NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Happy 84th Birthday to MR. Henry Louis Aaron

Never a more humble Superstar has lived.

You want to talk about everyday heroes, he is one. The way he lives his life and how he treats others.

Bless You MR. 'Bad Henry'.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Mmmmm...... "how he treats others" . . . .seems like a number of people on this board have had very crappy experiences meeting him.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:18 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Humble? Lol far from it. But happy birthday to Mr. Aaron
Old 02-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Humble? Lol far from it. But happy birthday to Mr. Aaron

Wow! I sure didn't expect that kind of negative reaction.

I'm glad HE was always treated politely.

We should all walk a mile in someone's shoes before passing judgement.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Wow! I sure didn't expect that kind of negative reaction.

I'm glad HE was always treated politely.

We should all walk a mile in someone's shoes before passing judgement.
Walk a mile in his shoes? C'mon. He's a famous athlete who will never have a financial issue in his life. I'm not saying he's Satan, but I've heard lousy things about him FOR YEARS. Is he bitter about all the racist crap he had to endure? Maybe. Was it horrible what he endured. Absolutely. Undeniable. But I can imagine millions of poor seniors would trade places with him in a minute.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Ok...back to celebrating one of the greatest of all time.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Man, tough crowd. Endure death threats and see how you feel about racism. Is he supposed to be a saint, or eternally grateful because he has earned a good living?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Man, tough crowd. Endure death threats and see how you feel about racism. Is he supposed to be a saint, or eternally grateful because he has earned a good living?
No. He is supposed to be grateful that he is able to earn decent living selling his autograph. If he can't be civil and an ambassador to the game, he should only do private signings.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:56 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

+1. No one has to go to shows. If the whole thing makes you uncomfortable don't do it. But if you do it with a chip on your shoulder and look down at or belittle people paying $$ to meet you I can't excuse that.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-05-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Jeff P

Man, you guys could make Lemons out of Lemonade ;-)

jeff
Old 02-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Man, you guys could make Lemons out of Lemonade ;-)

jeff
Sorry, but I have 3 friends who met him at different shows over the years and all found him incredibly rude and dismissive.

His importance in baseball and American History is undeniable. Doesn't make him humble or other things the OP said.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-05-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Al Richter

Default Aaron

I do not know him. Never met him. Do not do not do autographs. I am glad I saw him play in person. Great ball player.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Trying to sneak a fastball by Hank Aaron was like trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster. Such a great quote.

Another favorite of mine is, "Henry did not shuffle." I forget who said it, but the context was that according to the speaker anyhow when the Braves moved to Atlanta in 1966 there was still a segment of the population that expected blacks to behave a certain deferential way.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:34 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default I'm named after him

Happy birthday!

My dad grew up just outside of Milwaukee in the 40's & 50's. Hank was his favorite player. He was the bravest of the Braves.

I was at a card show 20ish years ago in a suburb of Detroit and Hank was doing autos for $20 each. I got signed photos for all my aunts & uncles and while he was signing I told him that I was named after him. He looked me in the eyes and smiled. A great moment in my life I will always cherish.

Thanks Hank!
Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
Happy birthday!

My dad grew up just outside of Milwaukee in the 40's & 50's. Hank was his favorite player. He was the bravest of the Braves.

I was at a card show 20ish years ago in a suburb of Detroit and Hank was doing autos for $20 each. I got signed photos for all my aunts & uncles and while he was signing I told him that I was named after him. He looked me in the eyes and smiled. A great moment in my life I will always cherish.

Thanks Hank!
Your name's not Hank.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:10 AM
H Murphy

Quote:
Happy birthday!

Thanks Hank!
Aaron "Hammerin" Seefeldt, I like it. Your dad did a great job !
Old 02-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Sorry, but I have 3 friends who met him at different shows over the years and all found him incredibly rude and dismissive.
Three friends over years doesn't seem like a large enough sampling for me to adopt a negative opinion of the man. By "incredibly rude," what is meant, exactly?

Perhaps the OP had a different experience altogether with the man, and so his opinion is as valid as another's.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 AM

Here's my Hank with a nice vintage sig. I don't care what people have to say about meeting him at a card show. The amount of hate he endured in his lifetime pales in comparison to the one minute or two minutes you had to stand in front of him while he didn't look at you or something:

Last edited by packs; 02-06-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Happy birthday!

Thanks Hank!

