NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Default PSA grading a fake Jackson?

Posted By: leon

Unless there is tampering with the holder which can't be seen PSA needs to make good on this. Fortunately this is from our own BST and is being offered by a good friend who will take care of the issue. Is calling PSA's customer service all that needs to be done? They really need some help in the vintage area, imho.....I spotted one of these fakes at the National, in a dealers case, and never could convince him it was fake as a three dollar bill, but it was....regards

http://www.network54.com/Forum/376259/thread/1202153507/last-1202219551/1913+Tom+Barker+Game+Joe+Jackson+For+Sale

Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Leon -
This is exactly why I just crossed over my entire E90-1 set into Sgc holders.
I now have support from a company that stands behind their product 100%.
I didn't have that before with Psa.

Tony

Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Having read PSA's submission guidelines, I believe what you're supposed to do in a case like this is send the card back to PSA and they will determine if it deserves a .5 grade bump.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

david - I think this should be a board sponsored test. We should submit the card asking for the .5 bump and see what happens. I'd be very intrigued.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Now the only question that remains... does it come back a .5 or a 1.5?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Fred - I was serious in my suggestion - I'd love to see what happens if this card is submitted to PSA for upgrade. If it was real, it certainly looks like it would be deserving of the .5 bump.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

What are the chances PSA might be notified in advance by a fan of their service who read this thread?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Brian,

You assume that one end of PSA has a clue about what is happening on the other. I have found this to not be the case and would not be suprised if this card made it through with ease.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator

I think we should "pull a PSA" erase all traces of this discussion from the forum and send it in and see what happens.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

Matt, you're right. Leon should delete all references to this card and then send it in for the bump to 1.5

Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Don't send it to PSA.... they might bump it .5, or buy it.

Send it to SGC. SGC should buy it, and a few other similar PSA mistakes, and then put them together for a really effective advertising campaign. The ad folks could glean enough material from the various threads here that they'd realistically only have to edit and compile ads, and not write them.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Frank, I have no doubt that SGC has contemplated such a thing (how could they not?). I'm not sure what the law is though on using your competitor in an ad for yourself.

Imagine this ad: a bunch of PSA's greatest misses with a picture of Smilin' Joe Orlando under it with his tagline "never get cheated!".

Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Didn't PSA have an ad with that 65 Topps ERA leaders card that was crossed over from SGC to PSA and sold for 5X what it did when it was in an SGC slab?

Pepsi and Coke have been trying to kill each other in their ads for as long as I can remember.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

IMHO, if SGC wanted to REALLY stick it to PSA, they would buy the Gretzky T206 Wagner. Then, if SGC determines for certain that THE CARD had been cut from a sheet well after the sheet had been printed and then was trimmed down to it's current size, they could sue and take ALL the people who have been associated with the card over the years (Mastro, Lifson, Gretzky, McNall, Heitman, PSA, etc) to court and get the truth to come out.

But, I guess THAT will never happen. Oh well.

David

Old 02-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

David, you must live in an ideal world. Who is your internet provider there, and how did the DOW fare today??? Here on this planet ISP is occasionally problematic, the DOW was down 370, and the Gretzky Wagner is as safe as it will ever be in that PSA holder.

But you are right!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

say it ain't so Joe

Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Frank,

There are a few things that I have SERIOUSLY thought about buying if I were to ever win a HUGE amount of money in a lottery ($50 million or more, after taxes). A Fender Stratocaster owned and played by Jimi Hendrix and/or Stevie Ray Vaughn. A 1938 Talbot Lago automobile (sexy and outlandish French body work and very few produced). A minority Ownership in the Cincinnati Reds. Buying THE CARD and having it graded by SGC. Then, if it came back as "Authentic - trimmed", I would go to court.

To me, it would be worth losing some money to find out THE TRUTH about THE CARD. It's REAL history. Things like where it was found. Who most, if not all, of the previous owners were. Where it came from and if there were any pictures of the uncut sheet it was taken from.

There could be historical info that is being suppressed right now because the truth hasn't been told yet. Info like how large the sheets were. How many cards were on a sheet and how the sheet was laid out. Also, things like who the players were and if there were any double or triple prints. I think the collecting hobby NEEDS info like this. I am pretty sure it would make things easier on Ted Z (and others) when he is doing his research and putting forth his theories on T206 cards and the different companies that issued them.

Plus, if I won in court, I would sue for damages and recover what I lost because of the value of the card decreasing because of the over grading. I might not be able to get any more cards graded (or want to) and I also might not be able to bid in most, if not all, major auction houses but that would be OK. I could still buy things on eBay, the B/S/T/ page and by beating the bushes.

David

PS - I am interested in the history of where cards came from because I own 16 different 1928 Star Play Candy cards. One of the cards was uncatalogued at the time I showed a scan of it on this board. That card brought the total number of cards in the set to 73, which is an odd number. Of course, in the Old Cardboard Magazine issue 10, there was a story about the set and nobody has ever seen a 1928 Lou Gehrig, which if it were never issued, would bring the total back down to 72.

However, I think when I bought my 16 cards, there were two more - a Ruth and Gehrig. Of course, by the time I went back to my car and found the cards in the big SCD price guide, found how rare they were and got back to the dealer's table, those two cards were gone.

Now, I did ask the ephemera dealer I bought the cards from how he acquired them. He told me they originally came from his Father, who bought them when he was a child. Based on the info this dealer gave me, I have a general idea, geographically, where the Star Player Candy cards originated from. My goal is to save up enough money so that I can travel there, do research and maybe find out for a fact the origins of these cards. I am also hoping to find MORE of these cards so as to add them to my collection.