NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 PM
James
James Kin.chen

I agree with Peter. Like I said earlier, there is a reason that the cards are not graded.
James
Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Daniel,

If I could make a suggestion...I think it would go a long way with earning the trust of the board by offering to give full refunds, plus the shipping, insurance and grading fees, for any of your cards that come back altered. My guess is that you already know that most of them are, otherwise you would have graded them yourself, but if you're serious about gaining trust here then you're going to need to figure out a way to assure people they won't be out one cent. And, to be honest, I'm not even sure that would work, but I think you're gonna need a hail Mary here.
Their rules state they will refund if the card comes back altered but will not refund if their NM appearing card comes back as EX. What would go a long way is to put up large clear scans of the cards so that buyers might have a chance to assess the card themselves.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
The answer is one.

Hmmmmmmm.............

“How many mailing addresses do battlefield, war eagle and Candiman Auctions have?”
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions View Post
Frank,

Candiman Auctions mailing address is NOT associated with Battlefield, War Eagle, or anyone else. I'm sure there are people on this forum who purchased items from those others who can verify this if you don't want to take my word for it.

Daniel

I hate Jeopardy.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
I agree with Peter. Like I said earlier, there is a reason that the cards are not graded.
James
it's the elephant in the room for me, particularly with the squishy talk about being unable to guarantee tpg grades etc.

if you're a hobby icon who everyone knows and trusts that's one thing

as was pointed out, when you are relatives of one of the hobby's biggest fraudsters and are selling their inventory, quite another

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:07 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Their rules state they will refund if the card comes back altered but will not refund if their NM appearing card comes back as EX. What would go a long way is to put up large clear scans of the cards so that buyers might have a chance to assess the card themselves.
My point was that that's not far enough. But I agree about the scans.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Jason B.

Battles Brothers--

Again, thanks for getting involved in the discussion directly. Your persistence honestly deserves credit.
You're getting your points across well, and you seem intelligent and thoughtful.
It's hard to win with a losing hand, but you're playing it well.

A lot has been said already, so I'll just make two quick points that are the sore thumbs for me:

Credibility: You've said that you want to gain credibility as an Auction House and develop long-lasting business relationships with folks in the hobby.
A necessary goal for an AH, but in today's world there is absolutely no way to be viewed as a credible AH with high end-appearing cards that are Ungraded.
This is not 1995, honestly, and the world has turned on that one a long time ago. Reputable AH's who receive important raw cards send them to a TPG for grading prior to auction, usually at their own expense.
It's standard of practice, and you are a brand new AH that is outside of this Standard at the moment.

Relationships: Similar to above, you've clearly stated that you want to build long-term relationships in the hobby.
But Vintage collecting is not a vast, anonymous empire. Everyone -- absolutely everyone -- who is in this hobby for more than a minute establishes relationships with fellow collectors and sellers.
I understand that you have been exposed to cards through your family, but is there no-one in the hobby world that could vouch for your intentions? This beggars belief, honestly.
To me, this is the most concerning and unbelievable piece of the puzzle, and it speaks to your intentions in the hobby as temporary, not permanent.

The established Auction Houses grew organically from long-standing relationships in the hobby. They were not started up just because someone had a supply of cards they wanted to move and the ability to use SimpleAuctionSite.com.

Many of us invest 4, 5, and even 6-figure sums on Vintage cards. We need to feel like that buying experience is safe and secure, not like I'm buying something out of the back of some guy's van in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Anyway, if in 10 years Candiman Auctions is a reputable and established Auction House, then it will be a hard-fought and incredible victory for your stated convictions. I'll be in line to give you a big high-five if that's the case.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:32 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Please finish this sentence...

I try to have an open mind on this sort of thing, but I prefer specificity over generality. Let's look at Lot #26...1953 Bowman Color Mantle.

You state: "This particular card up for auction is New York Yankees Hall of Fame legend Mickey Mantle. This card has the appearance of a NM-MT condition card but does measure smaller than the standard size and would likely only receive a grade of “Authentic” if submitted to any of the major grading companies."

Let's say I win this lot for $1000 (incl. BP) and I send it to PSA. I use the 10 day shipping option ($50), send it insured Priority Mail ($14.99) and pay PSA $18 to return it. The card comes back from PSA No Grade - N-1 Evidence of Trimming.

