NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-12-2019, 01:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Final card for me to complete the Topps and Bowman run. Saved my least favorite for last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle55b.jpg (43.2 KB, 873 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Final card for me to complete the Topps and Bowman run. Saved my least favorite for last.
Congrats on completing the run! I share your sentiment re: the 1955 Bowman.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Congrats on completing the run! I share your sentiment re: the 1955 Bowman.
Thanks Chris. If I hadn't decided to complete the run would never have bought one lol. But it made no sense to me to stop one card short.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Picked up another "low grade/high eye appeal" card for my Mantle display I'm working on.

I've been chipping away at this for a few months. Its taken longer than expected due to a couple "life issues", but i'm just about ready to bring everything to get it "pieced together".

I'd been looking for a couple "outside - the - box" items, and not your normal run of the mill basic Mantle run cards, combined with keeping the cost down on my project.
I always liked this particular image, for a variety of reasons.
Not only does he look happy, (which he did NOT always) , but I wanted something that dated itself from back in that time frame, not just another Mantle card.
One of these Post issues was right in my wheelhouse.

Down to needing 2 more items, then I'll be finished.

Got this for a measly $40 + shipping, so for that price and eye appeal, I couldn't resist.

This is going to have to be freed from its slab.
I've cracked out a couple PSA cards.....any tips on breaking this one out?

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Found this at an antique store on Friday. Paid $4 for it. Best I can tell it's a post card from the stadium souvenir shop. That's what it says on the back anyways. It's got Mick and Musial.

I know it's not a card, but still kind of cool especially if it's actually from Yankee Stadium and not a reprint.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:12 PM

Found a cool Mantle piece. Not sure how to post pix from phone. Who can post it for me ? Thanks Scott
Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post
This is going to have to be freed from its slab.
I've cracked out a couple PSA cards.....any tips on breaking this one out?
SGCs are the easiest. You should be able to run a butter knife or flathead screwdriver along the ridge on the side a few times and it will pop open.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:37 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
Found this at an antique store on Friday. Paid $4 for it. Best I can tell it's a post card from the stadium souvenir shop. That's what it says on the back anyways. It's got Mick and Musial.

I know it's not a card, but still kind of cool especially if it's actually from Yankee Stadium and not a reprint.

My impression has always been that these were sold in the stadium. There seem to be a ton out there of this and other designs, so it’s possible they are either a fantasy piece (hard to believe as they are typically worth less tha. $10.00) or were produced over a long period of time so as to saturate the market. I don’t think any of mine are used/postmarked so I haven’t been able to confirm the date on them.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 06-25-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:51 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Nothing much - just 'restocking':

1958 Topps 418- WS Batting Foes EX plus.jpg1959 Topps 564- MICKEY MANTLE All-Star EXMT.jpg

1960 Topps 160- Rivall All Stars EXMT.jpg1962 Topps 18- Managers Dream NM.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default The Mick from a 1962 Post Cereal Supermarket Display!

Hi Guys:

Awhile back I obtained the below 1962 Post Cereal Supermarket display pieces showing the Mick!

First is a double sided 2' x 3' display banner with Mick on one side and Maris on the other. These were designed to hang over a wire above the display. This would look SUPER framed! It is available for sale or trade in the right deal. PM me if interested. The photo attached is much smaller compared to the others, but in reality it is much bigger

Second are a few photos of a whirl around display that had oversized cards including Mantle. The fold in the Mantle card is on purpose so the piece can be curved in order to create the whirl around display as shown in the lower photos, and also for shipping purposes.

Finally I have posted two photos of what the supermarket displays could look like featuring both the banner and the twirl around display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M&M banner 3.jpg (16.2 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg Whirl Around cards 1.jpg (19.6 KB, 771 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2702.jpg (65.9 KB, 764 views)
File Type: jpg 1962 Post Press Release Store Display Photo - Cropped - 1.jpg (78.0 KB, 781 views)
File Type: jpg img642.jpg (75.1 KB, 772 views)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 AM

That is simply amazing. What a great piece ! Scott

Last edited by quitcrab; 06-26-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-29-2019, 11:48 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Picked up this beater today. Loved hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMick.jpg (78.8 KB, 746 views)
Old 06-30-2019, 08:27 PM

Closing out the month with some nice raw Mickeys:

1958 Topps 487- MICKEY MANTLE All-Star NMT.jpg1962 Topps 471- MICKEY MANTLE All-Star.jpg

1958 Topps 461- MANTLE Hits 42nd Homer for Crown NM.jpg1961 Topps 307- WS Game 2- Mantle Slams 2 Homers.jpg

1962 Topps 318- The Switch Hitter Connects NM.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 07-03-2019, 06:07 AM
David (30%) Hall

Minty fresh Mac Boy

Old 07-03-2019, 05:33 PM
David (30%) Hall

Old 07-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Grabbed yet another "well worn" but decent eye appeal Mickey Mantles for my project.

