NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Default The "hey dude" email from GAI

Posted By: Bob

Anyone else get one of these which proclaims their new special 10 cards in 10 days guaranteed pricing? I thought the email beginning "Hey dude" was just a tad unprofessional.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

No, I have never used them, but that sounds like a joke. I cant imagine any company started a letter like that.

Rob

Old 03-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

I replied for them to remove me from their e-mail list.

-Alan

Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Well, it is a California company.

It's an odd phenomenon. My mom, very prim and proper, season ticket holder to the opera, etc., but born and raised in Southern California, refers to me as "dude." She's turning 70 this year.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul "Dude" Moss

It was certainly unusual to say the least.

I suppose the obvious parody to the movie title sprang to more than one mind here especially in light of the recent "move".

"Dude, Where's My Car(ds)"

Old 03-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Tylicki

Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

To me, starting an email with "hey dude" seems like a minor offense at best. They're a sports memorabilia company, not a funeral home. Would I start a business letter that way? No, though I was raised in Wisconsin.

I remember when a Wisconsinite friend visited down south for the first time. A women speaking directly to him said "Y'all." He looked around around to see who she was talking to. So, "Hey dude" isn't necessarily the most disconcerting thing you can say to a Northerner.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean C

I didn't receive it, but I've heard about it. I didn't think it could get any worse for them than when they had Mike Baker calling around for submissions, but apparently it can. Then again, Rick Giddings is now one of their autograph authenticators, so take that for what you will.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Look at this way, at least it wasn't "No way, bro"

For some reason reminds me of the Taxi episode where Jim Ignatowski mentioned he lost his reverend's license after being the reverend of a nude wedding in the middle of the woods.
-- "The whole wedding party was nude?," Alex said.
-- "No, just me."

I remember an interview where Dennis Hopper told about his drug use during the filming of Apocalypse Now in the Philippines. He said he had a dream he was running through the jungle and when he woke up he was nude with dog bites on a highway. He said Marlon Brando didn't think much of him.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

RICK IS GOING TO BE AN AUTHENTICATOR? I DIDN'T KNOW HE COULD DO ANYTHING EXCEPT PISS OFF NET54 BOARD MEMBERS......

Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

I believe Rick will only be authenticating those autographs that were signed in all caps.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

Rick got a sweet deal: He works Mondays only.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

That's how he rolls.

-Al

Old 03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

http://www.gacard.net/authentication_experts.asp

Rick (Gizmo) Giddings
Vintage Autograph Authenticator
Experience: 20 years

Rick Giddings took a life long passion for autographs and baseball cards and turned it into a very successful business.
His many years of studying and collecting autographs made his one of the most sought after opinions in our industry.
This has allowed him to have on of the best exemplar libraries in the world. Examining and documenting the various vintage
signatures over the years has given Rick the skills and expertise that are sought after by dealers, auction houses and collectors.
Rick’s professionalism, wealth of knowledge and impeccable reputation make him a welcome addition to the Global Authentication team of autograph experts.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

From GAI's website:

"Experience: 20 years

Rick Giddings took a life long passion for autographs and baseball cards and turned it into a very successful business.
His many years of studying and collecting autographs made his one of the most sought after opinions in our industry.
This has allowed him to have on of the best exemplar libraries in the world. Examining and documenting the various vintage
signatures over the years has given Rick the skills and expertise that are sought after by dealers, auction houses and collectors.
Rick’s professionalism, wealth of knowledge and impeccable reputation make him a welcome addition to the Global Authentication team of autograph experts."

Note - I did not mispell the word "one" above.

So, maybe someone should send the "Gizmo" threads to GAI to let them know just how impeccable a reputation Giddings has or to highlight his "professionalism". I've used GAI in the past but now that I see good ole' Gizmo will be involved with them, I could never bring myself to submit anything again.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

What a train wreck.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny Walsh

I was brought up on Long Island in New York. If GAI were a New York based company, the letter might of started with
"Listen Up Knuckleheads"

I don't see any harm done by the "Hey Dude" thing.
But then again, I lived in So Cal for 16 years.

