NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default How was this altered?

Just looking for opinions on why this WWG Ruth was labeled as altered. Thanks

Old 01-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Kevin Andrews

Looks to me like the top edge is messed with a bit. On the back looks like the dull razor skipped a couple of times. Maybe color added where the check mark was on the front?

Last edited by old-baseball; 01-21-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:48 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I'm guessing that there used to be a check mark on the card, that appears to have been erased. I think that erasing any writing qualifies as altered?

Also, it's hard to tell. Kevin might be right. That check mark spot looks like it could've been colored in after erasing.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-21-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 PM

My guess is trimming.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default That didn't take long...

I've been looking at the edges so much I don't think I've even checked the picture part. These are two cropped pictures (reason the border is out of line): Thank y'all for the eyes.

Edited: Resized the picture, was too big

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 01-21-2012 at 07:38 PM. Reason: resize
Old 01-21-2012, 07:33 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
My guess is trimming.
Just saw your reply. That's what I was thinking it had to be too but it measured 1/16" bigger both L/R and T/B compared to my '34 WWG Ruth. They probably would have put the MK qualifier on there if the check mark was still intact, but I guess there's no telling on that. Thanks

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 01-21-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Erased check mark.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp12367 View Post
Erased check mark.
Roger that
Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Dave H@rford

Agree with Erased Check Mark. Have 4-6 T206 cards that would have graded PSA/SGC 3-4, but had numbers erased on the front (at the very top). I called as spoke with the graders, and they replied that any card is classified only as Authentic if anything is erased due to "potential removal of card material" during the erasing process.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:58 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Enhanced

The card was altered when someone wrote on it. It's been altered many, many times as evidenced by the corner and edge wear, plus there seems to be a dab of 30's DNA on that right border.

The '33 WWG was already in the PSA case when I bought it, wanted to clarify that before I mention this. Just holding the WWG caused the check mark to look like a scuff mark because it's much smaller in hand than in the scan; never thought anything about it being a check mark while holding it. But this brings up an interesting point: someone mentioned how it was common for people to add color to their faded cards years ago, and while I couldn't identify with that statement then, I'm now thinking about this card:

While I wouldn't even attempt to further alter this marked/erased card myself, would it be reasonable in this case? The back of the card has writing as well, the content of which indicates it was written approx 1935:

What about the front where that white area is? A T206 Wagner was significantly, intentionally altered (rebuilt?) and holdered as such by PSA, I think. Would it be appropriate for authentication companies to professionally repair things such as this, slab them altered, and specify what the alteration was. Before and after scans/photos included. It's acceptable for cracked/broken game used bats to be professionally repaired.

Now, I do not think anything negative about soaking cards, and I'm really not sure how that's done. But from what I've gathered, its done to remove glue residue, etc, from previously scrap-booked cards. How would this be different than that? It's the same mistake: someone glued those cards in a scrapbook many years ago; someone wrote RF on the '33 Goudey many years ago.

Again, I think nothing about soaking and enjoy when collectors post before and after results of soaking.

I prefer the erased check mark to a trim job, and I don't think color was added to the erased area. If it was, he or she did a poor job recoloring.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I'm guessing that there used to be a check mark on the card, that appears to have been erased. I think that erasing any writing qualifies as altered?

Also, it's hard to tell. Kevin might be right. That check mark spot looks like it could've been colored in after erasing.
+1