NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Default David Hall auctioning his t206 master collection

Now that David Hall is auctioning his t206 master collection, does it mean t206 rare backs market will go downhill? The market will no longer has a big shark willing to pay insane prices for rare backs.

Last edited by chriskim; 07-08-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:31 AM

David Hall's cards are already priced in. If a new find was discovered, that would lower the prices on rare backs. This is not the case. In fact, because of the supply and demand, it may even raise the price of rare backs. Nobody has the rare backs that Dave Hall has.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:02 AM

Default rare backs

The t206 set and so popular and the quantity of tougher backs seems to be short of the demand. I see them to continue to increase despite Hall's influx of cards into the market.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:59 AM
Ed Hans

[QUOTE=bigfish; I see them to continue to increase despite Hall's influx of cards into the market.[/QUOTE]

I don't know, Toby. That's a hell of a lot of rare backs to be absorbed. Sixty something Drums (I'm going by memory, so that may be off). I'm sure lots of collectors will want one or two for their type set, but unless someone else, or two someones, really, is attempting what David was, I just don't see that many being absorbed without some softening of the prices.

Last edited by edhans; 07-08-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-08-2019, 10:42 AM
pete ullman

I have no doubt Halls' cards will be "absorbed" but I do question the prices some of these cards will command.

Last 5-10 years or so...as long as I've been aware of Hall's attempt at the monster I can't tell you how many friends/collectors I know for a fact put cards up for sale they knew that hall needed. I'm sure lots of shilling and driving up prices of some/many of these cards did occur with the mindset that Hall is loaded and he will pay.

While there are no doubt many deep pocketed collectors out there I still think some of halls' cards will sell for less than he paid...not to mention the ones that will be outed as altered.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Me being a collector of the same set that David is selling, I can say that there won't be much of a flood in the market since technically it's only one card of each being sold. I know there has to be more than me collecting the set. As far as what they will sell for, I don't think David will lose money overall on the sale. The big question is, how many of us have the money currently to spend on these cards. I currently don't, but I will be waiting for 2 cards to bid on.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 07-08-2019, 11:50 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Unless new demand has entered the market, prices will go down. His prices were were one increment over an underbidder. If no new aggressive bidder enters the market these prices will effectively be one increment over the second underbidder (assuming all prior bidders are still bidding). This by definition is a lower, possibly a lot lower, price.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Cards

My guess is this will be a two year project. He’s a smart man and certainly has a feeling for what the market will bear.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Shouldn't affect the market too much. There's PLENTY of other big sharks bidding crazy amounts on T206 rare backs (some of them are known here, others keep a lower profile...but they are there). His cards will get gobbled up/absorbed, and the market and craze will keep rolling on. Supply & demand. Yes, the supply will get a decent bump, but there's still thousands of T206 collectors out there. Huge demand.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 07-09-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I agree. These will be absorbed easily. I also don't see any glut or depressed pricing because of it. There is 0 doubt he will make money on some and lose on others. In the end, I will guess he is a little ahead (financially) on the sale. Just a guess. It's fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Shouldn't affect the market too much. There's PLENTY of other big sharks bidding crazy amounts on T206 rare backs (some of them are known here, others keep a lower profile...but they are there). His cards will get gobbled up/absorbed, and the market and craze will keep rolling on. Supply & demand. Yes, the supply will get a decent bump, but there's still thousands of T206 collectors out there. Huge demand.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:06 PM

It’s a real good question. I generally agree with Michael that everything will get absorbed, often at record prices. However, I do fear that the pure volume/supply of commons with rare backs, could hurt the value of commons with rare backs. There are very few Cobb Lenox or Baker red hindu, but to most of us, a common player is a common player, and we really don’t care who is on the front; rather it’s the back we are after. So maybe the value/cost of common Drums, Uzits, Lenox, BL, CB go down for a spell do to availability (much supply).
Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
It’s a real good question. I generally agree with Michael that everything will get absorbed, often at record prices. However, I do fear that the pure volume/supply of commons with rare backs, could hurt the value of commons with rare backs. There are very few Cobb Lenox or Baker red hindu, but to most of us, a common player is a common player, and we really don’t care who is on the front; rather it’s the back we are after. So maybe the value/cost of common Drums, Uzits, Lenox, BL, CB go down for a spell do to availability (much supply).

