G

Default Shipping

Mine said free shipping also. Did they originally send some with a shipping cost added?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtofan View Post
Mine said free shipping also. Did they originally send some with a shipping cost added?
Apparently they were selective, they charged me $13.06 for shipping.

Last edited by tbob; 12-13-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Bob, those sons of bitches must have heard about you!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Apparently they were selective, they charged me $13.06 for shipping.
Hi Bob,

My guess is they made an error with yours - I'd say give them a call on their tolll-free number on Monday and I bet they will make it right.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Bob, those sons of bitches must have heard about you!

They never give a lawyer a break, huh?
I took Blair's advice and called them and they are going to refund the shipping cost.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Dan Paradis

Default Fan Craze pickups

These are probably as close as I'll ever get as rookie cards for these 2 guys (and no charge for shipping)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOS.jpg (74.8 KB, 122 views)
Old 12-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
These are probably as close as I'll ever get as rookie cards for these 2 guys (and no charge for shipping)!
Hey Dan,

Nice pickups!

I don't mean this in any pejorative sense, but I think of the Fan Craze cards as the "poor man's" E107. Early cards, with those great Carl Horner portraits. The truth is, there are not as many out there as some might think. Comparing pops graded by SGC, the Fan Craze are not that much more plentiful than E107 (and certainly fewer have been graded than most of the "major" sets of the era). The thing about them is that the grades are very different - they are skewed higher - they are generally found in much better shape. Some might say this is a good thing as the examples you see are quite presentable.

Anyways, lucky for us that the prices are not anywhere close to E107!

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 12-15-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I took Blair's advice and called them and they are going to refund the shipping cost.
Hi Bob - glad to hear it worked out!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Jim VB

Quote:

Sure. But Blair is going to send you a bill for his time spent formulating and writing his thoughts on the matter.

If he uses the standard Lichtman rates of $850 an hour, then one minute was $14.17.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Dan Paradis

Default Fan Craze vs. E107

Blair,

I agree with you. I love the Fan Craze set!! Their prices are very reasonable (especially compared to E107). I agree with your comments but I'd still love to get E107's if I can since they are the "true" rookie cards (let's not start the rookie card debate again) for most of the HOF'ers in the Fan Craze set.

Are you sure they are as rare as the E107's? I'm not disagreeing, I just never thought they were.

He are my only 2 E107's. I'm looking to add one a year to my set.

Dan

My collection: www.danparadis.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hos2.jpg (75.0 KB, 120 views)
Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Very classy indeed!

Cheers,
Blair

That is a very cool thing to do, though now I don't feel quite as special.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
Blair,

Are you sure they are as rare as the E107's? I'm not disagreeing, I just never thought they were.
Hi Dan,

No - I should be clearer about that. I'm certain that Fan Craze is not as rare as E107. But I think Fan Craze are scarcer than many people think.

I know there are all kinds of problems with using grading service pop reports for judging scarcity (problems with misidentified cards, resubmits, etc.) Having said all that, if you scan SGC's pop information, many E107s show a pop of 5-8 cards graded per subject (some are less). Fan Craze AL are all (except a few) in the single digit (1 to 9) per subject by SGC.

If we take Cy Young as a player who appears in both sets, SGC has graded 8 E107s versus 12 Fan Craze.

It looks like PSA has generally graded 13-20 of each Fan Craze AL subject.

But cards like T205 and T206 are in the hundreds graded by SGC and hundreds more by PSA per subject (these are very broad generalizations...of course some subjects/backs are scarcer).

In terms of a good comparison on the graded card numbers, Fan Craze looks to have similar numbers to a medium-tough E-card set...that surprised me as I assumed they were not as scarce as that.

Looking further at the PSA pops on cards I own (both stars and commons), it looks like there are fewer Fan Craze graded per subject than E90-1 and E95 (again not looking at especially scarce subjects), somewhat fewer than E92 Dockman, and about the same as T204, which I think is a tough set.

Cheers,
Blair

Last edited by Bosox Blair; 12-15-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Sure. But Blair is going to send you a bill for his time spent formulating and writing his thoughts on the matter.

If he uses the standard Lichtman rates of $850 an hour, then one minute was $14.17.

Cheers,
Blair