Besides, I can be a bit of a knucklehead from time to time!

I live in Texas now, but I havn't been here long enough to know what a Texas based GAI company would say!?

Maybe Leon will chime in on with his Texas toughts?

I am Hopful that Mr. Baker & his Clan will make a Strong Comeback. Heck, why root against them.... it's in the Hobby's best interests that they make it.....imho...

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 03-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

I'M SPEECHLESS! UNBELIEVABLE! GIDDINGS, AN EXPERT? PROFESSIONAL?

Old 03-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan U

Denny, is that a Curly Colgan's Chip? Looks like a GAI 8.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Wow. Giddings working for GAI? I can't even imagine the sequence of steps, conversations and decisions that led to that.

I will never give one nickel to any business in which Giddings has any interest or connection, and that is purely because of his behavior on this board.

Joann

Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think Rick Giddings is a little too tightly wound to be authenticating autographs. Sounds like someone who might fly off the handle and lose some of his objectivity.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

Denny, I have the Moe and Larry and would like your Curly to complete my 3 stooges Colgan's subset. LMK

Old 03-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry G

Hey Dude...Don't be afraid...take a sad song and make it better.......

wish that was true, I sure miss GAI in their heydey.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

1)SGC
2)PSA
3)Beckett
.(big drop)
4)PRO
.(even lower)
5)GAI

Old 03-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

What is/are the problem(s) with this Giddings guy ?
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

Can someone publicly tell me who Rick Giddings is? Here is yet another name from the autograph world that has popped up and begins the process of adding value to items with their opinion. Love the fact that he has "on of the best exemplar libraries in the world". Why do so many people think that's the key to authenticating. If you have a Mastro catalog, BANG, you have several thousand exemplars in hand.

Oh, by addressing me as "dude"..."dude,I'm not interested in doing business with you."

DJ, the dude, or duder-ino if your not into the whole brevity thing and all.
(by memory)

Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Richard, DJ,

At the time of the recent GAI shutdown he came on this board (TYPING IN CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY!) At first he was slamming GAI, but as time passed, he was suddenly attacking board members and, for some reason defending GAI. He came across as a real hot head and an idiot.

Now he works for them?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Can you really trust someone to examine handwriting when their use of the English language is so horrendous?

Here is an example of Gizmo's handiwork - from a post on 12/12/07

"GAI is now in new building,and yes website is up!We were in southern california,and actually seen the new offices.We recovered a portion of our customers monies for lost items from UPS.And now want to thank Mike Baker,and Steve Rocchi,Kevin Hammond for there help in trying to make this bad situation a little better.We as a company now will weigh our options up on whether or not we will continue with GAI? We did get invited to meet with PSA,and let me tell you,what a facility,and amazed after the tour of vaulted doors!And was very impressed with the way this NASDAQ traded company does business,clearly the leader in graded cards in the industry!
Anyway,questions about GLOBAL AUTHENTICATION,call 1-949-366-9500.
PSA has a toll free # 1-800-325-1121

Happy holidays to all in the industry!
GIZMO'S SPORTSCARDS/RICK GIDDINGS-1-815-645-8282"

--------
Here's another from 12/12/07

"For your information MR.DWYER or whoever you are,you are nothing but a thorn in ones butt! I am very close to the guys from GAI,and if you were a submission center and went through the nightmare we did,you could then make an opinion,beings you are not,I feel you need to keep your flap shut!I actually was in there new office last monday,understand the problems they are going through,but have to make a concious decision on where and who we will do business with!And i'm actually a little upset with the fact,you made fun of the name DICK,cause that is my fathers name,and very disrespectful in the way you used my fathers name.My history in this business will far outreach anything you have ever done in your pathetic,consistent ripping of people and their opinions,and I will make my own decision on who we represent,and am not ashamed that I represented GAI for a long time!And yes,we stated our opinion on what was going on with GAI,and I really was trying to be informative to the public on their status as of last week when i was there?Think maybe Leon should take you off this forum,for you have no knowledge or common sense in this business!
want to speak to me in person?
here is my number----815-645-8282
Lets keep this board free from uninformed individuals,like yourself,who need a life!
Again,good luck to all the major grading and authenticating businesses GAI,PSA,SGC,BECKETT,AND JSA!
May santa claus drop a deuce in your stocking Dicky boy!"

