NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Default GAI....No Show at Philly Show ? ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Anyone know....what's happening with GAI ?

They were not set-up at Reading this past weekend. Very disappointing, as their $5 "preview" is the best bargain
in the Grading industry.

T-Rex TED

Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i wonder if they are finally backing down a bit from the two-headed industry monster, PSA/SGC ?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:55 AM
Administrator

MIKE S

I'm not sure I get what you are saying regarding GAI ?

Also, I heard that GAI was not at the recent White Plains Show....any comments on what is happening
with GAI ?
Is it that they don't want to travel EAST anymore; or, is it more serious ?

TED Z

Old 10-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

Ted- i thought my post was pretty clear...

i think it's no secret that GAI is a distant 3rd compared to PSA & SGC...maybe they are starting to fall off the map?

GAI's value & interest are going downward, from what i have seen and heard from some collectors...my question/statement was insinuating that maybe they are starting to realize these facts and spending less money on traveling to shows and are starting to "back down a bit"?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Ted- all my GAI cards underperform against my PSA and SGC ones. My guess is they are losing market share, and not growing.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Thanx for clarifying what you meant by "backing down".

I do understand that GAI has been in a "catch-up" mode ever since they started. They haven't done a good job in marketing
themselves....and, without a "registry" feature it's been tough.

I have primarily dealt with them for several reasons.....

1..Steve and Danny are a friendly couple of guys to deal and will get your cars back to you in fast time.

2..I trust Mike Baker to be the best in accurately grading a card.

3..They were very convenient to me at the Philly Show (only a cross aisle away).

4..I have not noticed the GAI graded cards I have sold on ebay get me any less than their PSA counterparts. This may have
to do with the particular cards I have sold (higher demand types).

5..GAI were the only ones to offer a quick turn-around PREVIEW (for $5) which allows you flexibility in your decision (Beckett
now has this feature for $10).

TED Z

Old 10-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

GAI is not falling off the map by any means. Because I track every graded card on eBay they now have more cards then ever being offered for sale. You just do not see them in the Pre-30's section on eBay. But in all other areas football, 60's baseball, etc.. I am seeing more and more especially with their new slab design.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

GAI cards have done very poorly for me the last few months and I never tried selling them before. I thought I would buy some to give them a try to see what the interest might be because I have a few local dealers that have a lot of them that work with GAI. I most likely will pass on buying them for now and it will be interesting if they make it to the Boston Show coming up in a few weeks. They have setup there for the past few years

Jimmy

Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Would love to see a scan of the new holder design. That has always been one of my problems with GAI...it's unattractive slab.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Hi Ted -
Well, I surely have seen GAI slabbed cards under perform when compared
to SGC & PSA cards for a long time now. 9 times out of 10, if the same
card comes up for auction in all three holders, the Global card will most
definitely sale for less.
Don't get me wrong, I own a few GAI cards and at times if the card looks
accurately graded one can get a great deal, but they still most always under
perform PSA & SGC graded examples.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Here ya go Steve.

edited to say, not my card, it's from Wayne Varners sale page.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

I don't acquire graded cards for my collection....I have only about 26 vintage cards (graded 5-7) currently in my personal collection.
These are in a "holding pattern" until I can replace them when I find them "naked".

So, I'm a "dinosaur"....but, I'm not dumb and when selling at shows or on ebay high demand (or Grade 4-7) cards, I get them graded.
Primarily with GAI for the reasons I stated in the prior post here. At the National I sold quite a few GAI cards I had graded (N172's,
T206 HOFers, E-cards and '33 Goudeys) and I compared the prices I was paid for them and they did not differ much from equivalent
PSA or SGC ones on ebay.
So, what I'm saying is that if you have the right vintage cards, it doesn't matter what Grading Co. they are. Collectors will have them
crossed-over if they're not happy with the plastic they are in.

T-Rex TED

Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Ted is probably correct that an accurately graded GAI card will sell for about the same as the other two companies. But I've seen a number of GAI's that look overgraded, so I think those will suffer.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

My experience with GAI is that they are more consistent than PSA.

Here are a few examples....the PSA 5 Evers I acquired off ebay. No way is it an Ex card (maybe at best a PSA 4).

The N172 and the T206 I had GAI grade. The Glasscock is graded correctly. The Joe Doyle should be a "5".

So, my point is that GAI is a fair or even tougher grading outfit than PSA.

