NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2015, 10:14 AM
James

Default lotg

i echo the many positive posts on this thread. this estimate is speculative, but al probably got at least an extra $200k for his consignor by going above and beyond in photo matching the gehrig bat. yes, this likely wasn't an altruistic effort - al obviously benefited as well from the higher price. but isn't that the way it is supposed to work as long as there are no bad actors? the consignor got a sale price probably well beyond their expectations, al did well, and the buyer got a piece that they will hopefully appreciate for many years. i also consigned in this auction, and can sincerely say my experience has been that al is one of the good guys in this hobby.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Tom Boblitt

Won (3) items, (2) below my max bid. VERY VERY fair shipping cost and looking forward to the items. I've won items in 3-4 of the auctions and have always been pleased. There is something with EVERY auction format that hurts some bidder and some consignor but it's Al's job to find the balance to get the most items to the most people......so far, so good.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Tony Ooten

I commented on LOTG shipping costs in Leon's auction thread saying I thought $8.40 (it was really $8.15 after I checked my invoice to be sure) was too high for 4 ungraded cards. One poster commented that he thought $8 shipping for properly packed cards in a box seems more than fine, especially if the cards are insured by LOTG's carrier.

Thought I'd carry my further questions/comments over here;

My 4 LOTG winnings/invoices over the last 2 years were:
4 raw tobacco cards less than $100 shipped for $8.15;
a graded T3 and a graded 52T greater than $800 shipped for $8.80;
a graded T3 $160 shipped for $8.95;
a graded E92 $600 shipped for $8.00

There seems to be no correlation between value/size and cost to ship.

I'm just curious if anyone can shed some light on that?

Also, I admit I know nothing about insuring mailed cards and maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but:
This is from LOTG's rules: 21. Insurance is provided by Collectibles Insurance Agency. The buyer assumes the risk of loss on all items purchased once we ship said items.

Doesn't this say that if I buy an item and don't receive it, then I am responsible? I must be reading that wrong because if that's the case, what is the insurance for?

Appreciate any insight
Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

I would look at it that you got a bargain on shipping for the more expensive cards.

At first blush I agree with you that that language doesn't make sense. I assume it's just boilerplate and that if an item did get lost Al would cover it and submit an insurance claim, but I can't speak for him of course.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would look at it that you got a bargain on shipping for the more expensive cards.

Nice point, I remember holding those big boxes that they shipped the T3's in and thinking $8 or $9 seemed about right for those.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Jay Cee

Good catch Tony. I think what most AHs do is they have a third party insurance carrier. All the packages are covered if they use USPS and send certified. USPS also gives unlimited free boxes to use for their USPS shipments. There are a few AHs that do NOT do this and they still use shipping/handling as a profit center. Plus I know there is one other AH (advertiser on net54) that wont use a third party umbrella policy for their customers and just pays the ripoff off rate that UPS/Fed-x charges for insurance and passes it along to their customers.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 PM
Al

Quote:
There seems to be no correlation between value/size and cost to ship.

I'm just curious if anyone can shed some light on that?
Hi everyone:

Happy to do so; I like to think the LOTG shipping, for what it is, is among the cheapest in the hobby.

My shipping costs are based on three factors: 1) the value of the package, 2) the weight of the package, and 3) some arbitrary sorcery that I'll try and explain below.

First, with respect to insurance: I do not charge bidders for insurance unless the total value of the package is greater than $25,000. I have to have insurance to keep my inventory secure, and insurance on shipping is part of my policy already. If I need to purchase a temporary endorsement on a high-value package, I do pass that cost along.

There is an indirect insurance cost that I pass along in that I do have to ship certain ways based on the value of the package, simply because I have some requirements for how I have to ship. Any package valued over $500 needs to have a signature requirement, which costs $2.35 or something like that (if you've ever gotten a package valued over $500 that didn't have a signature requirement, that was a mistake on my part - don't tell the insurance company!). Any package valued over $2,000 needs to go via Express Mail. Any package valued over $25,000 goes via FedEx. So those are some "forced" costs, I guess, that are driven by my insurance requirements.

The important thing to note, though, is that for my Premier auctions, everything is shipped via Priority Mail at a minimum. That's what's responsible for the majority of the cost. For instance, for me to ship a small parcel weighing around one pound from my office to Tony O, the cost is $7.55. I use Priority Mail because it's safe, quick, and because I can track every package if something gets lost.

From there, anyone who has received a package from me knows what is involved. I take pride in how I package people's winnings, to the point where I still package most of the boxes myself. Even a single card is packed very carefully, with a host of different types of material protecting the card - typically a fresh, triple-walled corrugated outer box, some heavy duty bubble wrap, some corrugated interior pads, AND a bubble wrap bag, at the very least. None of my packing materials are freebie, USPS material, and I almost never reuse boxes (exceptions being for odd-sized or custom-packed items). There's somewhere between $2 and $4 in packing materials involved with each package, depending on what I'm shipping.

Beyond the postage cost and an estimate for packaging materials, the "sorcery" that goes into it is simple: My SimpleAuctionSite software automatically calculates shipping costs on every lot. Before I send out invoices, though, I review each one manually, just to see if any of the shipping costs seem excessive to me. Typically, I reduce about half the invoices by a couple of dollars or so - it's done completely by my gut, it's a reduction from the actual cost to ship, and it's always based on something simple, like "That just seems like too much to pay for that." I never increase a shipping cost, only decrease. That's why sometimes you see a shipping charge for $9.20, and then the next auction it'll be $8.75 for something similar - because I'm randomly reducing the actual cost by a few bucks to a number that feels more fair.

In each auction, I lose money on shipping. It's definitely not a profit center for me in any way.

I hope this explains things a bit, since it's not often I hear my shipping is expensive!

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 08-14-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Jay Cee

Al, you have a great auction and your shipping charges have always been more than fair. My earlier post about some AHs was not directed at your company at all, and sorry if that was implied. The only auctions that have better shipping than you are Ebay where shipping is free. Keep up the great work and hopefully other AHs will follow your blueprint.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Al

Hi Jim!

I didn't think you were complaining at all; it's not every day I have an opportunity to explain something as mundane as this, and since it came up in two different threads today I thought this was a good time. And thanks so much for the kind words.

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 08-14-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:25 AM
Tony Ooten

Hi Al,
I won't prolong this mundane topic beyond saying thanks for explaining why there is no correlation between value/size and shipping costs.

By the way I loved your story about swinging the Gehrig bat in a diner and enjoyed seeing it in Chicago

Have a great weekend!

Tony
Old 08-15-2015, 06:39 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default shipping

4 graded cards weigh a little over 9 ounces. Add the box and the packing material and the total weight is over a pound, so he has to pay the 2 pound rate, which can range anywhere from $5.95 to $13.50, depending on which zone the customer lives in. Chances are that Al is losing money if he is only charging 8 or 9 bucks for this package.

He could use a small flat rate box, but I don't feel that the small boxes are enough protection if you try to jam 4 graded slabs into the box.

Sorry, I read Tony's post incorrectly. Those were 4 raw cards. Even with 4 raw cards, using a solid box and some good cushioning, 8 or 9 bucks is still a good deal. Many eBay dealers are charging $5 for 1 card in a bubble envelope.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 08-15-2015 at 06:44 AM. Reason: update