Ryan, what you say re the prices of Hall's quantity of T206 commons with rare backs makes sense, on the one hand. On the other hand, if a couple of T206 collectors who currently have say 2-3 Lenox cards in their collections decide this may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to obtain a slew of Lenox cards, then I can see the Lenox commons selling for surprisingly high prices. Ditto for Drums, Uzits, BLs, CBs, etc.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:07 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I dont see it affecting the market too much....there are several cards that likely wont come close to what he spent on

Red Hindy DANNY MURPHY (BATTING) G PSA 2
http://catalog.scpauctions.com/lot-20959.aspx
Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 PM
Peter Calderon

Default David Hall Collection

This deal has been months, if not years in the making. Some information on the David Hall Collection of T206s. There will be three auctions in 2019 with his cards. Auction 50015 which is July 18-20 will be the first. Session Two (Lots 81736 – 81923) will end on July 19 are dedicated to Mr. Hall's cards. In September and December there will be dedicated auctions for his collection. All three will have a dedicated catalog. All three covers will form one panoramic-style scene as will the back covers.

The focus of first offering is rarity. Many rare brands including Carolina Brights, Broad Leaf, Drum, Hindu-Brown, Hindu-Red and Uzit. The Ty Cobb portraits include an Old Mill (Red Portrait), Lenox-Black (Red Portrait), Hindu-Red (Red Portrait) and Old Mill (Green Portrait). A few other highlights - Walter Johnson-Broad Leaf, Mathewson/Portrait-Hindu Brown, Mathewson/White Cap-Hindu Brown and Mathewson/Dark Cap-Tolstoi. I think you get the idea.

The focus of the September auction will be quality. There will be a complete set, including Honus Wagner and what has to be the most incredible Ty Cobb Tobacco tin!

The focus of the December auction will be "Sovereign Cigarettes." I believe he has one of the most complete sets of "Sovereign" backs known.

And yes, there will be more coming in 2020 and I will post updates as plans and schedules become finalized.

Good Luck and Thank You to Everyone Who Participates,

Peter
Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
I dont see it affecting the market too much....there are several cards that likely wont come close to what he spent on

Red Hindy DANNY MURPHY (BATTING) G PSA 2
http://catalog.scpauctions.com/lot-20959.aspx
This is the one that I thought of as well. It took two bidders to reach that level. With Hall out, it will go for less than 1/10th that much.

Last edited by Sean; 07-10-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:16 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It will at least provide an interesting case study. There are a lot of player back run collectors that may have a rare chance to complete their "sets" that should keep some bidding up for commons.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

They will all bring a ton of money. I sold David many cards and believe me, he knows his shit! Just saying....Keep in mind, it takes 2 bidders to tango.....People talk about the prices he paid, well Hell, who was the other bidder?

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 07-10-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
They will all bring a ton of money. I sold David many cards and believe me, he knows his shit! Just saying....Keep in mind, it takes 2 bidders to tango.....People talk about the prices he paid, well Hell, who was the other bidder?
In that scenario since the main bidder is gone the 3rd bidder is who will have to push the price now. Unless there is new rare back collectors.

I am not a T206 collector, are the rare backs still hot?
Old 07-10-2019, 05:11 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Ben, I'm not saying that the rare backs will get to where they were several years ago. David Hall pushed that bar big time, BIG time. I do think there is still a big market for rare backs, not one of my favorite collecting choices, but it is what it is. I would rather buy an 8 with a common back versus a 3 with a rare back any day, just me though...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 07-10-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am sure he got a lot, or most, of his cards at auction BUT I am also sure collectors knew what he collected and chased him down for private sales. (and vice versa)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 PM

I’m curious just to see what he had. There are cards I’d love to have for my collection -commons but with scare or rare backs - that I’ve never seen for auction/sale.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 07-18-2019, 01:54 AM
louie joo

Default David Hall Auction

oops

Last edited by tibor1; 07-20-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: was not able to put my full name in with post
Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 AM
Banned

public service announcement or paid advertisement?
Old 07-18-2019, 06:09 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
public service announcement or paid advertisement?
seems like a mixture
Old 07-18-2019, 07:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor1 View Post
This is a once in a life time opportunity to acquire some rare
cards. Bid on cards for your collection. Don't let " shoulda, coulda"
be your motto years from now.
Please put your full name next to your post.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:54 AM
And.y Ell.is

pardon my ignorance, I dont know David Hall ........
Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/awardshalloffame
Scroll down a little bit.

