NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-08-2023, 07:51 AM
Charles Jackson

Default Ebay seller pcbcomicsandsports trimming cards and bypassing authentication

Ebay seller PCBComicsandSports has some really beautiful raw cards up for auction. Unfortunately, they all look trimmed.

And they are blatantly bypassing ebay authentication by listing all cards as part of Lots with 6 other HOFers that are not mentioned elsewhere in the listing.

They also rarely list pictures of the backs of their cards.

Not sure how they've managed to become a "Top Rated Plus" seller with 99.9% positive feedback and 173K sales....

They have already been called out in a few places for unethical practices:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1548679
https://forums.collectors.com/discus...sports-on-ebay
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-.../td-p/32341544

But I thought I'd call them out again, given their volume of auctions right now.

Here are some of their recent listings:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374682211161

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374682104184

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38559682195...YAAOSw~2pkVzZ1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCBComicsAndSports.jpg (25.6 KB, 2298 views)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-08-2023 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:12 AM

They also manipulate their scans to conceal creases and other issues, including not paying people who consigned with them. They've been around for ages under many different aliases and have been discussed here many times over the years. I believe one of their many former usernames was peppercia. Avoid like the plague.

ᒐ.0.di ᗺ.i.rk.h0lm
Old 05-08-2023, 08:16 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

thanks for the update

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-08-2023, 08:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
They also manipulate their scans to conceal creases and other issues, including not paying people who consigned with them. They've been around for ages under many different aliases and have been discussed here many times over the years. I believe one of their many former usernames was peppercia. Avoid like the plague.

ᒐ.0.di ᗺ.i.rk.h0lm
Yet they have 99.9 percent feedback or something close. I love ebay.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post

ᒐ.0.di ᗺ.i.rk.h0lm
Some people think PCBComicsandSports is the reincarnated infamous ebay seller "Battlefield" https://forums.collectors.com/discus...omicsandsports

Apparently their brick and mortar was robbed in February: https://www.wjhg.com/2023/02/17/pair...x-figure-loss/

I'm not saying I believe in Karma, but....

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-08-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:33 AM

Yep, just another in their litany of usernames.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Some people think PCBComicsandSports is the reincarnated infamous ebay seller "Battlefield" https://forums.collectors.com/discus...omicsandsports

Apparently their brick and mortar was robbed in February: https://www.wjhg.com/2023/02/17/pair...x-figure-loss/

Dothan, Alabama will never be the same if the brothers left there for Panama City, Florida.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:02 AM
Jeremy

But just imagine that 1988 Donruss Dave Winfield that you're basically getting for free!
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 05-08-2023, 09:25 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yet they have 99.9 percent feedback or something close. I love ebay.
eBay feedback has been completely worthless for a LONG time. It makes me LOL every time someone make a big deal about their feedback.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:46 PM
Chad

I fell victim to them recently. They sold a bunch of W573 gave them all very high grades. Mine wasn't close to the grade given. They sure doctored the photo. They also wouldn't respond to multiple messages I just took the risk. They also start all them at .79 and had a reserve they say nothing about until you bid. They also shill bid. Every auction was driven up by 1 bidder then after a certain point another took over mostly on the higher end cards. It was so obvious. I'm not totally disappointed but not nearly as happy either.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Vern View Post
I fell victim to them recently. They sold a bunch of W573 gave them all very high grades. Mine wasn't close to the grade given. They sure doctored the photo. They also wouldn't respond to multiple messages I just took the risk. They also start all them at .79 and had a reserve they say nothing about until you bid. They also shill bid. Every auction was driven up by 1 bidder then after a certain point another took over mostly on the higher end cards. It was so obvious. I'm not totally disappointed but not nearly as happy either.
Open a not as described case?

Old 05-08-2023, 08:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

When I first saw the 52 Topps cards, especially the highs, I became interested but immediately thought these cards looked short to me.
Glad I trusted my gut but this thread also helped me to confirm my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:47 PM
Chris Counts

I saw that recent auction of 1953 Bowmans, and every star card looked trimmed. The Mantle and Musial looked terrible, yet went for crazy prices. I can't say what's worse: a seller who blatantly sells trimmed cards he calls near mint, buyers who throw big bucks at such obvious altered cards thinking their going to get a high grade, or eBay, which clearly doesn't give a hoot, and makes it nearly impossible to report this nonsense (I tried unsuccessfully to do so).
Old 05-09-2023, 01:31 AM
Rob

I was the 2nd underbidder on the 1952 Topps Solly Hemus. I bid 44.44 and it sold for $58. The one that got away.