---------
I thought this was a particularly nice passage - and very professional for someone working for a NASDAQ traded company.

"DWYER
December 12 2007, 3:33 PM

If you are a founder of this board,then they need to get rid of you?That message was not a vicious attack,but merely an opinion,and just like the _ hole that you are!And to inform the public of what is going on?I think your just a habitual complainer,and have no knowledge on anything?

BUT WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE---MERRY CHRISTMAS!SANTA WILL LEAVE YOU YOUR DUE!---OR DEUCE??? HA!HA!"

-------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from the numerous misspellings and run-on sentences note the random usage of punctuation. Even my first grader knows when to use a question mark. GAI should be very proud of themselves for hiring such a classy individual as Mr Gizmo Giddings.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Ok -- can we finally and unanimously end the discussion on GAI? Is Gizmo's employment there the proverbial final nail in the coffin?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Our buddy Dick summed it up best when he said:

"NO---COLLEGE--CANT YOU SEE BY THE PRINT NYC BOY?
QUIT A JOB THAT PROBABLY MAKES MORE THEN YOU EVER WILL,TO HAVE MY HOBBY,MY BUSINESS!AND MY MENTORS ARE FROM THIS HOBBY---NOT A BOOK WRITER WITH SOME KIND OF CERTIFICATE SAYING "I MADE IT MOM" AT THE AGE OF 25?
PLEASE GET A CLUE!

A REAL AUTHOR OR MENTOR WOULD BE SOMEONE LIKE BOB KOEHLER--FROM WISCONSIN--MILWAUKEE BASEBALL EXPERT!"

No college degree; no problem - GAI is hiring.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'd question the high school that gave ol' Gizmo a diploma.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

The scary thing is that according to their website Giddings is the ONLY one who can authenticate vintage autographs.
--

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

Is Steve Rocchi still with Global?
--

Unknown author
--
The Boss

Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Administrator

The nails were driven into that coffin during that whole eviction mess (a mess that Mr. Giddings was highly critical of). Having Giddings a member of their authentication team (along with their computer guy trying to drum up submissions)is the shoveling of dirt onto said coffin.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Moss

Considering the new CEO has allegedly, a wide experience in the business world including a stint as CEO of Donruss, I cannot comprehend how a person with such qualifications could ever allow such an email to be sent out to the public. Here was their one chance to reach out to the collecting and dealing public to mend fences, or at least make an attempt, and show that they are very much an ongoing enterprise. Instead, we are greeted with something that is far from professional and frankly reflects poorly upon the company. Years ago, back in the real world, I was once the president of a publicly traded company, and nothing, absolutely nothing was released to the public without my personal approval. You just don't let this kind of thing happen if you are genuinely in control of all aspects of the business. Though this email might seem to be a minor faux pas, looking at the reaction generated indicates that the perception of the company is one that cannot be taken seriously. Perception rapidly becomes reality.

Regarding Mr. Giddings, as a CEO of a company, I certainly would not associate with a person in any capacity that had gone onto a chatboard, blasted my company in a most reckless, unprofessional manner, and recommended a competitor while they were an agent of my company even if these actions had ocurred prior to my tenure. To be quite blunt, I wouldn't even allow them through the front door.

