NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-28-2014, 09:22 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default SON OF GOD - The movie

I know we're not supposed to discuss religion on the board (so I'll tread lightly), but we can discuss movies. I saw the movie tonight and it is truly the greatest movie I've ever seen. I don't think there was a dry eye in the theatre. They expect a BILLION people to see it world-wide. If that happens, it will be absolutely amazing. Highly recommended!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Kev1n @1les

I saw previews and it looked like the same exact footage from the bible series on History Channel (In the preview that I saw, they lifted a scene where Jesus tells Peter "we're going to change the world" which is a creative liscence to put it likely as I don't remember that quote in teh bible but, I digress).

Again, keeping it above board on movies vs religion, I always struggle with bible era movies because they give them british accents. It usually works out that the apostles are given British accent and Jesus is given a midwestern american accent. For as much criticism as "the passion" received, it was totally authentic with the language and subtitles.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:43 AM
David Pierson
Banned

I read the book and hated it, so I'll skip the movie.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I saw previews and it looked like the same exact footage from the bible series on History Channel ...
From what I understand it is a reedit of the History Channel special.

I have not seen either of them so I can't speak to the quality, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

David - thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably go see it tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Loved the book, and the folks who hate it, but two thumbs down on the movie.

Just got out and really wish I had gone to see Robocop, as planned.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Belltown Vintage

Last edited by Runscott; 03-05-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:14 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I think this sums it up fairly well: http://news.yahoo.com/why-jesus-movi...-politics.html
And if you scroll down to the bottom, I think this reader's comment sums up the article fairly well:
These movies are not made to compete for academy awards, which, by the way, usually go to actors who don't merit them. This was a superb movie, well produced, beautiful scenery, great make-up and costumes. The message it was supposed to convey came out loud and clear. The author of this article is the type of person who can benefit from the message. P.S. the theater was packed, so who needs a "professional critic" to tell us what we like or not?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Edited: content removed, as part of an ongoing program to create a kinder, gentler runscott.

Last edited by Runscott; 03-05-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I know we're not supposed to discuss religion on the board (so I'll tread lightly), but we can discuss movies. I saw the movie tonight and it is truly the greatest movie I've ever seen. I don't think there was a dry eye in the theatre. They expect a BILLION people to see it world-wide. If that happens, it will be absolutely amazing. Highly recommended!
+ a billion

Thank you David for posting this.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

I was just super turned-off by the Jesus character who just walked around for most of the movie as if he were on happy pills - no character development or personality - just a lot of smiling and happy thoughts. I seriously doubt this was anything at all like Jesus' actual life. It was so goofy that I was actually surprised when he quit smiling during the crucifixion scene, which was a huge improvement in all respects, over the previous scenes in the movie.

Last edited by Runscott; 03-12-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Clayton

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I watched an interview with (I think) a couple of the people who produced the movie and they were saying that they caught so much flak in the series they did because the character that played the part of Satan resembled the president too much. They said they didn't do that on purpose-but I did see the character, and it surely did look like him!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-15-2014, 10:25 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I believe I saw the same interview. One thing I wanted to clear up that was mentioned earlier in this thread is that this is not a re-edit of the Bible series. The producers did say they re-used some of the same footage, but most of it was new material not seen in the Bible series. They did say it was all shot at the same time. Again, I have not seen the Bible series (yet), I am going by what they said in the interview.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

Sorry about that. Still, they put together a movie by editing together bits and pieces of footage that was intended for the television series. The outfits were great, as was the cinematography. I just didn't think the Jesus character was realistic, and I don't think any of his disciples would have hooked up with a character like this. The best example I can give to explain my thoughts: if you think about the 'last supper' scene in this movie, versus the one in Mel Gibson's version, there is a huge attitude difference on the part of Jesus. But who knows?

Just to be very clear - I am a Christian an watch any movie I can that centers around Christ's life. But, as in 'Taladega Nights', we all have our own personal Jesus, and mine isn't the one in 'Son of God'. The reality is that none of us really know what the historical Jesus was like - we rely on our own imagination, based on the Bible, and the folks who produce these movies do the same.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Sorry about that. Still, they put together a movie by editing together bits and pieces of footage that was intended for the television series. The outfits were great, as was the cinematography. I just didn't think the Jesus character was realistic, and I don't think any of his disciples would have hooked up with a character like this. The best example I can give to explain my thoughts: if you think about the 'last supper' scene in this movie, versus the one in Mel Gibson's version, there is a huge attitude difference on the part of Jesus. But who knows?

Just to be very clear - I am a Christian an watch any movie I can that centers around Christ's life. But, as in 'Taladega Nights', we all have our own personal Jesus, and mine isn't the one in 'Son of God'. The reality is that none of us really know what the historical Jesus was like - we rely on our own imagination, based on the Bible, and the folks who produce these movies do the same.
I doubt he had many European features
Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Clayton

I'll eventually see it, but I'll wait until it comes out on PPV or something.

Sincerely, Clayton

* Edited my post & removed review note

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 03-16-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: removed review
Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 PM

My family and I went to see "Son of God". We all loved it, beginning to end, and hope to see it again. Very moving. Very, very moving. --Brian Powell
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I doubt he had many European features
I noticed that as well, and it bothered me. All the 'good guys' were beautiful Aryans, and everyone else looked like people from the regions would have looked, and not even necessarily beautiful versions.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Just got out and really wish I had gone to see Robocop, as planned.
Your beef with the Son of God is that it's not realistic, right? What's more believable - a movie about a half man / half robot cop, or Jesus with European features and an English accent?

I guess they could have shot the movie with all Middle Eastern actors in Aramaic with English subtitles. Would that have made you enjoy the movie more?

The movie was made with the purpose of sending a message (not to win an Academy Award). That message came across loud and clear.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Your beef with the Son of God is that it's not realistic, right? What's more believable - a movie about a half man / half robot cop, or Jesus with European features and an English accent?

I guess they could have shot the movie with all Middle Eastern actors in Aramaic with English subtitles. Would that have made you enjoy the movie more?

The movie was made with the purpose of sending a message (not to win an Academy Award). That message came across loud and clear.
Sorry I antagonized you and I am glad you enjoyed your movie.

Last edited by Runscott; 03-17-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by packs; 03-18-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Nevermind.
That's what I should have said as soon as I read the initial post.