NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2014, 01:54 PM

This is the best thread I've seen in quite a while. Really enjoyed it, thanks!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Jeff Huerter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi John:

My Wagner went to Halper along with the rest of my collection at the time including my favorite cards of Konstanty, Stanky and Roberts from the Current All Stars.

It was Halper's first Wagner.

I never saw it again until 2012 when it showed up here:

http://www.goodwinandco.com/the-%E2%...-lot19548.aspx

I kinow it was mine by the faint crease in the upper right corner. Anyone know who consigned it to this auction?

Quite an increase in price from 1973 when I bought it for a then second highest price paid of $1100 to 2012 when it sold for 1.2M!!

Fred
Do you ever wish you would've held onto it and then sold it now? Not sure what you sold it for originally but dang...1.2 million off of an $1100 investment. That would've been a helluva payout.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:51 PM
D@vi d B@zi ni

How many kids in the '70s even cared about tobacco cards? All I cared about was finding Tigers players in my Topps packs. If I had somehow stumbled upon a Wagner, I would have traded it straight up for a 1979 Aurelio Rodriguez without batting an eye.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsnbikes View Post
Do you ever wish you would've held onto it and then sold it now? Not sure what you sold it for originally but dang...1.2 million off of an $1100 investment. That would've been a helluva payout.
Hi Jeff:

At the time I sold my collection to Halper he was just coming into the hobby and was paying three times what anyone else was paying. The fact that at the time I was living about 20 minutes from him enabled him to visit and make it easy to move the collection.

Also I was soon to be married and wanted to start a business down the line. All of the above helped in my decision to sell.

Sure I have thought about it over the years. However the way I look at it is, if I held onto the Wagner I would have been baseball card "rich" and cash "poor".

I took the $$ I got from the collection and eventually turned it into a business that supported my family and me through the years, allowed me to own my own home mortgage free, put two kids through college loan free and have a net worth now north of what the Wagner sold for.

I would have not been able to start the business without the money I got for the collection. So, in the long run I think I came out OK.

BUT it sure would be nice to have my collection back, and as mentioned Wagner was not even my favorite card, nor were the tobacco cards. I know that is heresy here on Net 54!! I was REALLY into Topps stuff, test sets etc., odd ball issues and regionals.

Fred
Old 01-11-2014, 10:19 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
baseball card "rich" and cash "poor"
Boy, does THAT hit close to home.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:33 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Sell when you can, not when you have to.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

What a great thread
Old 01-11-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Hi Jeff:

At the time I sold my collection to Halper he was just coming into the hobby and was paying three times what anyone else was paying. The fact that at the time I was living about 20 minutes from him enabled him to visit and make it easy to move the collection.

Also I was soon to be married and wanted to start a business down the line. All of the above helped in my decision to sell.

Sure I have thought about it over the years. However the way I look at it is, if I held onto the Wagner I would have been baseball card "rich" and cash "poor".

I took the $$ I got from the collection and eventually turned it into a business that supported my family and me through the years, allowed me to own my own home mortgage free, put two kids through college loan free and have a net worth now north of what the Wagner sold for.

I would have not been able to start the business without the money I got for the collection. So, in the long run I think I came out OK.

BUT it sure would be nice to have my collection back, and as mentioned Wagner was not even my favorite card, nor were the tobacco cards. I know that is heresy here on Net 54!! I was REALLY into Topps stuff, test sets etc., odd ball issues and regionals.

Fred
FRED M. : I KNOW YOU HAVE NO NEED FOR ANYONE TO EXPRESS THIS TO YOU, BUT AFTER READING YOUR VERY MOVING REFLECTION OF YOUR PAST, I AM REMINDED OF THE WORDS AND SPIRIT OF THE KNIGHT FROM "INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE"-----------"YOU HAVE CHOSEN.....WISELY."

SALUTE. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-11-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:03 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Enjoyable thread. Thanks for sharing Fred.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:23 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by baztacula View Post
How many kids in the '70s even cared about tobacco cards? All I cared about was finding Tigers players in my Topps packs. If I had somehow stumbled upon a Wagner, I would have traded it straight up for a 1979 Aurelio Rodriguez without batting an eye.

In about '73, when we were in 7th grade, some friends and I placed ads in The Trader Speaks and a new magazine called Sports Collectors Digest, offering something like 50 '71 Topps for a T206, or 75 '70 Topps for a T205, etc.
We thought we might get one or two, but the first week we got blitzed with T205's and T206's. We had to go thru the neighborhood and put signs up at school offering to buy collections just to fill the demand. All worked out fine, and we each ended up with about 150 T206's each and about 50-60 T205's. But it was a bit stressful the first few weeks filling the orders.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Richard Cline

I love your story Anthony, that's entrepreneurship at its best! I can picture you and your friends scrambling to meet the demand, that's great.

RC