NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2002, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Default Colgan's mint chips - E270 (Tin Tops)

Posted By: jay behrens

I know tin tops and red boarders are tougher than the standard 254s, but couldn't tell you which one is tougher.

Jay

Old 07-13-2002, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

Since they were made here in Louisville, KY.........
I have about 150 of the normal Stars of the Diamond and about 25 or so of the Red Borders with only a couple of the Tintops. Both the Tintops AND the Red Borders are tough although the Red Borders do come up much more often than the Tintops. Lipset had a nice large lot of Red Borders in the last auction. Looks like you got a great deal Leon since it was a Tintop. I don't believe the Tintop cards came in the green containers. Not really sure though. Think they came in the Pink containers. It always seems like the Tintops and Red Borders are harder to find in anything above about VGEX to EX while you can find some really nice Stars of Diamond around. Don't know. Just observations from auctions and ebay I guess.

Old 07-13-2002, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Are you speaking about the red containers or is there a pink one I don't know about? I see lots of the red ones.....don't recall seeing a pink one (well, a pink container if you know what I mean..sorry Julie...had to go there)......regards all

Old 07-13-2002, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom (not Frank)

seen a red one? I've got about 20-30 of them and they are always consistently pink (the containers that is). At least what I'd consider pink (I won't go there). And, why'd you call me Frank? (if you were talking to me).

Old 07-13-2002, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I just intermittently call people the wrong name...my bad.....as far as the red vs pink containers...this is what I am talking about....maybe they are pink but I usually consider pink a little lighter. ?? But I am a novice in this area.....thanks again and regards

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2120225371

Old 07-13-2002, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Hey Folks,
I did a buy it now because I needed the different container for this set. I didn't even realize that it was actually an E270 until I looked at it further...what are ya'lls thoughts on how rare the E270 Tin Tops are vs the E270 red borders vs the E254 "Stars of the Diamond's" Colgans? I have seen more E254's then E270 red borders and least often these E270 Tin Tops...but maybe it's just because I just haven't looked for 'em.....regards all....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=1842736807

Old 07-13-2002, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Pink? Red? Mmmmm, I don't think so.

They may be faded and look that way now but the ones I own are definitely Violet or green in color.

If there really are other colors, cool. I'd like to see them. Post scans!

Old 07-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Administrator

ok, let's just call it a dusty rose color and drop it :-p

jay- dusty rose isn't a guy color

Old 07-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Something about Communists? I sure as hell don't know!

I never saw a RED Colgan's TIN in my life. Pink and green
they all are (beginning to sound like Yoda). "Stars of the diamond" are the most common, Red Borders next (but very hard to find with a nice red border all the way around that hasn't bled all over the card or some other fool thing, Tin Tops hardest.

I have 129 total, with all three kinds.

In one of the back issues of VCBC, a very early one (not the out-of-print numberr7), Fritsch has written an article--yikes! maybe it was Lipset!--saying literally a dozen or more listed Stars of the Diamond--mostly HOF, don't exist. Boy, it felt good to draw a line through those HOFers I never saW!

Old 07-13-2002, 07:15 PM
Administrator

I guess the tins should be called violet, too.

Seriously, are people still calling eachother "pink" or "pinko"? Thought i had outlived that.

By the way, I'm not. Doesn't seem to work very well...

Old 07-13-2002, 07:51 PM
Administrator

come on julie, you live in Berkeley. Everyone there is a no goo Commie Pinko :-p

Jay

Old 07-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Administrator

..when I might read it.

Actually for the national election, I helped transfer election material from the cars arriving from the polling places to a big truck, going to some central location where all votes would be counted.

Another girl, looking sort of nervous, said "You don't suppose there'll be any Republicans here?" "Do you know any?" I asked. "No." "Have you ever Seeen one in the flesh?" "No." "Well, I wouldn't worry." Actually, a republican showed up, a big strong guy who did most of the heavy lefting from the cars to the truck.

Did I tell that story before?