NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 PM
Paul Herbener

Default PSA/DNA Precert question

I recently won some items from Heritage that were PSA/DNA pre-certified. I was expecting a letter or something but got nothing. I sent them a message but have had no response. Does this mean they are guaranteed to pass if sent or should I have received additional paperwork?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
I recently won some items from Heritage that were PSA/DNA pre-certified. I was expecting a letter or something but got nothing. I sent them a message but have had no response. Does this mean they are guaranteed to pass if sent or should I have received additional paperwork?

For a company built on customer trust, it certainly is fascinating how lazy PSA is in regards to responding to customer email inquiries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2017, 08:54 PM
N
Banned

Quote:
I sent them a message but have had no response.
Unfortunately, PSA's customer service is really lame. It took me over a month to receive a simple response e-mail about how my grades popped (by this time, I had already gotten back the package ). This is something I sincerely hope they fix. Think of how good Amazon is with customer service--PSA should be (but isn't) on the same level. It's up to you how you proceed--I just wouldn't count on receiving a response message from PSA for a while.
Best of luck,
NJ
Old 01-17-2017, 09:45 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

My understanding that auction letters are fairly useless. The only thing they guarantee is getting a cheaper price on a full certification. There have been many reported cases where items have failed full certification even with the auction cert. The group ones are worse from my understanding as they don't guarantee that ALL the items are real.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-18-2017, 08:14 AM

Pre-cert is not a guarantee on anything. You can submit them for full letters and they could conceivably be rejected. When I bid in auctions that only offer pre-cert or auction LOAs I will contact the house ahead of time and ask if I am able to upgrade to a full cert if I win the auction. Usually there is a pretty substantial discount compared to a re-submission. I only paid an extra $50 to have a Cy Young upgraded to a full cert. If the house doesn't offer the upgrade service I don't bid because I know it's just rolling the dice on an unauthenticated item.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:34 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've heard psa is a guarantee, but I KNOW jsa pre-cert is "just a cursory review of the big names"

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Paul Herbener

Thanks for the help guys. It amazes me how bad PSA's customer service is. I just received this response from a question I had over a month ago.

"Good Afternoon,

First, I would like to address the fact that it has taken over a month to respond to your initial email. We have fallen behind in the customer service department and we are working to address this issue and catch up on all email correspondence."

Well......at least they're working on it.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:32 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Use the catalog pages or printout the online auction description saying they are pre-certified. That's as good a record as an auction LOA.

Last edited by drcy; 01-18-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. It amazes me how bad PSA's customer service is. I just received this response from a question I had over a month ago.

"Good Afternoon,

First, I would like to address the fact that it has taken over a month to respond to your initial email. We have fallen behind in the customer service department and we are working to address this issue and catch up on all email correspondence."

Well......at least they're working on it.
That means that they have laid off employees in the customer service dept. and they don't really care how this reflects on the service that their customers get.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Richard, don't you think you are being a little to nice.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
That means that they have laid off employees in the customer service dept. and they don't really care how this reflects on the service that their customers get.
Is this a fact that they laid off a bunch of employees in cust service?

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

I would much rather purchase an uncertified autograph (from a dealer or AH that I trust) that I feel certain is real, and that has no LOA, than one that I am not sure about that has a full letter from JSA or PSA. Pre-cert or full letter means nothing to me, but I like it when they come with my autograph, as they add confidence for my customers if I re-sell.

I can't imagine mothballing my skills and judgement and handing that responsibility over to Spence or Grad, but we shouldn't forget that there are guys who just want to own an expensive autograph and aren't really collectors, who have to rely exclusively on PSA or JSA, simply because they don't visit forums and thus are not aware of alternatives. The problem, of course, is when they accidentally become friends with someone who knows autographs, and that person comes over for a martini and picks up the forged Ruth ball on the mantel and winces. Most of us would just spit up our olive and try not to drop the ball.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:08 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
The problem, of course, is when they accidentally become friends with someone who knows autographs, and that person comes over for a martini and picks up the forged Ruth ball on the mantel and winces. Most of us would just spit up our olive and try not to drop the ball.
I think I would just get another martini rather than address my friend's forged Ruth ball. I mean after 3 or 4 martinis that Ruth ball might look better and better !!!
Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
I think I would just get another martini rather than address my friend's forged Ruth ball. I mean after 3 or 4 martinis that Ruth ball might look better and better !!!
I have heard of beer goggles for women near closing time. Martini spectacles for forgeries is a new one.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 01-20-2017, 06:53 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

"Quote:
That means that they have laid off employees in the customer service dept. and they don't really care how this reflects on the service that their customers get."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Guess not.

Last edited by Forever Young; 01-20-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Ben,
It has been my experience in the past when dealing with customer service in all companies that when service goes bad one of the primary reasons is that people have been laid off and the current staff cannot properly handle the work load.
My statement was only speculative and I am sorry if I did not fully clarify this when I made the post that you referenced.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Ben,
It has been my experience in the past when dealing with customer service in all companies that when service goes bad one of the primary reasons is that people have been laid off and the current staff cannot properly handle the work load.
My statement was only speculative and I am sorry if I did not fully clarify this when I made the post that you referenced.
Ah ok.. I thought you had some insider info

It could be many reasons; higher volumes and need to hire more(nothing to do with layoffs but volume), restructuring, new software or a single person simply dropping the ball(grabbing from the que and not completing -example).

To jump to "layoffs" seems extreme to me without knowledge of that. Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by Forever Young; 01-20-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

So-called "Auction LOAs" or "Pre-Certs" are the autograph equivalent of popcorn farts. Worthless. All it guarantees is that you get to spend money with a TPG that the AH was not willing to spend. Everyone has horror stories. I won a single item from an auction with a JSA 'Auction LOA'. I took the item to JSA and they rejected it. It wasn't one among many items, it was the sole item in the lot, so that tells me all I need to know about the value of these silly pieces of paper.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-25-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:17 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
, so that tells me all I need to know about the value of these silly pieces of paper.
In my opinion and without trying to offend anyone the value of those pieces of paper .....are the equivalent of toilet paper for the collecting world.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Richard Simon

An auction COA, IMO, means that "someone" at a TPA looked at the autograph from a scan and thought it was ok. I believe that nothing more than that took place.
--
Old 01-25-2017, 07:09 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I think the auction houses are allowed to print them without anyone looking at the lots. If they fail within 30 days of the auction, the items can be returned. Possibly psa and jsa are ok with this? I just cant believe there can be a difference between and auction LOA and a real one. I'm wondering what repercussions either company could face.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors