NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 08-22-2019, 05:57 PM
Ben L

Default Need Help on ca. 1885 Boxing Cabinet Photo

Hi all - Any chance this image shows a known boxer? Also, I am considering selling it. What would be a fair price? I posted on the main section of Net54 and another member suggested posting here for more info. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boxing Cabinet Photo.jpg (70.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Boxing Photo (2).jpg (75.1 KB, 206 views)
Old 11-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Mattias Hult

Made an attempt to colorize it, maybe it can help in some way on ID
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191114_185359.jpg (55.4 KB, 179 views)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't know who it is. Undoubtedly a boxer, but at what level is hard to say. I've seen a few Beele's mounts before but odds are it is a local-level boxer rather than a well recognized one. Identifying cabinets is often more art than science. Without an ID, it is probably a sub-$50 item.

FWIW, I have an entire file of unidentified boxing cabinets that I keep because the images and mounts are really nice and I hope that some day they will ring a bell with someone.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-15-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:54 PM
Rob

As I stated in the other thread, I think it's Paddy Ryan (look at the Ryan cab in Leland's) If you can get 2 other posters to say it's Ryan, I'll give you $150. Otherwise, I'll give you $35 shipped. Rob
Old 12-02-2019, 12:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I do not think it is Ryan. Here is a portrait of Ryan:

For comparison:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-02-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Rob

Adam, from your photo I have to concede the point. I guess that's why you write the book and I read the book.

Here is the m125 I was referring to...I should have waited until the auction was over...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paddyryanm125293.jpg (19.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hey, it's an art, not a science.

Ryan just made the HOF. So did Frank Erne, who is also in that lot (top row, far left).

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-07-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:35 PM

Who is the female boxer in the above lot?
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Hattie Stewart.

Hattie Stewart, sometimes nick-named 'The Female John L. Sullivan', was a well-known female boxer of the very late 1800s. She was born in 1857. The 1925 postcard with her 1890s photo says: "Above is pictured Hattie Gillen, as she appeared thirty years ago when she was recognized as Hattie Stewart, the female woman heavyweight boxer. Hattie Stewart married Thomas Gillen, an actor and former pugilist and they now live quietly in the Bronx, New York. Hattie Stewart to use the name by which she was known throughout the century more than a quarter century ago, proved her right to the title she boasted and on many occasions asserted her pugilistic superiority over some men opponents. She appeared at many boxing clubs and theaters throughout the country boxing both women and men – and in those days the woman's place was supposed to be in the home." In the ring, muscular Hattie acted resolutely and rapidly like a man being a champion for seven years.

The 'National Police Gazette' mentioned Hattie Stewart many times. In its issue as of September 24, 1892 it wrote: "Norfolk, Virginia then produced a burly female who had been taught the art of boxing. She startled sporting circles by issuing a challenge to meet any female In America in a boxing contest for the championship. Her name was Hattie Stewart. She was about 5 feet 7 Inches in height and weighed about 150 pounds. She was well proportioned, her chest measuring 37 inches; while she was a beautiful specimen of physical development, and stripped she looked a perfect Amazon. She could hit straight with her left and bring her right across a la John L. Sullivan. If any woman was fitted for a female champion, Hattie Stewart was the one that would fill the bill in every particular. She appeared at all the variety and music halls In America and Canada, and not only did the young giantess knock out female rivals, but held her own with professional male boxers." In another article the 'Gazette' said: "This package of muscular dynamic was the first woman to become 'World Female Boxing Champion'. Hattie who was born in Norfolk had boxed all the women challengers in variety theaters around the country. She won the title on April 14, 1884 by defeating Anna Lewis, a tough rough customer."

In 1890, Hattie Stewart, of Norfolk, Virginia, put out a public challenge in a local newspaper, to the heavyweight boxer Hattie Leslie, of Buffalo, New York. Stewart, who was living in Seattle, Washington, at the time of her public challenge, told the press that she wanted to fight Leslie in a 'boxing championship' and that she would receive $250 and that Leslie would receive $250, with an additional $100 to Leslie for expenses. After Leslie found out about the 'Public Challenge', she came back with her own 'public response'. The response was published in the 'Winnipeg Free Press' on September 25, 1890. Leslie stated the following: "I have seen a challenge to me from Hattie Stewart, stating she would meet me in a glove contest for $250 a side and that she would allow me $100 for expenses; but she has no money put up. Now I will make an offer to her: I will fight her 'Police Gazette' rules [until outright victory] to govern, with gloves weighing two ounces, bare hands preferred, and I will give or take $250 for expenses. We can get police protection, and if Stewart wants to fight in San Diego, California, she will have to get the same. Now, let Stewart put up her money with the Police Gazette, and I will cover it, and I will fight her three months after the articles [contracts] are signed. This is no bluff. (Signed) Hattie Leslie, champion female pugilist (not boxer) of the world." It is unknown though if the two ever met in the ring; Hattie Leslie died two years later.

The 'National Police Gazette' named the best four 'first boxing championesses': Hattie Stewart, Hattie Leslie, Cecil Richards, Dolly Adams. The newspaper considered Hattie Stewart as the best of them; the Gazette believed she was "able to beat any man of her weight."

Or not...
Old 12-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

Would the stars and stripes sash indicate he was champion of something? That might narrow it down a bit.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Nope. Just an American.

Or not...
Old 02-10-2020, 10:00 AM
Ben L

Wow - I completely forgot I posted this topic! So, sorry for the much delayed response. Thank you to all those above that weighed in. It does look a lot like Paddy Ryan. Looking at the cabinet of Ryan that Exhibitman posted, the nose looks very similar and maybe the ears. However, the facial structure and eyebrows look different so I'm leaning towards it not being him.