NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 AM
$cotty @.utin

Default Collecting American Sports Items Overseas

I recently learned that my work is relocating me to Italy for a few years. While I'm stoked for the experience and travel, I hate leaving my hobby here in the states. So in an effort to avoid that, does anyone have any advice for continuing my collecting of early American sports items?

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotan_02 View Post
I recently learned that my work is relocating me to Italy for a few years. While I'm stoked for the experience and travel, I hate leaving my hobby here in the states. So in an effort to avoid that, does anyone have any advice for continuing my collecting of early American sports items?
eBay connects the world
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 AM
$cotty @.utin

"No international shipping"

I was looking for a little more local focused advice

Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Italy

I don't know that you will have a lot of luck in Italy with American items. You will just have to get there and see. You will still be able to be on Net54baseball (obviously) so there is at least that . I think the internet (ebay) is going to be your best bet. Even though many sellers say "no international" shipping I think if you politely email them, some of them will bend a little. You might have to plead and make their job easier but I bet many will listen. I would and I don't usually ship outside the US except Canada. We have Google Analytics installed on this board and here below is the frequency of Italian visitors in the last month....There were 113 out of over 120,000 visits, they stayed on the site for 7 minutes 33 seconds and had 14%-15% bounce rates. Those are minuscule numbers.

Italy 113 7.33 00:07:44 15.04% 14.16%

Last edited by Leon; 02-22-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM
$cotty @.utin

Thanks for the stats Leon. I'm sure I'll rely on the board for a connection to my hobby. I hope to increase the visitor by one but 5-10x the time on site. I guess I'll just have to get there and feel out the situation. Who knows, maybe I can bring some new and interesting stuff to the board members.

Last edited by smotan_02; 02-22-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Greg

Quote:
"No international shipping"
An Italian hoops collector I know, will occasionally ask me to bid on his behalf, in cases where the seller doesn't ship to Italy. I re-address the package, take it to the post office and ship. He reimburses the postage and usually adds some extra for my time. He has an amazing collection and much of it has come from the US.

Although, I've not heard good things about the Italian postal service.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Default Overseas Collector

I have spent 10 of the last 13 years overseas and I've been collecting Cincinnati Reds stuff the whole time. Other than a cheap Reds plastic bobbing head that I found in Hong Kong, everything I've bought has been through ebay, the Reds team shop or one of the auction houses. I've always been able to work out shipping. There are "re-mailers" that you can use if needed, but of course that adds to the shipping costs. Hope this helps.......
Old 02-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Ciaran

Any auction houses that I've used send items abroad although postal costs can be relatively prohibitive.

In my experience, the majority of eBay sellers will also but a substantial minority will not. Interestingly, Italy is one of those countries that seems to appear regularly as one of the destinations that some sellers will not send to - presumably due to problems with the Italian postal service.

Another aspect to bear in mind is customs. I'm not sure how it works in Italy but, here in UK, it seems very "hit and miss" as to what gets held up and charged by customs and what gets let through. This "hit and miss" reality is irrespective of whether the full value of the item is declared on the packet or it. If you are looking at purchasing an item with one eye on its investment potential, living abroad may be a prohibitor given postal charges, potential customs charges and, if you're being paid in € rather than $, currency conversion charges.

For info., there's a large calcio ("soccer") collector base in Italy. In my experience, they primarily collect shirts, pennants, tickets and stickers (esp Panini).
Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
$cotty @.utin

These are great comments, thanks. Does anyone have experience shipping to an APO?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM

I have a friend living in Madrid and she doesn't like me to send her anything larger than a letter because has to to pay duties on it.

Luckily, baseball cards are awfully small.

I've bought from and sold to Italy a couple of times and don't recall any shipping issues. I also have shipped cards to APO and haven't had any troubles.

To tell you the truth, I've shipped to lots of foreign countries and haven't had problems. All the Western European countries are fine in my experience. I have no problem shipping to them.

Might not hurt to get an American reference or two, to vouch that you're a reputable collector who happens to be working in Italy. May help allay any foreign shipping fears of some potential sellers.

Last edited by drc; 02-22-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default E-Mail Me

Scott,

You have my e-mail address and phone number....I might be able to help.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Italian Baseball League

Hey Scott...a friend of mine played for Telemarket Rimini last year...you'll be able to get your fix of "professional" baseball that way...I'm looking for a few things from the Italian League so if you're willing to help, I can share details. Shoot me a PM...and best of luck! Matt
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
$cotty @.utin

Thanks everyone. I think most of you are right, I'll just get there and feel out the situation. Should be interesting none the less.