NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 PM
Rob

Ted, here's an article I read that suggests that there are 57 known, and most of them are SC 150/25. I don't know as I've never really studied this card. I've thought of owning a 52 Mantle or a 33 Lajoie, but never thought I'd own a T206 Wagner...Rob

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/c...6-honus-wagner
Old 05-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE......Possible sources of the T206 Wagner cards (Re-visited)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Ted, here's an article I read that suggests that there are 57 known, and most of them are SC 150/25. I don't know as I've never really studied this card. I've thought of owning a 52 Mantle or a 33 Lajoie, but never thought I'd own a T206 Wagner...Rob

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/c...6-honus-wagner

Hi Rob

Thanks for the link to that article. However, what is the numerical breakdown between SC 150/25 and SC 150/30 ? His "most of them are SC 150/25" doesn't really tell us this.
I'm not trying to be "difficult"....it's just that I have seen this breakdown regarding the Plank SC 150 cards and if I recall correctly there are a fair number of Factory #30 backs
in that population.
We do know that Wagner and Plank were on the same sheet when the 150 Series cards were printed and issued. Therefore, I would expect a corresponding breakdown with the
Wagner and Plank cards.

TED Z
Old 05-02-2020, 10:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Rob

Thanks for the link to that article. However, what is the numerical breakdown between SC 150/25 and SC 150/30 ? His "most of them are SC 150/25" doesn't really tell us this.
I'm not trying to be "difficult"....it's just that I have seen this breakdown regarding the Plank SC 150 cards and if I recall correctly there are a fair number of Factory #30 backs
in that population.
We do know that Wagner and Plank were on the same sheet when the 150 Series cards were printed and issued. Therefore, I would expect a corresponding breakdown with the
Wagner and Plank cards.

TED Z
Which makes another puzzle. If they really were on the same sheet, Plank and Wagner should be roughly equally uncommon. Yet there are about double the number of Planks. (75 to 35 for PSA, and the grade distribution is also different. )

Call me contrary, but I think they were on different sheets, both sheets being subject to some misfortune in having to be pulled from production.
Considering how there are small differences between series, and even occasionally within a series, I suspect there are "commons" with specific identifiers that are just as uncommon as a Wagner or Plank.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:06 PM

Steve,

According to Ted's theory, not only should there be about the same number of Wagner's as there are Plank's, but if the gentleman DID take home sheets then there should ALSO be a number of Planks coming from the same location as the Wagners, shouldn't there?

David
Old 05-03-2020, 10:26 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE......Possible sources of the T206 Wagner cards (Re-visited)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Steve,

According to Ted's theory, not only should there be about the same number of Wagner's as there are Plank's, but if the gentleman DID take home sheets then there should ALSO be a number of Planks coming from the same location as the Wagners, shouldn't there?

David

David

There are about the same number of PIEDMONT 150 Plank's as there are PIEDMONT 150 Wagner's. But, we only know of the origin of the Gretzky Wagner and the Conlon Plank.

PSA = 1 Plank.....No Wagner's (why NO famous PSA 8, and why NO one (or 2) "A" graded cards in PSA's pop report ? ?
SGC = 2 Plank's.....No Wagner's

And, who knows....only the MONSTER knows
Perhaps, more of these PIEDMONT 150 Wagner's and Plank's will eventually be discovered.

TED Z
Old 05-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Ted Zanidakis

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 REFERENCE.......Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Rob

Your observation is accurate regarding the Wagner SWEET CAP Factory #25 (and the Plank) cards are indeed more available than their SWEET CAP Factory #30 cards.
I should know this because it took me many years to find this SWEET CAP 150 Factory #30 card of Plank to complete my all - SWEET CAPORAL Factory #30 set.

A fair number of SWEET CAP 350, Factory #30 cards were available, but those cards have a "washed-out" appearance. Besides, I have arranged the cards in my T206
sets with respect to the Series they are in (150, 350, 460, etc.); therefore, Plank is placed in the 150 Series. Furthermore, this card was certainly more affordable.

TED Z
Old 05-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Rob

Great Plank, Ted. The Monster can be confounding at times. Although it is generally thought that the SC150/25 back is more difficult across the board, in the case of Wagner and Plank, it is the SC150/30 that is relatively difficult to find.

On a side note, I've been looking at the T206 Magie portrait. Although the error is only found with a Piedmont 150 back, the correct version Magee actually has a lower PSA pop number with the Piedmont 150 back, (Magie 82 graded, Magee 69 graded) I may try to get the Magee Piedmont 150 first, and next I'll try and tackle the Magie...Rob
Old 05-02-2020, 11:07 PM
Rob

Steve, Plank is also found with a 350 back from what I've read. I've seen estimates that there are about twice as many known Planks, counting all the backs.

Ted, I thought I had seen a site that breaks down all of the known backs, but there is not one that I could find. There's a site that lists the fairly recent sales with nicknames for the cards and grades, like Chesapeake Wagner, Oceanside Wagner, Nun's Wagner, etc.

PSA's pop is not very helpful. They show zero Piedmonts graded, 15 SC, but only 6 cards are broken down as 4 SC 150/25 and 2 SC 150/30. I'm surprised to learn that the back breakdowns are not publicly known. Rob
Old 05-02-2020, 11:24 PM
Rob

Here are the PSA pops from PSA for Plank.. 1 Piedmont 150 graded "A" presumably handcut like the Piedmont Wagner's. SC 150/25 none graded. SC 150/30 3 graded. SC 350/30 13 graded.

I think the assumption is that the production numbers for sc 150 Wagners and Planks are about the same. Again, I'm surprised all of this data is not already widely known. Maybe people that own these cards can chime in with their backs and factory numbers. Rob
Old 05-03-2020, 10:05 AM
Ted Zanidakis

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 REFERENCE.......Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Steve, Plank is also found with a 350 back from what I've read. I've seen estimates that there are about twice as many known Planks, counting all the backs.

Ted, I thought I had seen a site that breaks down all of the known backs, but there is not one that I could find. There's a site that lists the fairly recent sales with nicknames for the cards and grades, like Chesapeake Wagner, Oceanside Wagner, Nun's Wagner, etc.

PSA's pop is not very helpful. They show zero Piedmonts graded, 15 SC, but only 6 cards are broken down as 4 SC 150/25 and 2 SC 150/30. I'm surprised to learn that the back breakdowns are not publicly known. Rob

Rob

It's really strange that the most heralded card in the hobby doesn't have an accurate accounting of it. And, you are correct, the PSA pop report does not even have the famous
PIEDMONT 150 Wagner PSA 8 listed. In fact, they have No PIEDMONT 150 Wagner's listed. Not in the pop report that I have a link of. And, I know of at least two additional
Wagner cards with PIEDMONT 150 backs.

Every single Wagner card in the hobby (both PIEDMONT and SWEET CAPORAL) should be well documented.

TED Z