NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Default Lemon Peel Baseball

This baseball recently sold on ebay for $360. Was that a good price? With a circumference of 8.75 inches and 3.4 ounces isn't that a bit on the small size for baseballs of this era?? Was this a legitimate deal?? Thanks again, Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lemon peel.jpg (16.4 KB, 240 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Dan Brown

Hi Michael. I just want to say i am by no means even close to an expert here. I was watching this baseball and received more pictures from the seller. I chose not to pursue this baseball because of some unusual stitching patterns on the ball that seem machine made. The stitching holding the ball together appear hand stitched. These are my own thoughts, but i wondered if the leather was from something else and stitched together to look like a lemon peel ball. I could totally be wrong here, but that is why i chose not to bid.
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ball1.jpg (69.3 KB, 226 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Yeah I understand what you mean. I'm not an expert either, far from it, but I went after the ball and now just wondering if I regret not pushing it a little higher or glad I didn't get it.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I think you could have pushed it further. I have seen similar stitching on a few examples (which have sold for lots more). Some might find it a detractor, but to many collectors, it adds uniqueness and character. This is a really nice example.

Bottom line... I think someone got a very nice deal on this one. Wish that I had seen it

Editing to say that the size is correct for the era.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-13-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

I was watching that ball and planned on bidding. I didn't get to see the extra photo like you did, I wish I had now. You've got to remember that hand made or home made baseballs from 130+ years ago could have been made from whatever materials were available. This leather could have been from a work boot, or even a civil war era satchel. Any leather you could use would make a fine ball.

Sadly my cap was only at about $200 because of the lack of photos and some recent purchases, wish I would have asked for more like I usually do, I guess with the bidding so low so late in the auction I figured I'd just pick it up cheap and if it wasn't legit oh well. Whomever got this ball got a great deal in my opinion.

Here's another example of work leather being used to make a ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121692e_lg.jpg (39.8 KB, 205 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Damn it!!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 PM

Default lemon peel

Damn, nice ball. I stupidly had that ball on my watchlist but didn't realize it was a lemon peel. The seller had a small not very high quality photo, and I thought it was an early figure 8 ball. I got busy at work and ended up missing the end of the auction.
In my opinion the buyer got an outstanding buy. The seller really cost himself some money by not putting up more photos, and not describing the ball at all. That is actually a fairly big lemon peel, and the awl marks are a nice bonus. Wish I had paid closer attention and asked for more photos like Dan had.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 PM

I had a watch on this ball and forgot to go back to bid. An outstanding value. As I have spent a couple of years studying early 19th Century baseballs, this one is great. The stitch marks just indicate that it came from a boot or other leather item before being used to make the ball. This was a steal.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Dan Brown

Great information guys! Lesson learned on my part. I should also learn to be more trusting.
Dan
Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Can't win em all I guess