If he actually reads this thread, here's a tip free of charge. When pitching your business website and feature photos of the "team", for heavens sakes, get them in jackets and ties looking like pros, and not in open shirts wearing bling and caps. At least get them to look somewhat professional, someone to whom I would entrust my goods and more importantly, my money.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Administrator

that Rick has given up his store and card business (and serving as a GAI submission center) to authenticate autographs for them.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

GAI has been dead for some time, but the greeting used in an email is being discussed here as if it had some incredible significance. It's just the salutation.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The "hey dude" might only be a salutation but it's sort of analogous to listening to a 1 on 1 sales presentation with the presenter wearing a humongous boil right square in the middle of their forehead. It's sort of a hard to look them in the eye and not see the boil. All I would remember from the sales presentation is that the guy had a huge boil. The rest would be blah blah blah.... Paul is correct too (obviously) in that when you are trying to make a comeback from circling the drain you don't want your first announcement ruined by unprofessionalism. Just one email...sure, but another nail in the coffin. For the record I too think competition is good and wouldn't have minded another grading company. My guess is that Beckett will pick up some steam soon in their vintage grading .......best regards

edited typo

Old 03-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

leon - like the superbowl commercial?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

Personally I have never had a problem with thier grading of cards. It sounds like some of you have personal issues with certain people who work there. That has nothing to do with thier card grading and should not be used against them.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Keyway-

The "issue" for most I think is that a major grading company shut down its doors, didn't answer phone calls or emails and lied about what was going on (relocating for a church expansion). I don't care how they "grade" cards at that point.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

The point I was trying to make when I started this thread was that I found it very unprofessional and slightly bizarre to send an email which started off "hey dude." If it had been me, I would have started off "Dear Collector" or "Dear Fellow Hobbyist" or "Dear Former Customer" or something which had a little tact and class as opposed to "hey dude!" I didn't mean to imply that no one had ever called me "dude" before I just thought that coming from a corporation which was trying to recover from a PR nightmare and establish credibility in the hobby, it was kind of bizarre.
I wish GAI and Mike Baker all the luck in the world but I am submitting 100% to SGC now and in the future.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Bob, you are expressing proper etiquette, and of course most would follow your lead when composing a business letter. There's nothing inherently offensive about "Hey, Dude," but, as you point out, the phrase might not be prudent at the top of a business proposal. When you're a company trying to get back on it's feet, its prudent to appear formal and business-like, rather than casual. If a company is selling surf boards out of Santa Cruz, the phrase might be appropriate.

Though, I would classify "Hey Dude" as more of a curious greeting than an offense. If it came in a letter from an estate planner or stock broker, I would wonder.

In writing business letters or emails, I have three rules:
1) Use the recipient's name.
2) If you use the recipient's name, make sure you use his correct name. When writing to John, saying "Hello John," goes over nicely. Saying "Hello Jim," not so nicely.
3) If you aren't sure of the recipient's name, don't use his name.

Some other assorted rules I've accumulated for when dealing with potential business customers:

9) With a potential customer named James, don't assume he goes by Jimbo Baby.
11) If his last name is Manson, don't ask if he's related to Charles Manson. Same goes with Marilyn Manson.
14) Don't say that someone's daughter in the photo looks like a skank.
27) Don't wipe your shoes on his cat.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dude

What if you don't know if the dude you're emailing is a dude or not?
What's the female equivalent of a dude?

Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Babe or Chick

I must say that I no longer understand neither this thread nor its direction

Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Not dudette?

Steve

Old 03-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

According to Hollister (popular teen clothing company, a division of Abercrombie & Fitch), the female equivalent of a "dude" is a "betty".

Old 03-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Administrator

What made Rick Giddings go off on me was the fact that I called him "Dick" Giddings in my posts about him. He offended Board members Jon Canfield, Leon, and a few others. I wasn't the only one he was pissed at. If someone has the link to all of Dick's rage, I would like to read it again for the laughs.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Administrator

All of Mr. Giddings rantings and ravings are saved for posterity here. Just run a search for his name, and you'll find them all.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Dick Giddings deservers his own forum! Wonder if he's stupid enough to pick a fight with me again while working with GAI (?)