Added: For collectors that like provenance of having cards owned by famous collectors, an example would be a nice thing to add to your collection. If I wasn't boycotting at this point, I would probably win one of the cheaper ones.

Last edited by swarmee; 07-18-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:00 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceplay sport View Post
pardon my ignorance, I dont know David Hall ........
wasn't he 1/2 of hall and oates?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:07 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
wasn't he 1/2 of hall and oates?
Yeah, he was Oates.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/awardshalloffame
Scroll down a little bit.

Added: For collectors that like provenance of having cards owned by famous collectors, an example would be a nice thing to add to your collection. If I wasn't boycotting at this point, I would probably win one of the cheaper ones.
I agree having at least one would be nice but was curious about your boycotting. Heritage is doing the auctions and nearly all of David's cards were graded before all this card doctoring. I personally believe that purchasing any of his cards now would be just like if we were purchasing them two years ago in regards to the grading. Also, David never bothered to reholder his collection to add any provenance on the holders, so the only way to tell if a card was one of David's would be to cross reference the PSA number and the auction catalog.

Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52

Old 07-18-2019, 10:29 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I agree having at least one would be nice but was curious about your boycotting. Heritage is doing the auctions and nearly all of David's cards were graded before all this card doctoring. I personally believe that purchasing any of his cards now would be just like if we were purchasing them two years ago in regards to the grading. Also, David never bothered to reholder his collection to add any provenance on the holders, so the only way to tell if a card was one of David's would be to cross reference the PSA number and the auction catalog.
Right. The owner of PSA had his cards graded by his own company. What could possibly go wrong with that?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Right. The owner of PSA had his cards graded by his own company. What could possibly go wrong with that?
I totally understand what your saying but all cards that David bought that were in PSA holders were never resubmitted for upgrade. Many of the SGC cards that he crossed over to PSA actually were down graded. I'm not sure how many cards he bought raw. In my opinion, if all this current doctoring/trimming scandal didn't happen, there would be nearly no issues with the sale. I'd also like to say that with over 5000 T206's, I'm sure PSA got a few wrong and advise everyone to buy the card and not the holder.

Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52

Old 07-18-2019, 11:12 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor1 View Post
This is a once in a life time opportunity to acquire some rare
cards. Bid on cards for your collection. Don't let " shoulda, coulda"
be your motto years from now.
This is the kind of irrational emotion that lets card manipulators thrive. You're a prime target for them.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:11 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
I agree having at least one would be nice but was curious about your boycotting. Heritage is doing the auctions and nearly all of David's cards were graded before all this card doctoring.
Propping up the resale value of cards in their slabs is something I'm not going to do at this point. I am not throwing shade on this collection, but if they were altered, it's kind of been shown that PSA likely didn't catch it. And their current leadership isn't doing enough *in broad daylight* to make me feel good about purchasing their cards for my own collection.

Even if it was a graded card of Lionel Carter or Jefferson Burdick currently residing in a PSA, SGC, or BGS holder, I wouldn't purchase it right now. I want to hold the Third Party Graders to a higher standard than they seem to hold themselves to.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:59 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Wow

All I have here is wow. Ron is correct. I would venture to say that any card David bought graded PSA stayed PSA. Would the naysayers also believe that he was altering coins along the way ? Can we get back to collecting and move on ? If this "scandal" takes the fun out of it for you then sell your stuff and buy some vintage cars or Guitars or Art...There's never any altering with those collectibles.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:08 AM