You would refund me $.......?
Old 03-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Hal T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Thoughts:

-you started this thread to defend yourself only AFTER a Net54 user posted proof that your last name matches Battlefield’s name. That wasn’t being “upfront and honest.” That was you being reactive. Being “upfront and honest” would have been proactive, but it is too late for that.

-your parents taught you love the hobby. Did they also teach you how to deceive potential buyers?

-what about War Eagle on eBay? You didn’t mention that War Eagle was most likely the same seller as Battlefield. It seems that Candiman is your third attempt to con under a similar format. What will your next name be?....just so we know.

-you wrote, “we advised them to shut down their business.” I read that Battlefield was booted from eBay and that they didn’t voluntarily close their business. Are saying that they weren’t booted from eBay for fraud?

-it seems like you have a huge inventory of altered/trimmed cards to sell. Since you have so much $ and time invested in this ongoing con, you have no choice but to sell these cards to recoup $ = newly created auction house.

-it is interesting that you repeatedly referred to your parents as “Battlefield”, “them” or “they.” I encourage readers here to re-read the original post and substitute those words with the phrase “our parents.” I feel that you are just trying distract us into forgetting that you are “related” to con artists. I’d like to remind potential buyers here that they may be taking on too much of a risk of fraud at its worst and just a headache at its best.

-I feel that there may not be a Daniel or Justin at all. Just the same people trying to deceive collectors by using a slightly different format. Maybe Daniel/Justin were the original culprits all along. If so, then why would they start being honest now?

-I was never ripped off by Battlefield, but they tried their best to try to rip me off. I bought some cards which turned out to be heavily photoshopped. I contacted Battlefield twice through eBay and didn’t receive a response. I returned the cards through eBay and eBay had to force them to refund $. A few weeks later the same cards were sold again using the same photos. Deception, attempted fraud, zero customer service, then more deception.

If you become an honest seller(s), then I wish you luck.
Curt, I believe your assessment of the situation to be spot on. Master manipulation by the Ebay first family of photoshopped, altered cards in an attempt to sell NET54 members a bag of dog $hit in hopes they'll be happy they bought it.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

yep, buy a raw high end expensive card, that we didn't submit for grading and won't say why, from battlefield's relatives, from battlefield's inventory, with a smallish scan, no recourse if you or a tpg disagree with our grade, we have no hobby experience or reputation, but trust us

sorry hope I am wrong but that's where I am despite the pitch

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
with all the smooth talk and reassurances and self-promoting narrative, I am still waiting for the explanation why you would choose not to grade cards that obviously would be worth substantially more if in fact they are in the condition you claim.
I'm beginning to think these guys like "dodgeball" more than they like Baseball.

Guys, (Candiman) I think it's too late now anyways as you lost anything you had with me by dodging this question, repeatedly.

Last edited by irv; 03-06-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:17 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
yep, buy a raw high end expensive card, that we didn't submit for grading and won't say why, from battlefield's relatives, from battlefield's inventory, with a smallish scan, no recourse if you or a tpg disagree with our grade, we have no hobby experience or reputation, but trust us

sorry hope I am wrong but that's where I am despite the pitch
That about sums it up. I'm having a hard time understanding why everyone doesn't see this. I get that less educates buyers will bid thinking they can buy, grade, and flip these cards for a profit. Guys on this site should know better. Caveat emptor.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Eric Bea.chley

If I was a consignor for a group of $100 - $500 cards, I would not want to spend roughly $25 per card for grading which I probably wouldn't recoup with higher sales. And that's on top of waiting another 4 months to get paid since that's how long it is taking to get back cards from PSA.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:26 PM
Jay Cee

Why would any consignor give you cards when you tell potential buyers good luck, and I hope you win the card at a cheap price?

There are many old skool collections out there that have not been slabbed yet. So, why would any consignor give a new auction house some nice cards and not worry about grading or trying to maximize their investment????
Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Grading

Didn't look, but I assume the buyer premium is +/- 20%.
Auction houses are in this to make money:
Sell a questionable 52T Jackie raw for $1,500 and make a $300 fee.
Sell a NM graded 52T Jackie for $7,000 and make a $1,400 fee.
Why grade them???..maybe they are in it for the love of the hobby only?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Daniel,

If I could make a suggestion...I think it would go a long way with earning the trust of the board by offering to give full refunds, plus the shipping, insurance and grading fees, for any of your cards that come back altered. My guess is that you already know that most of them are, otherwise you would have graded them yourself, but if you're serious about gaining trust here then you're going to need to figure out a way to assure people they won't be out one cent. And, to be honest, I'm not even sure that would work, but I think you're gonna need a hail Mary here.
I said simply..................WHY NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL; than there is buyer protections.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I said $100 - $500 cards which seems to be the range of most cards in this auction. Not the exceptional few.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:44 PM
Dan Bretta

Wow...just wow. What are two young guys with accounting degrees doing getting into the baseball card business when their parents are known as two of the most notorious scammers in hobby history?

