NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Is it ethical to alter and sell cards without disclosing that they were altered?
Yes, it is perfectly acceptable and ethical to sell an altered without disclosing this to the buyer 5 4.24%
No, it is unethical to not disclose alterations the alterations 34 28.81%
No, it is unethical to not disclose the alterations, and it is fraud to do so 79 66.95%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2024, 08:30 AM

I agree. Not sure why you'd need to disclose previous grades (assuming we're not talking about sneaking a trimmed card by). The grades rendered by TPG are opinions. I wouldn't tell someone, hey, two previous dealers thought this card was VG but a third guy said it was VG-EX while trying to sell my card.

Last edited by packs; 03-21-2024 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ask Kurt if he's willing to drink it.
Or provide a MSDS as he should.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:35 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I see we have a new litmus test. Would you lick your cards?
No, they don't taste good.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:09 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

To echo what others have said, this poll is meaningless without a definition of altered. People then fall on a spectrum of how far they deem something to be acceptable, and won't be captured by 2 or 3 poll responses. Personally, I couldn't care less if a card I buy formerly had a stain on it. I see it as no different than someone wiping away some dirt on a vintage car they're trying to sell. But if that car had a part that was replaced without disclosing it (or a card that had color added to it without disclosure), that's a problem.

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 03-21-2024, 01:10 PM
Mike Henry

Quote:
This might have been tongue-in-cheek, but I'll bite. A core premise among many defenders of card soaking is that distilled water is acceptable. Presumably, distilled water is acceptable because they've used it before, seen no adverse side effects, and made their own determination that it doesn't change the card's composition once it dries. They can't make the same assumptions about Kurt's Card Care solution because Kurt doesn't disclose what's in it.

So the litmus test would be "if you're not sure you can safely drink Kurt's Card Care because you don't know what's in it, then you shouldn't be making unsupported claims it works just like water."

And, no, I wouldn't lick my cards. But if I did, I'd consider them "Altered - Saliva Added."
Old 03-21-2024, 01:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

I guess the good news is much of this may be moot when the hobby moves on to counterfeits so good they can't be detected. Then the name of the game will be to alter cards to make them look worse, to ward off any suspicion they just look too nice for what they are.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:54 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
OK here are two more ethical or not questions like all the other examples in this thread....
If you sent a card to PSA and Beckett and both times it came back as trimmed and a third time sent to SGC and gets a numeric grade of 6, 7 whatever, would you have to disclose the two trimmed results when selling the SGC card?

OR, if you cracked out a PSA 4 and resubmitted and got a 7 the second time , would you need to disclose that it was previously a PSA 4 and now its a 7?
No, of course not. Unless of course you trimmed the card yourself and are just trying to resubmit until you can sneak one past the goalie, but I don't think that's what you meant here. Graders get stuff wrong often. Even the experienced ones.

I actually got into a huge bidding war recently over a 1953 Topps Jackie Robinson that was graded as "trimmed" by SGC. I ended up winning it for about 3.5x "comps". Clearly, I wasn't the only experienced grader who disagreed with their assessment. They typically sell for about $500 in an AA slab, but I paid $1670 for it, which is about the price of a 4. That's how confident I was that the graders were wrong. I cracked it out and sent it to PSA where they promptly gave it the PSA 6 that it deserved.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:57 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I guess the good news is much of this may be moot when the hobby moves on to counterfeits so good they can't be detected. Then the name of the game will be to alter cards to make them look worse, to ward off any suspicion they just look too nice for what they are.
Actually reminds me of a story about pearls (and a trade, since we all love a good trade) from a recent WSJ article.

Relevant bits here:

In 1917, Maisie Plant, the young wife of a rich businessman, couldn’t stop admiring a magnificent double strand of pearls from Cartier. The Parisian jeweler was looking for a U.S. headquarters in New York. Pierre Cartier offered to swap the necklace, priced at $1 million, for the Plants’ mansion on Fifth Avenue and 52nd Street in Manhattan. Maisie’s husband, Morton, promptly agreed to the trade.

What happened afterward is a cautionary tale.

Why would an industrial baron like Morton Plant—with vast holdings in railroads, steamships and hotels—trade his elegant mansion for a few shiny lumps that came out of an oyster?

For millennia, pearls had been prized around the world and were often more valuable than gold or even diamonds. In 1917, the $1 million the Cartier pearls fetched was worth at least $24 million in today’s money.

What neither Plant nor Cartier could know was that just months earlier, Japanese entrepreneur Kokichi Mikimoto had industrialized the technology to create cultured pearls.

Mikimoto was soon mass-producing them. The price of natural pearls began collapsing in the 1920s and stayed down for decades.

In 1957, after Maisie died, her Cartier necklace sold at auction for $151,000.

In recent years prices for the finest natural pearls have rebounded. In 2015, a Cartier pearl necklace comparable to Maisie Plant’s sold at a Sotheby’s auction in Geneva for about $7 million.

Even so, that’s about one-third of the price of the Plant necklace in 1917, adjusted for inflation.

Cartier got the much better end of that pearls-for-real-estate swap. In 2016, a comparably sized, less-renowned property two blocks up Fifth Avenue from the landmark Cartier building sold for $525 million.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-21-2024, 02:28 PM
Bill Roberts

Is it ethical for an auction house to not disclose that a grading company rejected a card the auction house has in its auction because of concerns the card is a reproduction? Would love to hear the opinions of some of the auction house owners who frequent the board (Scott R. and Scott B., Al, etc.).
Old 03-21-2024, 02:45 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
No, they don't taste good.
Actually the Cracker Jacks taste pretty good; the more stains the better. T205 and T206 don't have much taste, and T3 taste awful - like old cardboard.

Of the post-war issues, cards cut from Milk Dud boxes taste the best.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:02 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Actually the Cracker Jacks taste pretty good; the more stains the better. T205 and T206 don't have much taste, and T3 taste awful - like old cardboard.

Of the post-war issues, cards cut from Milk Dud boxes taste the best.
Well, now we've arrived full circle. Is there an obligation to disclose that you licked a card? Surely, some people here would consider it fraud if you opted not to disclose this info at the time of sale.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:08 PM
Jim B.

While we're on the subject of licking cards................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21_JollyFront.jpg (205.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 21_JollyBack.jpg (187.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 03-21-2024, 03:47 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
Is it ethical for an auction house to not disclose that a grading company rejected a card the auction house has in its auction because of concerns the card is a reproduction? Would love to hear the opinions of some of the auction house owners who frequent the board (Scott R. and Scott B., Al, etc.).
Unless the AH is grading it themselves, how would they know it was rejected?

If they were grading it, I can't imagine they would still have it in their auction. But who knows these days.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:07 PM

This German transfer from 1923 somehow avoided being licked by a young tongue who had not the access to a source of running water.

Brian (not from my collection...my tongue has been up and down my non-Ruth example, and if I owned a Ruth, it would be dealt with in likewise fashion)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg germantransferruth.jpg (6.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
Jim B.

more transfers..............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth.jpg (186.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:33 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
This German transfer from 1923 somehow avoided being licked by a young tongue who had not the access to a source of running water.

Brian (not from my collection...my tongue has been up and down my non-Ruth example, and if I owned a Ruth, it would be dealt with in likewise fashion)
Thank you, Brian. I think you should definitely disclose which cards you've licked before you sell them.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2024, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRuth View Post
While we're on the subject of licking cards................
Are you selling this SGC card?

Last edited by nj3356673; 03-22-2024 at 08:34 AM.