I don't understand the prices today. I was watching a T206 Matty earlier that sold for 9 clams. Who has 9 dimes for a baseball card? I didn't leave the hobby. The hobby left me.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:19 AM
Jeff Woolsey

I agree, most cards looking a little short when it comes to borders.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I was the 2nd underbidder on the 1952 Topps Solly Hemus. I bid 44.44 and it sold for $58. The one that got away.

I don't understand the prices today. I was watching a T206 Matty earlier that sold for 9 clams. Who has 9 dimes for a baseball card? I didn't leave the hobby. The hobby left me.
A lot of them, especially the highs, went for some big money, imo, especially being raw, but at the same time I've noticed this a lot lately (prices rising) when it comes to 52 Topps cards.
Some looked OK and some didn't but I also thought to myself that some were to good to be true.
The one card I was interested in went a lot higher than I expected, but if it was a non trimmed legit copy, then I think someone did alright based on what I've seen lately despite the stain on the back.
Old 05-09-2023, 09:30 AM
octavio ranzola

just stay far away geez
Old 05-09-2023, 09:47 AM

Default Stay away

I called him out and he took a return but I was very clear that his actions were toeing the line of fraud.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:55 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I saw that recent auction of 1953 Bowmans, and every star card looked trimmed. The Mantle and Musial looked terrible, yet went for crazy prices. I can't say what's worse: a seller who blatantly sells trimmed cards he calls near mint, buyers who throw big bucks at such obvious altered cards thinking their going to get a high grade, or eBay, which clearly doesn't give a hoot, and makes it nearly impossible to report this nonsense (I tried unsuccessfully to do so).

I have bid and won some 1953 Bowmans from them off of eBay. I didn't find any problems with trimming, but I can tell you and everyone else- what I received sure didn't look as nice as the posted image. I received refunds, but it was the disappointment thinking that I had acquired upgrades for my set.

Phil aka Tere1071

Complete 1953 Bowman Color, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1975 Topps Baseball sets under revision as the budget and wife allows

Under construction:
1970 Topps Baseball - missing over 100 cards, mostly after #450 and the three insert sets

1971 Topps Coins- 107/153

1974 Topps Baseball Washington variations
Old 05-11-2023, 09:20 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

I did not know. bought a few 56 topps cards from them about a year ago and sent them right back because they were short 1/2", Had I known the below info, I would never have bought from them.

That is so funny that the co owner is good ole god fearing holier than thou, steal all day, pray all night... Todd Mueller: Todd Mueller, a co-owner of PCB Coins and Cards. “Thank god it was at night
Old 05-11-2023, 11:17 AM
Bob Andrews

Yikes, I've only dealt with the ebay authentication process once so it never occurred to me that 'stuffing' expensive cards in 'lots' was a way to skirt it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that folks quickly found a way around it.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:25 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Scumbags.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:07 PM

I am glad I stumbled onto this post. Perfect timing! I literally had just put in a snipe on the 57 Drysdale. I have cancelled the snipe but can’t cancel my bid I actually placed on the 57 Slaughter. At least it’s only a bid of $11. I knew the cards looked too good. Thank you for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2023, 07:47 AM
$cott Cl1nt0n

A couple of their new auctions just popped up on my saved searches, thought it might be a good time to bump this thread for awareness.

Still using the +6 HOF cards to bypass authentication.

Last edited by Arazi4442; 09-14-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:35 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

A post on Ebay in Vintage Baseball Cards popped up today. I've seen this seller before and had the same feeling that it felt like the old Battlefield. Guy on FB today said his package came from Campbellton, FL, which is just 25 minutes south of Dothan, AL. Not ironclad proof, but it fits nicely.

I'd definitely stay away.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:27 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default without a doubt

PCB and battlefield are the same people. It's amazing people still fall prey to them in whatever iteration......
Old 11-05-2023, 07:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1880nonsports View Post
PCB and battlefield are the same people. It's amazing people still fall prey to them in whatever iteration......
I will go all PWCC, Problemstien, Ect., buyers and say I have 100% bought from the boys from Dothan with zero problems. The cards arrived and were exactly as described and shipped quickly. I see zero problem with buying from them.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

It is a while since we had fun with Candiman and the Battles brothers.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:27 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
It is a while since we had fun with Candiman and the Battles brothers.
I went back and re-read a few of those old threads this week. Think I still have a headache.