I would have asked him to sign as follows

To AARON S from H AARON

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Default Aaron charity

Hank Aaron has the "Chasing the Dream" Foundation to donate charity scholarships to under priveleged youth. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron's philanthropic efforts extend to medicine - has donated $3. Million to the School of Medicine in Atlanta. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron's generosity extends to Cooperstown as well. Aaron has pledged his entire collection of baseball artifacts to the museum. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

During the holiday season, Aaron and other HOFers lead the pack in making contributions to communities and individuals across the country. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron with other sluggers from around the world helps promote baseball for young people as a way of advancing their lives. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron has teamed with MLB to raise awareness, support and donations for charity endeavors. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank aaron has charity tennis event to raise money for medical students. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron has used his money to fund a multitude of philanthropic endeavors ranging from the environment to nuclear disarmament. Working with Ted Turner, $1. Billion was donated to the United Nations. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Very nice. Again, Thank you Mr. Aaron

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 02-06-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Hank Aaron has the "Chasing the Dream" Foundation to donate charity scholarships to under priveleged youth. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron's philanthropic efforts extend to medicine - has donated $3. Million to the School of Medicine in Atlanta. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron's generosity extends to Cooperstown as well. Aaron has pledged his entire collection of baseball artifacts to the museum. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

During the holiday season, Aaron and other HOFers lead the pack in making contributions to communities and individuals across the country. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron with other sluggers from around the world helps promote baseball for young people as a way of advancing their lives. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron has teamed with MLB to raise awareness, support and donations for charity endeavors. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank aaron has charity tennis event to raise money for medical students. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Hank Aaron has used his money to fund a multitude of philanthropic endeavors ranging from the environment to nuclear disarmament. Working with Ted Turner, $1. Billion was donated to the United Nations. Thank you Mr. Aaron.

Very nice. Again, Thank you Mr. Aaron

awesome!

Thank you Mr Backstroke
Old 02-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Brendan Mullen

This thread made me think. Imagine being able to sign your name.....and a $100 bill appearing. It's almost like printing money. Hank Aaron and others have the ability to simply sign their name and money appears. It's like the proverbial "money growing on trees"....
Old 02-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Three friends over years doesn't seem like a large enough sampling for me to adopt a negative opinion of the man. By "incredibly rude," what is meant, exactly?

Perhaps the OP had a different experience altogether with the man, and so his opinion is as valid as another's.
Just look at the thread, " Best & Worst Experience Meeting an Athlete." Any player making that list more than 2 or 3 times, either best or worst, likely deserves to be placed in that category. The reviews are not good.

Check reviews of a random movie. Find a 1 star movie, watch it and let me know what you think of it. Some may like it. Most will not. Meeting Hank Aaron, for me, was a 1 star experience and a HUGE let down. I am still sad almost 20 years later that someone I Idolized as a child was so unfriendly to everyone. Many collectors have had a similar 1 star experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't care what people have to say about meeting him at a card show. The amount of hate he endured in his lifetime pales in comparison to the one minute or two minutes you had to stand in front of him while he didn't look at you or something
How much "hate he endured" may explain his poor behavior, but it is not an excuse for it IMO. Lot's of athletes experience racism and hatred. Most of them are very friendly and love spending time with the fans. If not, they should at least figure out a way to put on a fake smile for a couple of hours while they are earning thousands of dollars greeting and signing for the people who make it possible for them to earn a living.

Almost 30 years on and off in this hobby and there are a few common themes I hear over and over, again and again and again. Brooks Robinson is AWESOME! Tom Seaver, Willie Mays, and Hank Aaron are not nice in that order. I am sure a few people have had a different experience meeting these players, but many that have met these 3 players say they are miserable. Where there there is smoke, there is fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Never a more humble Superstar has lived.

You want to talk about everyday heroes, he is one. The way he lives his life and how he treats others.

Bless You MR. 'Bad Henry'.
I am going to bow out of this thread now. The only reason I replied was the OP stated or implied Hank Aaron is humble, treats others well, and respectful. You folks are not going to convince those of us who have been treated poorly by Hank Aaron and observed him treating others poorly any more than we are going to convince you that he shouldn't be nominated for sainthood.

Last edited by slipk1068; 02-06-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: sentence structure, typo. etc.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:14 PM

All I have to say to that is the very same people standing in line for Hank's autograph threatened his life for years: fans. I do not blame him for not wanting to be around fans or being skeptical of people. I think that was certainly more valid in the early days after his retirement but people get set in their ways and even though society has changed some, the faces may look the same to him.

Last edited by packs; 02-06-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Tim

Default Young Hank..........

A 19 year old Hank Aaron about to board the train in Mobile, Alabama to join the Indianapolis Clowns (1953). So much lied ahead of him. The second photo is just one year later......1954 rookie (#5).

Happy 84th Hank. I was lucky enough to see you play a few times at Dodger Stadium in the late 60's. You didn't disappoint......I saw a couple of your 755.

Last edited by tjb1952tjb; 02-06-2018 at 10:10 PM.