NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Auction Item returned to seller. This ever happen to you?

Hi All:

As many of you know I consigned some of my Richie Ashburn collection to Huggins and Scott. The first auction ended and the next one is underway.

One of my better items, his game used glove was just returned to me because the buyer did not pay for it and another item (not mine) that he won in the auction. See the listing here:

http://jan11.hugginsandscott.com/cgi...l?itemid=29390

My dilemma is what to do next. H&S suggested I rerun the glove in their May auction and told me they would note why it is being relisted and suggested in the past when they have done this they have actually received higher bids.

Has this happened to any of you? If so what was the result?

If not, I am interested in any ideas on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Fred
Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Dan Bretta

That's too bad...would have been a great item for the upcoming Hunt's Auction which is 100% phillies stuff including the Robin Roberts family collection.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Don't auction houses go after nonpaying bidders?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would hope so. I can't imagine the amount of shill bidding that would go on if a winning bidder didn't have to pay, though I imagine it would drive up consignments.

Last edited by Matt; 03-23-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

I would hope so too, but it appears that Fred was told he is out of luck because the bidder didn't pay. That seems a very unhappy situation for a consignor and a risk that perhaps he shouldn't have to bear?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Alan U

I would think the consigner would be given the option of:

-being paid for the item at the bid amount, thereby allowing the auction house to relist the item at their own risk of getting more or less the next auction... keeping in mind they have the final value fee in their favor

-relisting the item in a future auction

In any case, I hope the auction house gave you a courtesy of a phone call explaining the situation.

-Alan
Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Matt

I'd call Hunt auctions tomorrow and see if they'll take it as a late addition. There's still plenty of time for bidders to bid if you overnight it to them
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 PM
K!ya S@bet

I used to work for Bill and Josh and have seen and heard them confront deadbeat bidders (not pretty). They go out of their way to please consignors and most likely did everything in their power in this situation. I assume that similar to EBAY you can ban someone and block them from bidding but can not force them to pay.

Holding an item would seem to only complicates things so returning it and offering the next auction seems reasonable.

Lastly I am not sure but I don't think a single auction house would purchase items from consignors due to non-paying bidders as a rule of thumb, if this was the case it would promote shill bidding even further as consignors could drive up the price and know the auction house would bail them out.

I witnessed 1500 lot auctions where only 1-2 items were not paid for so I think this was an unfortunate albeit rare occurrence.

Last edited by ksabet; 03-23-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Joe M.

I don't know if auction houses do this, but why not offer to the next highest bidder?

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
I used to work for Bill and Josh and have seen and heard them confront deadbeat bidders (not pretty). They go out of their way to please consignors and most likely did everything in their power in this situation. I assume that similar to EBAY you can ban someone and block them from bidding but can not force them to pay.
If I was a shill bidder, I'd gladly tolerate a yelling. If major auction houses are using eBay as the measuring stick for anything, we're in trouble. I'm pretty sure major auction houses have legal recourse to go after the winning bidder they chose to do so.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If I was a shill bidder, I'd gladly tolerate a yelling. If major auction houses are using eBay as the measuring stick for anything, we're in trouble. I'm pretty sure major auction houses have legal recourse to go after the winning bidder they chose to do so.
I never said EBAY was the measuring stick, I never said they used "yelling" as a tactic and for clarification I am NOT speaking on behalf of the auction house. Everything I stated was purely my own speculation. I just know people have a ton of excuses and it seems not worth the battle on a "his word" argument.

You still have the item, relist with them or another auction house the only cost is your time.

Last edited by ksabet; 03-23-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'm pretty sure major auction houses have legal recourse to go after the winning bidder they chose to do so.
Yes it's called a breach of contract claim.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksabet View Post
Lastly I am not sure but I don't think a single auction house would purchase items from consignors due to non-paying bidders as a rule of thumb, if this was the case it would promote shill bidding even further as consignors could drive up the price and know the auction house would bail them out.

I don't understand this point, if the consignor wins the lot due to his own shill bidding then there is no one to pay or to bail out? Maybe i am missing the point.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
I don't know if auction houses do this, but why not offer to the next highest bidder?