I think all of you should stay away from Hall's collection and nobody should bid. Its way too dangerous.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Card doctoring has been rampant for decades. I don't know what you mean by "before all this card doctoring." The Harris Collection was what, 1990s?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-19-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:33 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
No conflict of interest there.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:34 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Card doctoring has been rampant for decades. I don't know what you mean by "before all this card doctoring." The Harris Collection was what, 1990s?
ya...and there's the gretzky wagner. Out of 5000 T206's there is no doubt altered cards in there. But a unique opportunity for sure!
Old 07-19-2019, 06:38 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
ya...and there's the gretzky wagner. Out of 5000 T206's there is no doubt altered cards in there. But a unique opportunity for sure!
Some people seem to have a distinct misimpression that because it's much easier to trace newer sales through high quality scans and the majority of outed cards thus have been in newer holders, that somehow that means rampant card doctoring is a recent phenomenon. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-19-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:07 AM
pete ullman

Ignorance is bliss, Pete!

I wish I could feign ignorance!

Additionally there are a few cards I want so bad I wouldn't care if they were altered.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I meant before this Moser/PWCC scandal jumped off. I know there have been issues with cards before that but nothing to this current level of impact. Maybe social media is driving the topic further than it normally would be. When the whole T206 Wagner thing happened, nearly anyone was worried about buying PSA graded cards or having altered cards in their personal collection. My main opinion was that David's collection has the same risk that other cards had, before the Moser scandal happened.

Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52

Old 07-19-2019, 07:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I meant before this Moser/PWCC scandal jumped off. I know there have been issues with cards before that but nothing to this current level of impact. Maybe social media is driving the topic further than it normally would be. When the whole T206 Wagner thing happened, nearly anyone was worried about buying PSA graded cards or having altered cards in their personal collection. My main opinion was that David's collection has the same risk that other cards had, before the Moser scandal happened.
Again, in my opinion, the current level of impact is only due to message board and now media publicity. The same problem, in the same percentage, applies to cards graded since day one. And it's a major problem. High grade T206s in particular, see the Harris Collection and so on.

Plus, you have the added fact here that PSA graded its owner's cards. There is certainly a potential conflict.

Maybe they're all fine. But there is certainly reason for caution, IMO.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-19-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

What percentage of all PSA (numerically) graded T206s do you think are altered in some way that should have disqualified them from a numerical grade? 0.1? 1? 10? 50?
Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
What percentage of all PSA (numerically) graded T206s do you think are altered in some way that should have disqualified them from a numerical grade? 0.1? 1? 10? 50?
Applying PSA published standards literally, such that pressing out a corner or surface wrinkle, or any erasure, would count as an alteration?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-19-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Applying PSA published standards literally, such that pressing out a corner or surface wrinkle, or any erasure, would count as an alteration?
Let's say it's acceptable if you just use your fingers but if you use any other equipment or any chemicals other than air and water it's no good.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Let's say it's acceptable if you just use your fingers but if you use any other equipment or any chemicals other than air and water it's no good.
I am only speculating. But I would guess
1-3 5-10 percent
4-7 20-40 percent
8 and up 50 percent or higher

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-19-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:45 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Hall

A lot of the PSA graded cards that Hall purchased were thru auctions and EBay etc. He really pushed the market value up on the rare backs . These cards were already graded by PSA and not submitted by him and I believe most if not all remain in the same PSA holder with the original grade for his purchases.
I am a low to mid grade pre war collector with mostly cards graded PSA / SGC 3-5 so I'm not that concerned with buying graded cards for my collection.
It really Sucks for High End collectors but this crap has been going on for.a Very very long time . Where there is $$$ to be made there will always be Greedy people looking to take advantage.
Really puts a black cloud over the hobby but I love collecting and will continue buying at a slower pace.
John P
Old 07-19-2019, 07:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
All I have here is wow. Ron is correct. I would venture to say that any card David bought graded PSA stayed PSA. Would the naysayers also believe that he was altering coins along the way ? Can we get back to collecting and move on ? If this "scandal" takes the fun out of it for you then sell your stuff and buy some vintage cars or Guitars or Art...There's never any altering with those collectibles.
Thanks Adam...Spot on....People, move on will you? All of this shit is ridiculous and it has consumed this forum for 6 freaking months! By the way, David is laughing his ass off.....
Old 07-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Yeah, if only it wasn't real.