NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Brand new to board, sharing my 1933 Goudey set pursuit and other hobby interests

Good morning all,

I randomly came across this board when looking for a forum/site that might have info/ideas on collecting a complete 1933 Goudey Set. I've got to say, the stories and topics and info in just the first few pages on this board are awesome! As much as the '33 Goudeys are my favorite set (and the only one I collect) I love reading about the T206s and the Cracker Jack sets and all the cool variations. Some of you have such incredible examples, it always makes me come back and read your info. Very Cool Stuff!

So, I started collecting Goudey's about 14-15 years ago. My interest was started when a friend of mine brought in to work a cool auction house catalogue I had never heard of before. It was a MastroNet Auction catalogue. On the cover, displayed very neatly were the 1933 Goudeys with the #1 card Benny Bengough front and center. I'm not sure what it was, but that bright fire red back ground and the cool imagery sparked something with me. I looked for weeks on eBay at all the '33s out there and finally got the balls to order one......#148 Eddie Ferrell. And from there I was hooked.

14 years later and I'm 170 cards in and slowly moving towards 239. My set consists of a mix of ungraded and slabbed cards (I remove them from the slabs so they can be displayed together). I'd say visually, they present as EX+ - EX-NM although most have small imperfections that would prevent them from being graded professionally that high (stain on the back, off center etc.) But I do require the front to be in visually pleasing condition (no wrinkles) and 4 above average corners. So far so good!

Now the reason I was searching for Goudey info was because I was looking for ideas on how to display these cards. That's a pretty big set to have spread out all over a counter or framed on the wall. Right now I have each card in snap-tite case and I've placed them in old period cigar boxes. They are in two rows with my nice HOF'ers at the front and the lesser cards filling in behind. I think I have either 5 or 6 boxes that are almost completely full and I have them sitting in a antique 3 door glass case in my living room with other old Detroit Tiger, Detroit Lion and Michigan State items (bobble heads, tickets, programs etc......) I get compliments on the cards but placing them in the cigar boxes limits their visual appeal, if that makes sense.

I'll share pics of this display and lots of the other items I have framed that decorate my house, just need time to take those pics. I'm a recent bachelor and my new house was built in 1842, so old Tiger/Ty Cobb items seem to work will with the age and history of my house.

Anyway, looking for ideas on displaying a set or a portion of a set......and please keep sharing your memorabilia items also.....my memorabilia collection is much more extensive and old/rare than my Goudeys. Thanks for listening to my long winded story, much appreciated!

-shackmsu
Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You sound like a collector . Welcome friend.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM
Bob Donaldson

33 Goudey is a my favorite set. Look forward to seeing your pictures!

Welcome aboard

Bob
Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You sound like a collector . Welcome friend.

Thanks Leon! I'll try and share some items later when I get home. (Avoiding work at the current moment.)

I know this forum is highly into the T206 set, was hoping to get some '33 Goudey discussions going!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Kyle May

Very excited to see your display. Goudey is a set I'm going to tackle on the side while I attack The Monster (T206). Beautiful cards, and I've seen outstanding displays for them.

Welcome to the board!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 03-29-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Very excited to see your display. Goudey is a set I'm going to tackle on the side while I attack The Monster (T206). Beautiful cards, and I've seen outstanding displays for them.

Welcome to the board!
If you have any ideas for displaying larger sets like this or anyone for that matter, I'd love to hear a description or see some pics! Thanks for your input! I'll have to remember to download some pics tonight......
Old 03-29-2017, 10:20 AM

Default I suggest stacking them high!

Welcome to the board. The 1933 and 1934 Goudey cards are indeed classic and
beautiful. A great selection of players from the 30's, good mix of portraits and action shots, most (not all) nicely rendered, and some beautiful colors. And the write-up on the back is a bonus too.

This is how the cards would look if you were to stack them artistically in helix-like fashion. This photo includes trimmed cards...regular sized ones would present a fuller look.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0948.jpg (70.2 KB, 171 views)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackmsu View Post
If you have any ideas for displaying larger sets like this or anyone for that matter, I'd love to hear a description or see some pics! Thanks for your input! I'll have to remember to download some pics tonight......
Check these out. I know they are T206 and '34 Goudey respectively, but it might trigger an idea.

http://net54baseball.com/showthread....light=displays

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
Check these out. I know they are T206 and '34 Goudey respectively, but it might trigger an idea.

I really like that second one! There are 100 cards there....scary thing is I'd need 3 more of those card cases to show every 33! Wall space is scarce!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:32 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shackmsu View Post
I really like that second one! There are 100 cards there....scary thing is I'd need 3 more of those card cases to show every 33! Wall space is scarce!
Sent you a PM.

- Hall of Famers

- Grover Hartley PC

- Jim Thome PC

Old 03-29-2017, 08:04 PM

Here are a few pics of the Goudeys and how I have them displayed.....having an issue getting photos to load! ugh.....

photo 1.jpg

Last edited by Shackmsu; 03-29-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:09 PM

OK, figured it out....here are a few more.

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg
Old 03-29-2017, 08:12 PM

photo 5.jpg

photo 6.jpg
Old 03-29-2017, 08:21 PM

Here are some of the Type I Cobb photo's Ive purchased and framed/hung in my house......

photo 9.jpg

photo 7.jpg

photo 11.jpg
Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 PM

OK, last one tonight......1925 Detroit Tigers Team Cabinet

photo 10.jpg
Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 PM

Nice displays and welcome to the forum!

Those vintage Tigers bobbleheads are very cool and look to be in nice condition, especially for such a fragile collectible.

Good luck with that Goudey set -- a true classic. I'm not pursuing the set myself but have a few HOFers. I was turned onto the beautiful, purple-background Gehringer card by this very forum about 10 years ago. Someone posted it as one of their favorite cards in a thread, and I had to get one. Nice to see you have your Gehringer displayed front n' center.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Nice displays and welcome to the forum!

Those vintage Tigers bobbleheads are very cool and look to be in nice condition, especially for such a fragile collectible.

Good luck with that Goudey set -- a true classic. I'm not pursuing the set myself but have a few HOFers. I was turned onto the beautiful, purple-background Gehringer card by this very forum about 10 years ago. Someone posted it as one of their favorite cards in a thread, and I had to get one. Nice to see you have your Gehringer displayed front n' center.
Thanks, it's in nice condition and he's one of the few prominent Tigers in this set. So he gets a nice spot up top!