Starting off by selling what appears to be a NM-M Mantle in RAW form???

If they were honestly trying to prove they are not chips off the old block then all of those high end looking cards would be encapsulated or described as altered.

No way is this business on the up and up.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hi Leon,

What you are saying is exactly what we have done (see Lot #'s 7, 8, 26, 32, 45, 52, etc.) So if I'm reading this correctly what you are saying is that we should say that all of our ungraded cards are altered even though they measure correctly and show no signs of alteration? I'm a little confused.

Daniel
Hi Daniel
Peter Sp.aeth (hi Peter) has better explained my thoughts than I apparently could. If you read his last several posts you will know how I feel too. I told you it wasn't going to be easy. Good luck.

Last edited by Leon; 03-06-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
If I was a consignor for a group of $100 - $500 cards, I would not want to spend roughly $25 per card for grading which I probably wouldn't recoup with higher sales. And that's on top of waiting another 4 months to get paid since that's how long it is taking to get back cards from PSA.
And yet countless dealers find it profitable to grade their cards in this range.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:46 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Personally I think this is all worthless banter. They REALLY don’t care what a small percentage of the hobby says or does
about their new auction site. They knew coming on here that very few if any would ever participate in the auction.

Heck why would they care, battlefield made all their money hoping a few people would not notice the Photoshop. If the
buyer did and left a negative, just relist it along with 100 $5 cards….POOF 99% feedback, just like magic!!

Now with an auction site they have the operating and maintenance expense but don’t pay eBay fees plus received
buyer/seller(if any) fees. Remember, this is the third way they are trying to “sell” cards in the last six months. Once again,
there are a lot of happy people who bought from them off eBay so we just don’t matter.

Now I hope I’m wrong and you are really trying to right the wrongs…but you’re doing a REALLY terrible job at it.
Listing any of battlefield/war_eagle inventory should never happen. Also, any card of significant value should be graded
and a description of “appears” should never be used PERIOD

I have bought ’57 Topps commons from battlefield with good results. I also bought ’55 Topps were the solid colors were
ALL PHOTOSHOPPED. I even bought a graded card from War_Eagle and was very happy.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:31 PM

Is it just me or don't you think the Alabama Attorney General's Office and the Alabama Better Business Bureau should be alerted about this new auction house?

That way if (when?) problems arise about cards being sold that aren't as described the authorities will already have a heads up in knowing about what is going on?

Just a thought,

David Smith
Old 03-06-2018, 09:59 PM
Scott Russell

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-06-2018, 10:01 PM
Cory

I’m all for giving everyone a fair chance based on their own actions. Now with that said, based on this new auction house that wants to develop Long-term relationships.....why not grade the higher valued cards before the auction? I have not seen a reasonable reply to this question. Does ANYONE want to consign with this auction house who is not tying to maximize the value of the cards the auction?

If the cards of meaningful value are professionally graded thier provenance is less pronounced. Without answering why they aren’t graded, it appears the main reason is not a long-term relationship (which will not work without consignors) but rather a quick auction or two to help out their folks monetize the inventory for them since they do not have a venue to do it themselves. This is the easiest and quickest way to do it even if some money is left on the table. Getting them graded is more work and since they are just helping their folks out, no need to do that extra work that All the reputable AHs would do. That just makes sense to help their folks out since they aren’t able to themselves now.

I’m thrilled if I’m wrong, but that just seems like logical motivation to me.

Cory Weiser
Old 03-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

If you truly expect your 52 Jackie to 7, making it a 7K card, then you would do the work -- IMO.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Scott: I haven’t participated in your auctions, but my understanding is that you’ve established a nice alternative to the traditional big AHs. My guess is that you have some experience that could be valuable to these guys. If these guys are truly trying to turn things around and run a clean operation, I’m sure they would appreciate your insight more than your popcorn memes.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 03-06-2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Removed the meme
Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Is it just me or don't you think the Alabama Attorney General's Office and the Alabama Better Business Bureau should be alerted about this new auction house?