This was always one of my favorite cards of his.

Almost done with this display I have been working on. Its dragged on a bit, but I am down to needing 1-2 items tops.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:56 PM
David (30%) Hall

Old 07-12-2019, 05:37 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Got this one in the mail today. It's my first since I had to sell all of my vintage some years back (didn't have a Mantle anyway). Just getting back into vintage now, and this is one of the first pickups. Not the greatest condition. Probably VG-Ex, maybe. Anyway, thanks for the look..

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 07-28-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

1963 Sports Service New York Yankees Mickey Mantle

Noticed there are zero Mantles in the PSA Pop Report. Only a single Berra and single Ford. https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball...yankees/154240
Makes me think they're pretty rare. Unless they're so oversized they just recently added holders to fit them.

Looks like this was a company that sold picture packs through the mail. They're not in the Standard Catalog 4th edition, but are checklisted elsewhere on the internet. Obviously well-loved and treasured by the original owner.

I still have a $100 voucher from PSA, so maybe I'll send in my last submission (for quite a while) on their dime. Always fun to add one to the pop report.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
1963 Sports Service New York Yankees Mickey Mantle

Noticed there are zero Mantles in the PSA Pop Report. Only a single Berra and single Ford. https://www.psacard.com/pop/baseball...yankees/154240
Makes me think they're pretty rare. Unless they're so oversized they just recently added holders to fit them.

Looks like this was a company that sold picture packs through the mail. They're not in the Standard Catalog 4th edition, but are checklisted elsewhere on the internet. Obviously well-loved and treasured by the original owner.

I still have a $100 voucher from PSA, so maybe I'll send in my last submission (for quite a while) on their dime. Always fun to add one to the pop report.
What distinguishes this from the 1966 Team Issue with the same image/writing? Anything on the back identifying it as a 1963 Sports Service?
Old 07-23-2019, 07:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Good question; back is blank.
Seems to have the same image and type font/size. It could very well be the 1966 Yankees Team Issue.

Here is where I found the images/checklist:
https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Galler...-Yankees-Set-B
Edit: Guys that were not on the Yankees in 1966 in this "set": Berra, Stafford, Ralph Terry.

Edit: Looks like there is also a 5x7 version of the same set. So I'll have it sent to me and see how big it is.

Maybe the Yankees bought their photos from the Sports Service guy.

Last edited by swarmee; 07-23-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:40 AM
Chris

I’d be curious as to what you learn. Thanks for the additional info.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:30 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Good question; back is blank.
Seems to have the same image and type font/size. It could very well be the 1966 Yankees Team Issue.

Here is where I found the images/checklist:
https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Galler...-Yankees-Set-B
Edit: Guys that were not on the Yankees in 1966 in this "set": Berra, Stafford, Ralph Terry.

Edit: Looks like there is also a 5x7 version of the same set. So I'll have it sent to me and see how big it is.

Maybe the Yankees bought their photos from the Sports Service guy.
John, I'm curious as to the size of the photo. I have that very same photo in 4 different Yankee team sets - 1962, 1965, 1966, and 1967. Of course the years I assigned each set is based upon the players in the sets and could be off. The Mantles are identical with a couple of slightly different croppings. I measured 2 of the photos (1965 and 1966) and they are 4-3/4" by 7". I always assumed these were sold at the stadium and therefore called "team issued" by the guidebook. I had seen the link you posted before and I assumed the Sports Service sets were the "team issued" sets. Yeah, I know what happens when you "assume" something. I'm heading out for the weekend but will post pictures of the Mantles I have showing the slight cropping variations next week. I'll also list who is in each set and the reason for the years I assigned.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:54 PM

...with 8% E-Bucks today:

1960 Topps 563- MICKEY MANTLE EX-MT plus.jpg

Old 07-29-2019, 04:31 PM

1965 Topps 134- WS Game 3- MANTLE's Clutch HR EX-MT.jpg

Old 07-30-2019, 04:18 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Snagged this on Ebay a few days back.

