NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2022, 07:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1878 ca. Game in Action CDV - Pitcher? (large pic)

I am trying to figure this scene out. Does anyone see the pitcher here?

edited title date upon further discussion.

Last edited by Leon; 02-22-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:51 AM
Ben Gehler

Hmmm,
that is a puzzler.
A whole lot of standing around; not many in position; between innings?

I would like to throw my hat in the "dating" game though.
My guess might be mid 1860's; in that C.D. Fredricks, generally acknowledged as bringing the CDV "technology" back here; from his experience in Paris; created this CDV from the Annie Speed portrait (she commissioned it from Fredricks); the first known image of Lincoln following his inauguration, March 1861. Allowing for this new technology to spread; in spite of Fredricks' attempts to "Patent" CDV's under the name 'Specialite' (unsuccessfully, BTW); there was no such thing as ownership of intellectual property back then. Yet Fredricks attempted to do just that. I am guessing that delayed the CDV "technology" from spreading quickly.

Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Last edited by benge610; 02-21-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:08 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, the pencil writing is accurate.
https://www.timesargus.com/news/godd...2b3d51ef7.html

Maybe the pitcher is the ghostly guy on the right side that is fading into the scenery?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 02-21-2022 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:15 AM
GaryPassamonte

The player on the right looks to be in the pitching posture of the time. Can we get a blow up of the right side of the image?

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 02-21-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:18 AM
Michael

First of all, that's another nice cdv from Leon. The photographer is J. A. French of Keene, NH which, according to https://www.langdonroad.com/fo-to-fy, is a later incarnation of French & Sawyer (also of Keene) who took the photo on another cdv Leon once owned.

As a total guess, I am thinking this is kind of a "school photo" where the photographer told the girls to all look out the windows, told some boys to pose as if they were playing ball, and told the rest of the boys to stand around. The batter is kind of in the middle of the infield and, as Leon said, there doesn't seem to be a pitcher. So I would still call it "in action" but I don't think they are actually playing a game. They also seem to be in their "Sunday best" which they may not have been wearing for an actual game (I am guessing they would have at least taken their jackets off).

All conjecture, of course.

And a great image!

Edited to add: what I thought were infield lines may just be walking paths. Also, I do see pitcher candidates, but they all seem kind of distant for a game of this time period and age of players.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 02-21-2022 at 08:24 AM. Reason: commenting on other comments
Old 02-21-2022, 08:41 AM

Default Trap-ball

If the photo is really that earlier it could be a game called trap ball where there was no pitcher and you would basically launch the ball with a small lever or trap and then hit it and run to base. It was sort of like t-ball and is thought off as an early form of baseball. I have owned many woodcut showing the game but have never seen a photo on
Old 02-21-2022, 08:41 AM
Dave

Yeah, a blow up of the right side would be nice, but it does look like there's a guy just beyond the outline of the dirt path, facing the batter with his arm cocked back as if he's about to deliver an underhand pitch to the batter.

Also, is it possible that's a cricket pose? Hard to tell, but the batter looks like he may be holding a paddle, rather then a bat.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:07 AM
Michael

As for the dating of the photo, it could not be earlier than 1876 based on the link John posted to an article about the building which says it "....saw major renovations in 1876 with parlors added in the basement and the central steeple replaced by two steeples."
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
As for the dating of the photo, it could not be earlier than 1876 based on the link John posted to an article about the building which says it "....saw major renovations in 1876 with parlors added in the basement and the central steeple replaced by two steeples."
I will try to get an enlarged right side of the cdv. It certainly looks earlier than than the 1870s to me....but maybe not.

Last edited by Leon; 02-21-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:23 AM
Michael

Well, I was just going by the article saying the building did not have two steeples until 1876. Also by https://www.langdonroad.com/fo-to-fy having the earliest public reference to French, J. A. being 1874. I guess the article could be wrong and maybe there are earlier references to be discovered. But those are two clues pointing to the mid-1870s as the earliest.

Last edited by molenick; 02-21-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
Well, I was just going by the article saying the building did not have two steeples until 1876. Also by https://www.langdonroad.com/fo-to-fy having the earliest public reference to French, J. A. being 1874. I guess the article could be wrong and maybe there are earlier references to be discovered. But those are two clues pointing to the mid-1870s as the earliest.
I don't disagree on the findings but have you ever seen players in the 1870s dressed and playing like that?
It reminds me of this one..

Old 02-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Michael

Well, I am not sure if we have determined if they are playing or posing yet. All we know for sure is that someone is swinging a bat and everyone except the batter is wearing jackets.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:52 AM
Dave

I think they are playing, but probably more of a casual practice, exhibition or just batting practice, then a full on game.

Hell, could just be gym class at the college, for all anybody knows.

Also, it's New Hampshire. It gets cold in New Hampshire. Could explain why almost nobody has their jacket off, except the guy who needs to swing the bat.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:55 AM
GaryPassamonte

Since J A French didn't start his business until 1874 and the double steeple wasn't built until 1876, we can be sure this cdv is post 1876. The cdv appears to have a thick mount with obvious rounded corners as made. This mount style would have been popular circa 1875-1880. Given the image was taken in the 1875-1880 time frame, we can surmise it most likely pictures a casual game or practice of baseball by students of the seminary. We may never know if the player on the right is a pitcher or not, but it may really not matter. Any "game action" cdv is rare. At one time my collection included about 75 baseball cdvs and less than 5 were "game action" images.
Leon- The second cdv you posted is almost certainly circa 1870 or a little bit earlier given the long pants worn by the players and the possible knickers worn by a one of the players. I say possible because the "knickers" player may just have his pants tied up. As you know, I have a copy of that cdv. For my money, it is the best "game action" cdv I have ever seen. It has close ups of players, an umpire, and a scorekeeper. That is hard to top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg umpire.JPG (46.2 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 02-21-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:49 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

I believe this guy is the pitcher. Also, here's a stereoview I have that's also by French.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220221-193143~3~01.jpg (31.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 357.jpg (185.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 02-22-2022, 03:53 AM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
I believe this guy is the pitcher. Also, here's a stereoview I have that's also by French.
+1
Old 02-22-2022, 10:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I went ahead and edited the title of this thread to be more closely aligned with the date the cdv was probably produced. I like the pitcher summation too. Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

Last edited by Leon; 02-22-2022 at 10:14 AM.