NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default O/T The Problems with Forums

I just read on the CU forum (I am not a member) where a newer member said I told him there aren't many 1915 CJ Collectors here on Net54baseball. I would never say that because it's not true. Has it gotten that bad in other places? If that was on BO I would go to a moderator and my guess is they would call the guy out somehow. But is it really that bad over there at that forum nowadays? It's like reading Nash's website, where supposedly it is me saying it is ok to steal as long as you don't get caught..LOL. Yeah, right. To me, those kinds of things really discredit a website. But then again, what do I know?

updated below, post 11...

Last edited by Leon; 08-18-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

I could answer the last question.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Fake news?
Old 08-18-2018, 08:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I could answer the last question.
I know a little about a lot. Or was it ....never mind.
Anyhow, I am sure they don't have the time to manage a chat board for every nuance so not a big blame. And with that, this thread probably needs to be in the water cooler section....so, so be it.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I think it's the same issue you have in any conversation with "creative license" on speaking.

It does seem that people in current society feel no ill will toward adding a little extra lie to any discussion to try to make their point more salient or look more impressive. I always seem to roll my eyes at the bragging on that board as there are quite a few people with legendary items and a broken scanner or post things I personally doubt are theirs. Why not just play it straight?

Who knows why people want the stress of living up to a "story".

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Fake news?
If the shoe fits..
You know me fairly well, can you imagine me saying it's ok to steal as long as you don't get caught, and be serious about it? LOL

Or, if someone asked if there were CrackerJack card collectors on this site, and me saying, no, not many? Right.

As for fake news, sounds too political for me. This is fake quoting me . Hey wait....
Old 08-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Anson

Some people are just starved for attention. They either troll the political sites and say ridiculous things to getvareaction...or...the flap their wings on forums (like CU), bragging about their rare finds.

I wouldn't give this person much thought. You've earned your reputation over the last few decades, Leon. Some bonehead remark on CU isnt going to change that.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'm glad to have Leon as our 'overseer' - 'Our' little corner of the universe.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I saw it, its the new guy-same name here fellow asking about CJ's in the B/S/T section.
He made a few bad responses towards Peter & Don ...maybe that's why he is getting the silent treatment and moved elsewhere, just my observational guess.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 08-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Garth Guibord

Posts like those notes on the other boards say infinitely more about the author than they ever could of Leon.

Thanks, Leon, for all you do for the board and the members here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I saw it, its the new guy-same name here fellow asking about CJ's in the B/S/T section.
He made a few bad responses towards Peter & Don ...maybe that's why he is getting the silent treatment and moved elsewhere, just my observational guess.
Interesting. So the good thing about this forum's registration rules, is that the phone can be picked up when need be, to see what someone is thinking. I just spoke to Micah (hi Micah).... (Crackerjack8Joshua?)

He asked me a few days ago why we couldn't have a CrackerJack Section in the BST areas? I told him there wasn't enough specific threads or posts to have it's own area. So he went over there and said what he did, taking what I said out of context. I told him that wasn't cool as what he said (publicly) was out of context. Oh well, worse things have been said or done. And had I remembered this is who it was, and our conversation, I might not have even started a thread in the first place. It's still out of context but not out of left field, as I initially thought.

Last edited by Leon; 08-18-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post

Thanks, Leon, for all you do for the board and the members here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

agree! thanks for all you do for the hobby leon.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
You've earned your reputation over the last few decades, Leon. Some bonehead remark on CU isnt going to change that.
^^^^^^^^^^^

totally agree. people in the hobby who have been around know what leon is all about!!!!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:11 PM
Manny
Banned

Some of my earliest memories as a kid were about baseball and baseball cards. I'm sure I'm not alone. So it makes sense to me that adults regress into childlike states of insufferable petulance when discussing baseball cards over semi-anonymous online forums.

I belong to a stamp forum and a Civil War forum. People there seem to be more genuinely interested in the history of those subjects and items and learning more about them. I notice that (more than other places) people in card forums care more about showing off and making a quick buck at the expense of others than they do about the cards themselves.

Thinking back to when I was a kid, I remember that I only wanted to have the best cards, and the most expensive collection to impress my friends who were also collectors, because that was the world to me before adult responsibilities took over. It was the only thing to care or worry about.

Now, we as adults, (lawyers, engineers, financial advisers, doctors, etc), live stressful and productive lives, taking part in various hobbies along the way, but yet some of those among us also seem to enjoy that regression back to childhood, except with all of the malice and the manipulative behavior of a full grown adult.

That's why there is so much drama in sports memorabilia, IMO.