That way if (when?) problems arise about cards being sold that aren't as described the authorities will already have a heads up in knowing about what is going on?

Just a thought,

David Smith
Are you kidding me? Contact the Attorney Generals Office because someone's parents are bad? While you are at it you should call my local AA chapter and let them know that I might be a problem since my Dad is an alcoholic.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:58 PM
Jay Cee

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7197.JPG (52.6 KB, 445 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:15 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Contact the Attorney Generals Office because someone's parents are bad? While you are at it you should call my local AA chapter and let them know that I might be a problem since my Dad is an alcoholic.
You really believe these guys are just innocent bystanders? I suggest reading through some of the points others have brought up in this thread. These guys have done nothing to convince me they're not a part of the scam. Actions speak louder than words.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:11 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I registered and put in a bid. If I win I will post in this thread how the transaction went down.

I figure we can't hold what someones parent(s) done against them. My parents make theirs look like Mother Teresa. Not that long ago my dad broke into my house and stole a title to a car I own(ed). He had my step mom who worked in the treasurers office process the stolen forged title and then sold my car.
Wow Ben... and I thought my dad was a douche. That's horrible, and sorry to hear that. You seem like a good man from our few conversations.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:34 AM
Mike

I suggest looking at Post #44 of this War-Eagle thread. Leon provides links to 3 Mantles auctioned in REA. They were in SGC A slabs. Leon also provides 3 eBay links where War-Eagle is selling the same three years as NM. Now look at the Mantles in the Candiman Auction. Draw your own conclusions.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=war_eagle
Old 03-07-2018, 04:57 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
The group sub was entered in Nov 11th....we are still waiting as of March 6th.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:53 AM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

Does anyone here want to admit that they are one of the fifteen individuals consigning to Candiman Auctions? Or possibly someone just knows anyone that is consigning?

I doubt it.

As it appears to me, this is just a rebranding of the family business model as laid out lucidly by numerous members in this thread.

Frank Horv@th

CAMNITZ HAH BACK RUN PROJECT:

T206 Camnitz (HAH) AB 460 / SC Fact 25 and OP / EPDG (Upgrade Needed)

T206 Magee Portrait
T206 Walsh
T206 Joss Portrait
T206 Red Cobb
T206 Shag
T206 E Collins
Old 03-07-2018, 07:37 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post

Just a thought,

David Smith
David thank you for the morning laugh. The BBB is a joke and telling your mom would do just as much good. The BBB has no power to do anything to anybody. All they can do is give you a grade(LOL) on their worthless web site.

If you really are that concerned please do call both places and report back with what they tell you.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:47 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

And all the state can do is not renew their auctioneers license if people complain. Also, I'd bet if they use a PO box, and don't list their physical address, they can't be sued

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
And all the state can do is not renew their auctioneers license if people complain. Also, I'd bet if they use a PO box, and don't list their physical address, they can't be sued
Ted I never knew that, now I know why so many businesses use a PO box instead of their physical address.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:13 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I'm not an attorney, but a PO box should not exclude someone from being sued. They would still need to have business licenses and permit filed with the state/city. Finding a physical address for them is also not hard either...took less than 2 minutes (edited out actual address for privacy purposes as it is a residence).

Candiman Auctions
1** S******* Dr
Dothan, AL 36303
(334) 790-2145
info@candimanauctions.com
Owners: Daniel Battles & Justin Battles
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I'm not an attorney, but a PO box should not exclude someone from being sued. They would still need to have business licenses and permit filed with the state/city. Finding a physical address for them is also not hard either...took less than 2 minutes (edited out actual address for privacy purposes as it is a residence).