DOYLE IS GRADED 4

TED Z

Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Ted- even you know that is too small a sample to make a determination. Both GAI and PSA are inconsistent, SGC less so.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I think the new slab design is just as unattractive as the prior one.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

my only GAI graded card...and they put it in upside down!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I recently submitted five cards to PSA that were previously graded by GAI. I thought I would have better luck if I cracked them out of their holders. I was right. Here are the results:

T206 Marquard/Hands side GAI 5 PSA 5
T206 Lajoie/Port GAI 4 PSA 4
T206 Walsh/Port GAI 3.5 PSA 4
T206 Tinker/Port GAI 3 PSA 4
T206 Evers/ Port. GAI 3 PSA 4

Three cards got a bump. Two remained the same. Of course, this is a small sample, but I thought it might provide interesting data nonetheless.
JimB

Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I have had a few problems with GAI with respect to card delivery but their grading has, especially on caramel cards, always been more consistent than PSA and close to SGC. The one thing I like about GAI is they don't crucify a card with a very tiny bit of back damage and a great front. They will drop the grade but not throw it under the bus like SGC.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Thanks for making my point....although anecdotal, your experience, nevertheless, supports what I have said here (in a prior post)
regarding GAI's grading being stricter.

Or, conversely, PSA is more liberal in their grading....you tell me ?

TED Z

Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

When I spoke with Mike Baker at the last National he was pretty enthusiastic about what was going on at GAI. He knew of the previous issues and was working to improve on them. From Jim B's very small sample it looks like they are getting better.....I got a card in one of the new holders recently and it looked pretty good....

Old 10-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Your post is encouraging....the rumors at the Philly Show this weekend were that GAI's No Show....was a "No Go" !

As you know, I'm not much into graded cards....but Mike Baker and Derek Grady (formerly of SGC) are the best.

T-Rex TED

Old 10-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

I am not sure if you are aware but Derek Grady just joined Heritage Auctions.....along with Lee Iskowitz (sp?).....I know both and both are fine gentlemen.......best regards (it's a small hobby)

Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Correct me if I'm wrong....wasn't Derek with Mastro since he left SGC ?

TED Z

Old 10-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Yes, Derek was there for a few years and went on to pursue a different opportunity....I am sure it was amicable and I am happy to have Derek (whom I count as a friend in the hobby) working for an auction house that is right down the street from me, though I am not sure if he is relocating. I am sure he and I will go to lunch or dinner when he is in the Dallas area (which is where Heritage is based)....best regards

Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

I don't have much personal experience with GAI, but I did notice this: in their Annual Reports to stockholders from 2003 to 2005, Collectors Universe (which includes PSA) listed Beckett Sportscard Grading and Global Authentication as their primary competitors in the sportscard authentication and grading business. But in their 2006 Annual Report, they listed Beckett and Sportscard Guaranty (SGC) as their primary competitors, with no mention of GAI. So apparently in their eyes at least, SGC now presents more of a challenge to them than GAI does. Perhaps that is based on an analysis of changes in market share, but who knows.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator

My first experience with having cards graded was with SGC (several years ago) at the Ft Washington Show. I submitted a bunch of
pre-war cards and several 1949 Bowmans. The following day, when I went to pick up the cards, Derek came over to me and asked
me some very smart questions about certain aspects regarding the 1949 Bowmans. This really impressed me that Derek was seeking
added expertise in order to better perform his job. I left that initial meeting with Derek knowing he would be going on to bigger and
better things in this hobby.

Derek's attitude was quite refreshing. And, very contrary to a bad experience I had at the same show with the PSA guys, that per-
manently turned me off from ever dealing with PSA.

TED Z

Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

of all the gai cards i've had (small sample size of about 25-30), we (me/sgc/psa) thought about 60-70% of them were overgraded...they were all t&e cards...some were grossly overgraded by 2 grades.

i will tend to stay away from gai cards online unless it's something i REALLY~! need. i think they should do away with the preview service. it's a nice quick $5 but can you accurately grade/check for alteration with a yellow lamp in 15-20 seconds?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

If you were to base your opinion of the company only on face to face meetings when submitting cards for grading at the last National, I would rate GAI over SGC and PSA. I know that many more things enter in to the submission process but GAI was like the old Hertz car ads about being #2 and trying harder. The PSA people I encountered acted like they were doing me a favor by grading my cards and the SGC people, if they didn't know you, made you wait and wait and wait forever while they were busy talking to friends and each other. I thought the SGC people were knowledgeable but their customer service-friendliness meter was low. I was not alone, many of the collectors I talked with about this agreed but the general consensus was "what are you going to do?" as most preferred to submit prewar cards to SGC.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

"This really impressed me that Derek was seeking
added expertise in order to better perform his job."

It's at that point when you understand what the term expert means!

I had a similar instance with Mike Baker who stated he wanted to learn because he felt he could never know too much.