One thing I did notice is that pcbcomicsandsports is listed in Cottonwood, AL, which is in between Dothan and Campbellton, FL (where the Ebay order was shipped from). And it was incorporated in June 2018, just a month or two after the whole Candiman auction and fiasco.

Of course, Dothan, Cottonwood and Campbellton are all 70-90 minutes from Panama City, which is where the Ebay listings show they are from.
Old 11-10-2023, 06:18 AM
Larry More.y

The ebay name is "pcbcomicsandsports" while the store that was broken into is named "PCB Coins and Cards". Two different names. Cleary the Battle clan is trying to deceive buyers (in more ways than one) into thinking that they are a seller out of Panama City Beach, which they are clearly not as their items ship from 70+ miles away in Alabama. The brick and mortar store located in PCB should not be confused with the Battle scammers.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:37 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
The ebay name is "pcbcomicsandsports" while the store that was broken into is named "PCB Coins and Cards". Two different names. Cleary the Battle clan is trying to deceive buyers (in more ways than one) into thinking that they are a seller out of Panama City Beach, which they are clearly not as their items ship from 70+ miles away in Alabama. The brick and mortar store located in PCB should not be confused with the Battle scammers.
I just called PCB Coins and Cards, and the owner said he has 4 ebay accounts, but pcbcomicsandsports isn't one of them. I asked him if he knew pcbcomicsandsports and he said he knew exactly who I was talking about, and that they are out of Dothan, Alabama. So it appears you are correct.

It is a bit odd though that pcbcomicsandsports ships out of Panama City, Florida though, according to their email page.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:46 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yeah, I see the PCB store guys at the card show there every year. They're not part of the problem. They're a good family run small business.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:18 AM
Banned

Haven't had a trimming problem with them. But, recently I sent some Topps 1953 cards from pcbcomicsandsports to PSA for grading and three came back ungraded with "evidence of recoloration".
Old 01-10-2024, 11:55 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
I love ebay.
I've said this before and elsewhere, but a large part of the problem is eBay never having bothered to either become or employ category experts on anything which is sold on their site. The most recent evidence of which - redundant and time consuming "authentication" of many cards and other items over a certain dollar value, many of which of course have already been professionally graded.

But yes, eBay feedback is an antiquated joke at this point. They removed the seller's ability to leave legit feedback for buyers in 2008. It's gone steadily downhill from there.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Put your effing name next to what you say!@!

Names, names, names......

What I don't understand is the lack of reading comprehension on this forum. Is there anyone that doesn't know what this means?

If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it.

I am going to start putting names next to posts and will be giving infractions. I am getting tired of it and suspensions will happen after the 2nd warning. Thanks
Old 01-11-2024, 10:15 AM
Phil Reich

They sold two R315 Hubbell cards in one month. If you look at the listing photo...it's the identical photo, for both listings (it has a yellowish streak in the middle ). And these two are not the only listings of this card. I saw them list this card at least one other time, using the same exact photo.....

Pcb must have quite the stash of R315s.

When it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240110-134228-218.jpg (78.1 KB, 724 views)

Last edited by Svabinsky78; 01-11-2024 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 10:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Smh

Didn't even read the post above this one? I need a pay raise. SMH
Infraction given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svabinsky78 View Post
They sold two R315 Hubbell cards in one month. If you look at the listing photo...it's the identical photo, for both listings (it has a yellowish streak in the middle ). And these two are not the only listings of this card. I saw them list this card at least one other time, using the same exact photo.....

Pcb must have quite the stash of R315s.

When it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Last edited by Leon; 01-11-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:33 AM
Phil Reich

Name is Fil Reich.