Candiman Auctions
1** S******* Dr
Dothan, AL 36303
(334) 790-2145
info@candimanauctions.com
Owners: Daniel Battles & Justin Battles

Hartford is about 20 miles from Dothan.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The group sub was entered in Nov 11th....we are still waiting as of March 6th.
My 4-months estimate was based on using the 10-day service

I sent out a package from their Jan Special and it still isn't logged in yet
Old 03-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
My 4-months estimate was based on using the 10-day service

I sent out a package from their Jan Special and it still isn't logged in yet
Damn...that's sad....sounds like they need to hire some help....surely, they can open up the purse springs and pay an enticing wage....sounds like they are overwhelmed with work with not enough employees to handle it.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 03-07-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Scott: I haven’t participated in your auctions, but my understanding is that you’ve established a nice alternative to the traditional big AHs. My guess is that you have some experience that could be valuable to these guys. If these guys are truly trying to turn things around and run a clean operation, I’m sure they would appreciate your insight more than your popcorn memes.
Rest assured if someone reached out to me I would be glad to share my thoughts. As it is I was just trying to add a little humor to a thread that is difficult at best.

There's really no simple fix for these guys other than time. Frankly I think what will serve them best is actually having subsequent auctions as right now I imagine this still looks like a Battlefield fire sale to a lot of our members. Their protestations of wanting to establish long term relationships don't mean much until they've actually demonstrated that they are going to be around for the long haul. That along with the other issues mentioned are going to create a suspicion that's nearly impossible to counter until some history that runs counter to that which Battlefield has created is established.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-07-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Rest assured if someone reached out to me I would be glad to share my thoughts. As it is I was just trying to add a little humor to a thread that is difficult at best.

There's really no simple fix for these guys other than time. Frankly I think what will serve them best is actually having subsequent auctions as right now I imagine this still looks like a Battlefield fire sale to a lot of our members. Their protestations of wanting to establish long term relationships don't mean much until they've actually demonstrated that they are going to be around for the long haul. That along with the other issues mentioned are going to create a suspicion that's nearly impossible to until some history that runs counter to that which Battlefield has created is established.
All they have to do is offer graded cards. Next to none of the issues raised by this thread would exist had they done so. IMO, the choice not to do so -- combined with the refusal to offer any recourse if your opinion or a TPG's opinion is different than their self-serving one -- is telling.

If all those raw cards work out, then great, next time (ex post) we'll know better. But ex ante, too many red flags for me.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-07-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Damn...that's sad....sounds like they need to hire some help....surely, they can open up the purse springs and pay an enticing wage....sounds like they are overwhelmed with work with not enough employees to handle it.
They have admitted as much and I assume it got bad before they reacted. That's not a criticism since I understand any company doesn't want to go through the expensive hiring and training process for a short-term blip. But in hindsight they would probably agree they were slow to react. A huge surge in business is a problem many companies would love to have.

I'm certain that the hiring and training process is more detailed at PSA since they really need to be careful on who they hire. So, in that respect, I can add some patience knowing they aren't throwing temps at the problem.

Just to clarify, it was the Jan 2018 special.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:21 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
All they have to do is offer graded cards
Peter, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what do you really want here? I've read your posts before in other threads how some dealers hide behind the TPG's assigned grade when a card is either altered or trimmed, but here you're asking why doesn't the OP grade his cards? So, if he grades them and they grade numerically, he's off the hook? You'll let it go? Nothing matters but the grade?

So if the OP has a card and it grades numerically, but it's really altered or trimmed, does it relinquish him of liability? I already know your answer. Of course it doesn't. So if you're going to hold him accountable either way - whether the card is graded or not - then why are you asking that he grades them? That my main question to you. Sounds to me like you just want to complain.

My point is this. Everybody has read the thread. We all have the information to base our opinions and we can all choose whether to bid or not to bid. As for me, I'll choose not to bid at this point, but my opinion may change in future auctions based on other bidders feedback. I just don't understand why you're beating a dead horse at this point?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

David, TPG is far from perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than buying raw from Battlefield's inventory. And at least theoretically if a TPG grades an altered card in error there is recourse. There is NONE here if a card from Battlefield that these guys with no known hobby credentials grade NM MT is in fact EX. And sorry I am not going to put my faith in a scan from relatives of the master of the photoshopped scan.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-07-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Hi Pete,

I understand that concern. We are going to place a much bigger emphasis on adding more graded cards for our next auction and work with consignors to get the more high end raw cards graded prior to the auction. With that being said, I don't see how a card that looks NM, measures correctly, has no creases, good centering, and minimal corner wear could possibly grade VG. We have posted high quality images of all lots in the auction. Those should give any potential bidders a good idea of the estimated grade. I sincerely hope that the winners of our raw cards get great deals and are rewarded with nice grades when the cards are submitted for grading. I think that will go a long way to proving that we are here for the right reasons. As I have said we are looking to develop long-term business relationships with the great people of this community.

