NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-07-2018, 07:36 PM

Default My First Mantle

I've mainly focused on Padres and Bowman Chrome, but am going to start trying to collect more vintage.

Figured I would start with a solid Mantle. Seems pretty good for a PSA 5. Next on the list is the 56 Ted Willaims.

Untitled by andrew murphy, on Flickr

Untitled by andrew murphy, on Flickr
Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Sharp card; welcome to the vintage side.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:46 PM

Hell yeah, that's solid! One of the first Mantles I bought as well. A classic.

Congrats!
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Nice start. Very nice looking Mantle. Congrats.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:26 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Very Nice. Congratulations and Welcome to the Board!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-07-2018, 09:32 PM

Thanks everyone. I’ve kind of held off on vintage because of the lack of Padres, but decided to start. It’s a good way to connect to the history of the game, especially for a thirty one year old Padres fan.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:48 AM
Mike

That's a very nice PSA 5. It always amazes me how much eye-appeal can vary within an across grades; that looks as nice or nicer from 2-3 feet away as a PSA 6 or PSA 7 that isn't centered...

Last edited by MCoxon; 02-08-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Al Richter

Welcome aboard.

Great Mantle. And Williams is a natural fit for a San Diego collector because back in 1937.....

How do you collect your Padres cards, team sets, individual players, base sets, inserts, test issues ?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 AM

Wow! That's a great 5!
Congrats! Beats a Mike Ivie card any day.
RayB

Last edited by RayBShotz; 02-08-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Bob Davies

That's a beaut, Anyone would be proud to have that card in their collection.

Enjoy.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Ne@l K

Great start!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 02-08-2018, 05:26 PM

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
That's a very nice PSA 5. It always amazes me how much eye-appeal can vary within an across grades; that looks as nice or nicer from 2-3 feet away as a PSA 6 or PSA 7 that isn't centered...
Yea, I’m not extremely knowledgeable with the grades but had been watching PSA 5s for about a month since it was in my price range. Snatched this one up when I saw it on eBay. Still not sure why it’s a five. Was a little nervous since I thought it might be too good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Welcome aboard.

Great Mantle. And Williams is a natural fit for a San Diego collector because back in 1937.....

How do you collect your Padres cards, team sets, individual players, base sets, inserts, test issues ?
Honestly it’s mostly bowman chrome of prospects. Have a lot of Fernando Tatis Jr cards, a Gwynn auto, some random Heritage. It’s kind of all over the place.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Fantastic Mantle my man. Welcome aboard on the vintage boat. Can't wait to see what the Williams is going to look like!

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 PM
je.sse @rnot

Nice card, I still remember my first Mantle. Finding them centered like that is tough in any grade.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Tony Conte

Default Nice 1960 Mantle!

Congrats on the pickup!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:40 AM

padremurph'

First off, welcome to the Net54 line-up! We're glad to have you.

Second, I love your 1960 Topps Mickey Mantle. That card was among the first Mantle cards I ever saw as a 7-year old in 1961. Love at first sight, though I didn't get one until '72 or '73. With PSA, if it's a 5, something must have caught the eye of the grader to render it "only" EXCELLENT. Take heart, Murph, your Mick is beautiful, and since it's excellent, the price you paid was much much less than an high-grade specimen. Technical aspects of centering and corner wear, not to mention slight creases, drives the grades of most cards well down below yours. Remember, these are first and foremost picture cards, and the pictures of Mick, and the dazzling nameplate Topps gave the cards in 1960, all look much better than excellent. You did well, bro.

I wish you well on your pursuit of the '56 Ted Williams, a gorgeous card of Teddy Ballgame. If this sounds good to you, insist on getting one with great colors, crisply focused picture, and as few print spots as possible, with a little corner wear to bring the grade to "5".

Thanks for sharing your joy of your new Mickey Mantle. ---Brian Powell