NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Default * For The Seasoned T206 Collectors*

Posted By: Jeff Kennedy

As some of you may know, I am a beginning T206 collector. Although I have spent alot of time familiarizing myself with the set, I wanted to pick the brains of some of the more seasoned T206 collectors. My question is, Out of all the cards in the set, which cards have been the hardest ones for you to come by? Feel free to skip the Wagner, Plank, Magie, and Doyle as I am already aware that unless I become the next winner of the Publishers Clearing House, I will never own these cards. My focus is mainly on the harder common cards and such that you had problems acquiring for your set. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-26-2003, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The other obvious ones, Demmitt and O'Hara. Also Smith Chicago & Boston. Players that only appear with 150 backs and Southern Leaguers. But even there, there are certain players that ahrder than others. I've been out of t206 collecting too long to all the subtleties that have emerged.

As scot and others have pointed out, the Boston players that are missing the "B" are not really variations per se, but cards taht are missing red ink.

Also, be very careful about the imfamous "Nodgrass" variants. Most of the ones out there are fakes.

Jay

Old 03-27-2003, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

You can get the Mitchell Toront "No O" variation for a mere $60,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=2719107148&rd=1

Old 03-27-2003, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Kennedy

Jay and Marc, thanks for the input, but I was referring to the regular cards in the set. I am attempting to build the entire set, (minus the Big 4)so I am not really interested in any of the rare error cards.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

I started my T206 set about 2 years ago and currenly need 2 cards (other than the "big 4" to complete my set, O'Neil and Revelle. The six cards I just got to get me this close were Elberfeld Wash portrait, Ganley, Hooker, Lundgren KC, Schaefer Detroit and Wilhelm with bat. I really don't know why these took the longest to find. Luckily, I was able to buy a couple of large lots in some auctions like 189 differnt T206's in Lew Lipsets auction, to make the job alot easier. (For a guy who I'm sure forgot more than I will ever know about cards..boy is he a bad grader of cards..but that's another story.)I think depending on the grade or condition you are looking for ..that will determine how hard it will be to find the cards to complete the set. I really believe it is a set that can be completed if you have the patience and the of course resources to do so. Have fun and Good Luck!
Alan

Old 03-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

In any grade -- you should be able to acquire most of the cards in the set, and it is pretty clear by now which errors, variations, etc. are tougher than the rest.

If you are focusing on a specific grade minimum, then the situation becomes clearer as to which cards are tough.

Examples of tougher commons in higher grades include: Al Bridwell no cap, Ambrose Puttman, Arlie Latham, Barney Pelty (vertical), Bill Burns, Bill Hart (Little Rock), Bob Ganley, Bob Rhoades (right arm out), Bunk Congalton, Carlos Smith, Charles Seitz, Cy Semour (Throwing), Doc Adkins, Foley White, Fred Merkle (throwing), George Manion, George Mullin (with bat), Harry Arndt, Jack Bastian, Jake Stahl (glove showing), all the Joe Doyle cards, John Titus (Mr. Mustache!!), both Lefty Leifields, Donlin fielding, Red Ames (hands at chest), Nicholls batting, Conroy fielding, etc.

Obviously it very much depends on your condition criteria. If you are only looking for VG/EX examples, these should be abundant for most players/poses if you are patient. If you are looking for rare backs -- some of those are tough for nearly every player. It depends on exactly how you are collecting the set. Hope the list above helps.

MS

Old 03-27-2003, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig

When completing my set, the last common I needed was Cassidy.