NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-22-2024, 11:59 AM

Default Pressing vs Card Doctoring?

Why do comic book collectors accept pressing and other restoration techniques and us card collectors frown on it?

Would it be accepted in the card world if grading companies distinguished it as an altered card as they do in comics?
Old 03-22-2024, 12:09 PM
Will.i.@m $t@dy

What's the tell in comic book pressing, how do they know? Graders really can't tell when a card has been smoothed out, unless it's been done so forcefully the card stock is smashed thin.

If you want a card, you might not get a deal. If you want a deal, you might not get a card.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:10 PM
David M.

Baseball cards have always been different than most other paper collectibles related to restoration. I can't tell you how it all started, but that's the current situation.

As far as cards vs comics with relation to pressing, I think it has to do with the thickness of the paper involved. With baseball cards the graders have usually been able to tell when a baseball card corner has been pressed down. With something as thin as a comic, I doubt it would be easy to detect.

I thought it was interesting what they say on the CGC website regarding pressing for comics:

"CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration. Read more on the CGC website. CGC also does not consider dry cleaning to be restoration, which we automatically include in our pressing service when necessary. Dry cleaning’s main purpose is to remove soiling or unwanted substance or writing from a cover, particularly in the white areas. Dry cleaning does not remove tanning, stains, pen or marker, sun shadows or foxing. If we feel your book’s grade would benefit from a dry cleaning, we will automatically perform this during the press process."
Old 03-22-2024, 03:30 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcookie View Post
Why do comic book collectors accept pressing and other restoration techniques and us card collectors frown on it?

Would it be accepted in the card world if grading companies distinguished it as an altered card as they do in comics?
Cleaning and pressing comics does not result in an altered grade though. Because they're not alterations lol
Old 03-22-2024, 07:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Baseball cards have always been different than most other paper collectibles related to restoration. I can't tell you how it all started, but that's the current situation.

As far as cards vs comics with relation to pressing, I think it has to do with the thickness of the paper involved. With baseball cards the graders have usually been able to tell when a baseball card corner has been pressed down. With something as thin as a comic, I doubt it would be easy to detect.

I thought it was interesting what they say on the CGC website regarding pressing for comics:

"CGC does not consider pressing to be restoration. Read more on the CGC website. CGC also does not consider dry cleaning to be restoration, which we automatically include in our pressing service when necessary. Dry cleaning’s main purpose is to remove soiling or unwanted substance or writing from a cover, particularly in the white areas. Dry cleaning does not remove tanning, stains, pen or marker, sun shadows or foxing. If we feel your book’s grade would benefit from a dry cleaning, we will automatically perform this during the press process."
If PSA was smart, they would offer in house doctoring I mean restoration services themselves. Vertical integration. Imagine the website: X has three decades of experience doctoring cards, and has doctored some of the most famous cards in history. His expertise ranges from Old Judges to T206s to Goudeys to Topps. PSA is pleased to offer his services to our customers at a reasonable charge.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-22-2024 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:45 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If PSA was smart, they would offer in house doctoring I mean restoration services themselves. Vertical integration. Imagine the website: X has three decades of experience doctoring cards, and has doctored some of the most famous cards in history. His expertise ranges from Old Judges to T206s to Goudeys to Topps. PSA is pleased to offer his services to our customers at a reasonable charge.
They have it on the coin side...https://www.pcgs.com/restoration as does NGC
https://www.ngccoin.com/ncs-conservation/
Old 03-22-2024, 07:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

I have posted this before. It's Talmudic.

PCGS Restoration Dos and Don'ts
Submitting a coin for PCGS Restoration in no way guarantees the upgrade of your coin. If the coin is already in a PCGS holder, it is guaranteed not to downgrade, nothing more. Through our restoration service, PCGS is committed to preserving and restoring coins to their original and natural condition.

Toning
PCGS Restoration will not remove original toning simply to make a coin white.
PCGS Restoration will never add toning to a coin.
In cases where PCGS determines that removing toning is necessary and desirable and will not detract from the coin, it may be done. This type of toning may be the result of improper storage, interaction with corrosive materials, or a stain due to an accidental spill.
Surface Contaminants
PCGS Restoration will remove any contaminants that are determined to have been deliberately and artificially applied. Examples include putty, dumdum, grease and other substances known to be used by “coin doctors.”
Restoration will remove contaminants introduced to the coin's surface through improper care or storage. Examples include PVC or Verdigris.
Dirt or debris can often be removed through a gentle rinse.
PCGS Restoration will never add any substance to the surface of a coin.
Spots
Spots on coins can be the result of a variety of causes. Many spots can be removed, yet some cannot be removed without damaging the coin.
PCGS will not attempt to remove a spot unless it is determined that the spot significantly detracts from the coin's overall appearance or is active and will continue to grow.
PCGS will not attempt to restore a spotted coin if that in our opinion, a spot is so deep that removal would lower the coin's overall condition.
Older spots such as old spittle or old thumbprints often cannot be removed without stripping the coin's original surface and will not be attempted.
Newer contaminants such as recent fingerprints can be removed. Also, certain spots due to corrosive interactions can often be removed without impairing the surface.
Metal
PCGS Restoration will never add, remove or alter metal. This includes engaging in well-known “coin doctoring” practices such as smoothing, whizzing, polishing, engraving, etc.
Issues such as scratches, dings, planchet flaws or bending will not be addressed. If it is determined that a coin suffering from one or more of these problems does not have other issues that can be addressed through Restoration, the coin will be returned as is.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:54 PM
Chase

I know nothing about coins but that is ponderous. Seems overly nuanced from my vantage point.