Going to slide right in to my Mantle project.

Took the picture at a bit of an angle to keep the glare down, so it looks a tiny bit off left to right.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:01 AM
Michael

John, the "Sports Service" Mantles I have are shown below. Looking at my checklists, it appears that I had used the Tradingcard site to improve my listings. As shown below, your Mantle could be from either 1963, 1965, 1966, or 1967 (the first 4 shown). As shown, 3 of the 4 photos appear to be identical. The other (1965, upper right) has a slightly different cropping. In it, Mantle's right sleeve does not touch the border, but it does on the other 3. Another difference is that the 1963 version appears to be printed on slightly glossy paper whereas the other 3 years are not printed on glossy paper.

The last photo shown is from the 1964 set.

I don't have the 1968 set so I don't know what that one looks like. I also don't have 1 of the 1963 sets listed or 2 of the 1966 sets listed, so I don't know what they look like. I would imagine that they are the same as the ones I've posted.

Another curiosity to me is that the photo from 1964 is different from the other years. I wonder why that is.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Snagged this nicely centered '69 Mick from fellow board member Dboneesq and thanks again for the smooth deal.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Love the jumbos!
Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Anyone here the lucky winner on the 52 star-cal decal last night on the heritage auction? It was a real beaut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2019, 08:50 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboggs View Post
Anyone here the lucky winner on the 52 star-cal decal last night on the heritage auction? It was a real beaut!

Not the star cal, but totally THRILLED to snag this beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 Manlte.jpg (75.2 KB, 665 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 09:03 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Mantle

Much rarer than the star cal
Old 08-20-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Not the star cal, but totally THRILLED to snag this beauty!

That sure is nice, i would be thrilled with that as well!

Old 09-09-2019, 05:55 PM

Hard to believe that the Mick had gotten off the front page-

10% Ebucks helped with this one:

1958 Topps 150- MICKEY MANTLE EXMT.jpg

Old 09-11-2019, 03:51 PM

Re-stocking completed:

1957 Topps 95- MICKEY MANTLE EX.jpg

Old 09-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Michael

Was able to pick this up recently. 1969 Country Cookin' postcard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1969 Country Cookin Postcard 1.jpg (77.8 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg Mantle 1969 Country Cookin Postcard 2.jpg (77.2 KB, 575 views)
Old 09-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Ben W.hitener

Nice tough one Mike!
Old 09-26-2019, 12:37 PM

New Mantle item in Mile High Card .... lot number 750 Advertising Promo Item 1964 Topps Coin
Never seen it before. Pretty big piece 7 3/4 circular item Nothing on the piece says “ Topps “. Looks like a Topps piece.... what do you guys think ? Topps ?
Old 09-27-2019, 07:17 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Default 1954 Bowman Mantle

Happy to pick this one up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954BowmanMantleSGC4.5.jpg (76.8 KB, 507 views)
Old 09-27-2019, 07:21 AM
Al Richter

Very nice, Dan
Old 09-27-2019, 07:25 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Very nice, Dan
Thanks Al!
Old 10-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Stefan

Picked this up in a lot of random "large" stuff. Pretty Excited to add this to the collection (1961 Phillies Premium), considering the price I paid and the amount of times I've actually seen one. I may end up getting it slabbed as I feel like its not secure in an oversized top loader

Last edited by Smanzari; 10-05-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:09 PM
J0hn Collin$

LCS pickup.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:22 AM
Dave_Berg

Great looking card John
Old 10-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Tony

Reading a book called The Last Boy, Mickey Mantle and the end of America’s Childhood by Jane Leavey. Had to pick up matchbook cover after reading about some of the escapades in Joplin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC254880-9707-4496-8064-231B9E27DBB4.jpg (13.2 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg CD296383-62B1-4C70-9EFC-78B7BB5E2664.jpg (10.3 KB, 399 views)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:07 AM
Michael

Picked up a few more Holiday Inn items recently.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:09 AM
J0hn Collin$

EX range.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Baseball Magazine m114 supplements

At least one of these pose variations is new to this thread...
Old 11-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Very nice, Doug. The new pose is a beauty, taken at the Yankees' spring training field. I recognize it from other pix taken of Mickey, as well as a plethora of his teammates. I love it; thanks for sharing. -- Brian Powell
Old 11-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Michael

Doug, are those sepia tone? The one I have (with "Micky") is kind of sepia tone and I can't quite tell if yours is or if the others are.

Tags
marked, mickey mantle topps