NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default e91 made from real picture - not generic

Posted By: scott (runscott)

It has always been my understanding that all of the e91-series cards were generic players. This card;however, was made from an actual Ed Reulbach photograph. My guess is that it is a modified version of the photo on my web-site to the left of the e91, but in any case, this is definitely Big Ed: http://www.homestead.com/runscott/BigEd.html

Has anyone else found "real player" e91's?

--------------------------------------------
historically significant fact
Ed Reulbach once threw both ends of a double-header, winning both, and pitching the entire games

Old 07-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Scott,i think this is just a cheap plug for your website.Also Ed Reulbach pitched both games of the double header and won ,which has been done by other people but Reulbach is the only one to win both games by shutout.You should edit that to make him seem better otherwise he just sounds like a poor mans Joe McGinnity,which if you think about it,he really is

Old 07-11-2002, 05:33 PM
Administrator

...but I cannot upload scans to this site anymore - simply impossible. I deleted all of my files a couple of weeks ago, but it makes no difference, and Network 54 does not even answer my emails. My only choice is to put the pics on my web-site and add a link....and I didn't miss that McGinnity reference, you ****@#@R$DSDF##@!!!!!

historically significant fact
Ed Reulbach once threw both ends of a double-header, winning both with shutouts, and pitching the entire games

Old 07-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

isnt it redundant to say he pitched 2 shutouts and both were complete games?.....should say hes the only man to pitch shutouts in both ends of a doubleheader....also when we voted worst pre-war set awhile back my choice was the e91 set,just thought id throw that in there

Old 07-11-2002, 06:12 PM
Administrator

I adjusted my trailer quickly to react to John's unfair jab at Big Ed, and didn't check my grammar (thank God you are around for things like that...whoever you are).

The e91 sets are really terrible, precisely because they used generic player pictures. The entire point of this post was to point out that the Reulbach card is NOT a generic image. I would love to hear from someone else who has spotted other cards in the admittedly ugly e91 set that are not generic images.

Disclaimer
I apologize for any poor grammer, repetitions, or dangling participles that you may locate in the above post...it ain't about grammar nohows.

Old 07-11-2002, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Scott,

I'm not real familiar with this set, but I believe that one series of cards have pictures that bare the likeness of the actual player. I do not know which series it is, but I know that the Waddell card actually pictures Waddell. Whichever series has real pictures, those same pictures are used over again in the other series for different players. I hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2002, 06:23 PM
Administrator

I just checked Lipset's guide and he says that there are many cases where actual ballplayers are depicted, giving Plank,Evers,Waddell and J. Collins as examples.

Described by Lipset as "easily the most unpopular "E" set...consists of 99 cards, but only 78 different players (and) only 33 designs which compose the players in each".

Disclaimer
I apologize for any poor grammer, repetitions, or dangling participles that you may locate in the above post...it ain't about grammar nohows.

Old 07-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Andy,

You're correct. There are many E91 images that look like the named player.

For those unfamiliar - The E91 set utilizes the same image for three different players. The 33 images would have to come from a players photo originally. Only names and team names were changed when the same image was re-used for other series.

Most believe set A is representation of the original players/photos and then "repeated" in series "B" and "C". Obviously, big names are easy to identify but other more obscure players are tougher to ID with 100% certainty.

Evers, McGraw, Plank, Overall - I think all of their E91 drawings look very much like the actual person.

Old 07-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

I do not know about the actual photo images used for the E91-A set, but a few years back I researched this set and compared the cards to actual photos of the players, and concluded that at least 2/3 of the cards in the E91-A set have a reasonable facial likeness to the player depicted. In my opinion the E91-A set has always gotten a bum rap and is undervalued because of the generic appellation given to it in the catalogues-- the bodies of the players may not ring true, but for the most part the faces are decent likenesses. To me they are a lot nicer than the caricature-like drawings of some of the strip issues, and in some ways are also nicer than the T201 set, which on many of its cards the artwork on the player's faces is not up to the quality of the other Tobacco issues (examples of this would be the Cobb and Walter Johnson cards--I don't think their essence was quite captured). If American Caramel hadn't issued the second and third series of these cards and repeated the designs with different players, my guess is that this issue would have more collector interest.

Brian

Old 07-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Hey Scott,
do you have any cards of better than "collector grade"

for sale? I won 5k on the "Over " on the ball game last night so I want to buy something special....for myself!

Old 07-12-2002, 07:57 AM
Administrator

I look for nice registration and color, and no damage that would take away from the visual appeal. I won't pay EX prices for cards with vg corners, but I also will avoid EX and better cards if a lower-grade meets my "visual appeal" criteria.

On the other hand, if I see a bargain I will go for it, even if nicer than I collect.

Disclaimer

Old 07-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Please share! Thanks.

Disclaimer

Old 07-12-2002, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Guess what?

I have two certified Christy's from this set bro!
One is a
PSA 5 and a PSA 6 make offers! open wallet mail to me!

Old 07-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Administrator

(alarms go off)

Disclaimer

Old 07-12-2002, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

It never entered my mind, but now that you have mentioned it, this would make a good VCBC article. Thanks for mentioning it Scott--now it is just a question of setting aside the time to organize my thoughts and write the thing.

Brian