Another PCB R315 Hubbell listing popped up today. Just stating a fact. The photo in the listing looks very similar to the photos in the two aforementioned sold listings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240113-072723-168.jpg (137.9 KB, 617 views)

Last edited by Svabinsky78; 01-13-2024 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:09 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

This dude is constantly listing trimmed cards
Old 01-13-2024, 10:22 AM
Phil Reich

With the number of R315 Hubbell cards this seller has listed, just makes me wonder if it is the same card that is being relisted, because although not super rare, it is a pretty scarce card and this seller has had a number of these Hubbell cards listed over the past year (I have this card in my Ebay saved searches, so I see anytime a new one pops up).
Old 01-13-2024, 01:46 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Didn't even read the post above this one? I need a pay raise. SMH
Infraction given.
Judge Haller: The next words out of your mouth better be ‘guilty’ or ‘not guilty.’ If I hear anything other than ‘guilty’ or ‘not guilty,’ you’ll be in contempt. I don’t even want to hear you clear your throat. Now, how do your clients plead?”

Vinny Gambini: “I think I get the point.”

Judge Haller: “No, I don’t think you do. You’re now in contempt of court. Would you like to go for two counts of contempt?”
Old 01-14-2024, 01:35 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is the same card. This seller has been peddling this trimmed Hubbell RC for months. He finally auctioned it off and my guess is that the buyer realized it was trimmed and sent it back. BTW, he slips in some extra cards to avoid the eBay authentication program.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-14-2024, 08:15 AM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Names, names, names......

What I don't understand is the lack of reading comprehension on this forum. Is there anyone that doesn't know what this means?

If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it.
This rule isn’t well thought out. One day someone is going to get hurt…. Proper moderation doesn’t require names.
Old 01-14-2024, 11:03 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
This rule isn’t well thought out. One day someone is going to get hurt…. Proper moderation doesn’t require names.
In America there is also the belief that everyone has a right to know who says things about them. This rule is actually very well thought out and as such it's fine.

The best message boards are the ones where the posters are known.

Regards
Rich

PS My name is out there on this board for 20 years now without an issue
Old 01-14-2024, 01:35 PM
Chris Eberhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
In America there is also the belief that everyone has a right to know who says things about them. This rule is actually very well thought out and as such it's fine.

The best message boards are the ones where the posters are known.

Regards
Rich

PS My name is out there on this board for 20 years now without an issue
I have been on message boards since the advent of message boards….. this is the first time my name has been out in the open across many hobbies.

Proper moderation is key here. If post #1 from a new member attacks a dealer it’s suspect…. A 20 year member with 1000 posts giving a heads up about possible thievery is most likely not.

Regards,

Chris
Old 01-14-2024, 01:45 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
I have been on message boards since the advent of message boards….. this is the first time my name has been out in the open across many hobbies.

Proper moderation is key here. If post #1 from a new member attacks a dealer it’s suspect…. A 20 year member with 1000 posts giving a heads up about possible thievery is most likely not.

Regards,

Chris
I think we need consistent rules regardless of how many posts you have.

One of the problems with the internet is people hiding behind anonymity to make comments that they wouldn't make if their names were attached to them.

I am a bit confused as to how you think people listing their names will lead to "someone getting hurt".

If someone is afraid of getting hurt, they can refrain from making the comment that they think could get them hurt.
Old 01-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Al Stein

Quote:

Regards,

Chris
It's a simple rule. I don't see how allowing anonymous accusations would be helpful.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2024, 02:52 PM

I'm not a fan of the name transparency thing, but there's plenty of interaction to be found on this board without getting into critical discussions about specific people, companies, etc.

The people I've purchased from here know my name and I've met some people in real life, but I've spent 30+ years being mostly-anonymous on the internet and I'd like to keep that streak alive.

It means I don't have full access to run my mouth on every thread, but I can live with that.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:01 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I’d rather not have 1 or 2 specific individuals here get my personal information for exactly this reason. All it takes is one angry nutter off his meds one day one time for something to happen. The odds are not high though.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I think we need consistent rules regardless of how many posts you have.

One of the problems with the internet is people hiding behind anonymity to make comments that they wouldn't make if their names were attached to them.

I am a bit confused as to how you think people listing their names will lead to "someone getting hurt".

If someone is afraid of getting hurt, they can refrain from making the comment that they think could get them hurt.
Just to the bold. Threatening emails/PMs, letter from lawyer, getting lies posted about you, openly called names, people buying all you items on eBay and them returning them all at one time just before time runs out on returning the first item. There are many more. Quess how I know these.

I am still all for having to post your name.

Last edited by bnorth; 01-14-2024 at 03:06 PM.