Thanks,

Daniel
Really nice looking cards are sometimes VG technically. And it can be some silly thing you don't notice, or something trivial.

Like this one

What makes it VG is as far as I can tell, the tiny paper inclusion that left the white dot in the background. (Not paper loss, something trapped inside the paper when it was made makes that bit stick out and the ink rubbed off. If it was in the white border, who knows, maybe vg-ex or ex?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:57 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
David, TPG is far from perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than buying raw from Battlefield's inventory. And at least theoretically if a TPG grades an altered card in error there is recourse. There is NONE here if a card from Battlefield that these guys with no known hobby credentials grade NM MT is in fact EX. And sorry I am not going to put my faith in a scan from relatives of the master of the photoshopped scan.
I understand. But I think the OP has been honest and upfront at this point. If he does things the way Battlefield did, he won't last long. Likewise, if he runs a clean auction, his business will succeed.

Also, I don't think it's fair to judge them based on their relatives past wrong doings. Look at Ben. That took a lot of courage to say that publically about his dad. But do you not deal with Ben just because of his dad? I have an uncle the same way. Do you want to deal with me too?

I understand being leery. I am too. That's why I said I was just going to sit back for a while and just observe the auctions. But to keep talking about it at this point isn't productive. You're not going to accomplish anything.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Default Candiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
I suggest looking at Post #44 of this War-Eagle thread. Leon provides links to 3 Mantles auctioned in REA. They were in SGC A slabs. Leon also provides 3 eBay links where War-Eagle is selling the same three years as NM. Now look at the Mantles in the Candiman Auction. Draw your own conclusions.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=war_eagle

Could you explain this?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I understand. But I think the OP has been honest and upfront at this point. If he does things the way Battlefield did, he won't last long. Likewise, if he runs a clean auction, his business will succeed.

Also, I don't think it's fair to judge them based on their relatives past wrong doings. Look at Ben. That took a lot of courage to say that publically about his dad. But do you not deal with Ben just because of his dad? I have an uncle the same way. Do you want to deal with me too?

I understand being leery. I am too. That's why I said I was just going to sit back for a while and just observe the auctions. But to keep talking about it at this point isn't productive. You're not going to accomplish anything.
I haven't judged them, David. It's just a red flag, which to my mind they haven't dispelled. And after all, despite trashing Battlefield, they took all their inventory. Seems a bit inconsistent, to me. Not the most persuasive way to put distance between them?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-07-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
I see that you have two more auctions scheduled. Will these auctions also have cards from battlefield?

James
Hi James,

The plan is to have an auction every 6 weeks or so. We are already working on the next auction. As I said in a previous post yesterday we are going to try and feature more graded cards in our future auctions. There will still be raw cards but the focus will definitely be to add more graded items.

This first auction will be the only auction that includes cards from Battlefield. Everything they consigned to us is in this auction and I believe anything else they had has already been sold locally.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Thanks for the reply Daniel. I do not expect you to keep taking the time to respond to each of us who make an inquiry but I would challenge that the images you are using are high quality. They are actually pretty small making it impossible for a buyer to determine for themselves if your assessment is accurate. I must have missed the lots in which you disclose flaws. I seemed to see a great deal of your descriptions simply describing the player or the set the card came from with only one line about the card appearing to be in specific condition.

I did state that all houses sell raw cards but not all houses are selling cards that belong to family members who defrauded and misrepresented the product they were selling.

So you are affirming that you would not accept a return on a card that came back from PSA or SGC as EX that you described as appearing NM-MT?

Thanks,
Greg
Hi Greg,

Our policy is in line with all other auction houses. Grading is subjective and and no auction house can guarantee that their grades will line up exactly with a TPG. We have posted clear images of all of the items in the auction and tried to point out any relevant flaws. If you look at some of the cards that are Poor to EX you will see where we pointed out creasing, wax staining, paper loss, etc. Obviously anything EX-MT or higher wouldn't have these flaws which is why the descriptions are shorter.

As I have said previously (and added to the Auction Rules on the website), if any card that we haven't described as altered is sent in for grading and comes back as such we will encourage the buyer to return the card to us for a full refund.

Thanks,

Daniel