NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Default Top 10 Players Of The Deadball-Era

Posted By: Sean

Any Position at all......
some would be king kelly,christy mathewson,cy young, rogers hornsby etc
whats ur top 10?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i'll throw these guys in the discussion...

cobb
jackson
wagner
speaker
johnson

Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Tris Speaker

Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

1) Hans Wagner
1a) Ty Cobb
3)Christy Mathewson
4)Joe Jackson
5)Walter Johnson
6)Cy Young
7)Miner Brown
8)Nap Lajoie
9)Tris Speaker
10)Ed Delahanty

Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I agree with Mark T above with Wagner at #1.

When you forget about what "we" think, based on what we see with player stats and the like, the thing to do is go back and read what players of the day thought.

Players from the dead ball era thought Wagner was the best ball player ever. Those that played with Wagner, Cobb, Ruth, Jackson, Mathewson, Young, Johnson... they too thought Wagner the greatest ball player EVER.

I saw Koufax and Gibson pitch against one another. I saw Drysdale throw. Saw the Big Unit, Carlton, Seaver, Soto, Maloney, Bunning, Short, Marichal, Vida Blue, Dave Stewart, Dwight Goodin, Kerry Wood... Saw Lee Smith muscling balls past folks in the late innings. Saw Bob Veale. From what I've read about folks that saw these guys and older ones play, based on the overlapping of time, I gotta figure that Walter Johnson threw the hardest, Smokey Joe Wood was with him for a few years, and Feller threw pretty hard, too. Having said that, I can't think of anyone who'd throw in at you like Drysdale and Gibson, unless it was Maglie, who I didn't get to see...

The guys on Mark's list were great players. The only way we can know, 100 years removed, is to believe "them that'uz there seein' it". Wagner was the man.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Wagner was the most versatile of the deadball players. He had the skills to play virtually every position on the Diamond and the arm to pitch if he wanted to do. He could run like the wind and hit the ball to virtually any spot in the stadium.

Peter C.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

Wagner
Cobb
Johnson
Speaker
Mathewson
Young
Collins
Lajoie
Jackson
Walsh

Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Wagner may well have been better than Cobb but I would not put huge stock in their contemporaries opinions. Wagner seems to have been as universally well liked as Cobb was detested. I'd bet this had more than a little to do with how players ranked them.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

Rather than guess about ulterior motives, I prefer to trust the general opinion of the best baseball minds of the deadball era. (which the old timers called "inside baseball" rather than the prejorative "deadball"). Along with the ten greats listed by Peter Spaeth, I will mention that oldtimers had a lot of repect for Willie Keeler way back when.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Side note about the DEAD BALL

Ed Walsh
How can a guy with a league leading 1.27 ERA have a 18-20 record in 1910????? Wow

Did they let his teammates bat???

Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: G. MAINES

Cobb was the American League's answer to Willie Keeler. Actually, Keeler outhit Cobb while he was in the NL (.371 to .366). With the Highlanders though, Keeler couldn't average .300.