Joe
I was wondering the same thing. I have had a couple of auctions on ebay where the winning bidder never paid and I offered it to the next highest bidder at his bid price. I know ebay auction and an auction house auction are not exactly the same but was this tried? If the seller was ok with it, it seems like that might be one way of resolving the matter.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
I would think the consigner would be given the option of:

-being paid for the item at the bid amount, thereby allowing the auction house to relist the item at their own risk of getting more or less the next auction... keeping in mind they have the final value fee in their favor

-Alan
I was simply commenting on the above point, that an auction house should not pay for items at the hammer price if a bidder does not pay.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Scott Gaynor

I don't know any auction houses that go after non paying bidders legally unless it is a very high value item. Usually people don't pay because they don't have the money so you can sue them all that you want, but you can't get blood from a stone. An auction house is not going to go through the time and expense of trying to get a judgement that they most likely won't collect on anyway.

Every once in a while an auction house will buy an item that was not paid for, but only for really good consignors or if the item went cheap anyway. My guess is that your contract probably states what happens if the buyer does not pay (I put it in my contract). The standard protocol is that the item is either resold or returned to the consignor.

Scott
https://www.ebay.com/sch/estate-find...1&_ipg=&_from=

Find my monthly auctions on auctionninja
https://www.auctionninja.com/gaynors-fine-consignments/
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 PM
K!ya S@bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgaynor View Post
I don't know any auction houses that go after non paying bidders legally unless it is a very high value item. Usually people don't pay because they don't have the money so you can sue them all that you want, but you can't get blood from a stone. An auction house is not going to go through the time and expense of trying to get a judgement that they most likely won't collect on anyway.

Every once in a while an auction house will buy an item that was not paid for, but only for really good consignors or if the item went cheap anyway. My guess is that your contract probably states what happens if the buyer does not pay (I put it in my contract). The standard protocol is that the item is either resold or returned to the consignor.

Scott
Thank you for so eloquently making the point I guess I was failing to articulate.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Just for everyone to know what happened, Huggins and Scott told me they did go after the bidder with no luck in contating them. No answer on phone, emails not responded to etc. I do not blame H&S for lack of trying.

I also asked them to contact the second high bidder, even though I have been told "this never works" by them and other auction houses. H&S did contact the underbidder and he was "nice enough" to counter by offering $2000 LESS than his bid. I guess you can't keep going down the line to other bidders, as where do you stop, and at what price do you want to let the item go for.

Funny thing is I won the glove originally years ago from Centerfield Collectibles who contacted me as the underbidder when the "winner" returned the glove because he could not tell it was Ashburn's. I on the other hand had photos of him holding the EXACT glove, so I knew it was legit.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I know at least one auction posts on their website the names and I think even addresses of the deadbeats. Maybe the lawyers out there can tell me why everyone doesn't do this? Why can't they identify the names, lot# and whatever other detail helps. Wouldn't this add credibility ensuring they are at least putting some effort into guarding against shill bidding.

Dan
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Jim D

i would re-list the item and if you are paying any fees, then ask for a concession.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM

When the guy who won the Nuns' T-206 Wagner didn't pay, Heritage offered it to the underbidder.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...s-baseballcard
Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Larry

Default Ask the lawyers

Hi, guys.

I am a lawyer in Michigan, and I can tell you that while bidding in the auction would constitute an acceptance of the auction's terms, and a subsequent failure to pay a breach of contract, it is quite often the case that any matter actually put into litigation results in 20 hours or even more of the lawyer's time, from the filing of the complaint to initiate the action, reviewing an answer, along with possibly responding to affirmative defenses if an answer is filed, perhaps attending a pre-trial conference with the court, filing motions of one sort or another before trial, engaging in discovery (written interrogatories or even depositions) in more complex cases, attending settlement conferences, and finally perhaps trial if the case is not settled before then. At hourly rates of $150-$200+ per hour, unless the item is a significantly valuable one, the costs incurred usually make such an action prohibitive from a plaintiff's standpoint (lawyers do not often take these kinds of cases on a contingency basis). Even if the action is filed and the defendant fails to answer, ultimately resulting in a default judgment being entered, the services of a collections attorney may ultimately have to be employed in addition to go out and find assest of the defendant, hence more legal fees (in Michigan, collections attorneys may ethically charge up to 50%, and bailiffs assisting them in excecution upon the defendant's assets also get a piece of the action). It's probably worth it if you have an item valued at at least $12,000-$15,000 or so, but cost-prohibitive otherwise.

Hope this helps,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 03-25-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Matt Wieder

Good to know. Sounds like it's pretty safe to shill bid up to $10k then.