NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 PM

Default e94 Close Candy Overprints

Hello:

I have sold and traded a few of these lately. I was wondering if there was a scarcity list in regards to the different overprints? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Robert A

Blomes....easiest.

Rest of them.....hardest.

I feel like maybe I've seen more "oh you fan" overprints than the others besides Blomes, but maybe not.

By the way, since there's more Blomes overprints than the rest of them I think we should call them E94 Blomes rather than E94 Close.

Rob
Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Tom Boblitt

Do we know for sure that Blomes was related at all to George Close Company? I mean, the script/writing/etc on the Blomes back is entirely different than the others and it doesn't mention George Close while all other (9) backs do mention George Close.....
Old 12-09-2009, 06:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default maybe not quite Rob :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
Blomes....easiest.

Rest of them.....hardest.

I feel like maybe I've seen more "oh you fan" overprints than the others besides Blomes, but maybe not.

By the way, since there's more Blomes overprints than the rest of them I think we should call them E94 Blomes rather than E94 Close.

Rob
Blomes is 5x-7x more common than the rest. There is 1 known, real, Oh You Fan overprint and one fake one. Rob is correct on the rest...they are equally tough. Some people think reprints are easily made and abundant. They aren't. Hope this helps. For the record I have spoke to Rob Lifson, and many other 30yr+ veterans and all of them say they had seen them way back in the day, when they were worth only a few dollars. They have been around forever. Hope this helps. Here is the known checklist, although this is one of my million showings of these, it is apropos...

Old 12-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default one more tidbit

One more tidibit. I might even call E94 as Burdick did and classify them as Star Baseball Players. That way we get out of having to make a decision on what Company to call them. Most folks in the hobby call them Close Candy cards....that or Blomes is correct, imo. Very debatable discussion and one I enjoy .

Tom- I have never been able make any connection between Blomes and Close candy, except some of the caligraphy looks a bit similar, however many writings back in early 1900's had the same ornateness. I have advertising on both sides too, many more on the Close Candy side but examples of both nonetheless.

Last edited by Leon; 12-09-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Tom Boblitt

I answered my own question by seeing that Blomes Chocloates Baltimore pouch you have on your personal site. So it appears that Blomes Chocolates took the E94 stock and just did their own overprints on the backs for issue in Baltimore I guess.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
I answered my own question by seeing that Blomes Chocloates Baltimore pouch you have on your personal site. So it appears that Blomes Chocolates took the E94 stock and just did their own overprints on the backs for issue in Baltimore I guess.
Yes, that is what it looks like to me. Here is a Blomes ad piece I just picked up and the wrapper you speak of....and a few more for good luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg po1903blomesadvertisement.jpg (70.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg pcandywrapperblomesbag.jpg (46.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg powrapper1910sclosex2.jpg (71.6 KB, 153 views)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Tom Boblitt

Still would be nice to find something with the script Blomes like the overprint on the back of the card to completely tie it in together.....
Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Robert A

We need to one day find out how these anonymous sets worked.

If anything, I think the Blomes overprint is really important in that it confirms that the "E94" cards are not only a George Close issue.

Were they just generic cards produced by X and then given to different companies (blomes, close)? I'm not sure if E94s were ever placed in candy boxes. I don't see a lot of candy stains on this issue like we do with philadelphia caramels. They could've just been handed out at stores when someone bought the candy.

Could retailers buy 100 of them and then stamp (E98 old put) their logo on them?

Some E98s have candy stains and some don't. But, that could just mean that some were exposed to hotter weather or whatever.

Anyways, there's a real possibility that E101, E98, E94, etc. type issues were just a pool of cards that were sold to different companies or retailers and the advertisements were not printed at the factory so that they could be used for several different products.

I know some folks say that E94 overprints were applied at the factory, but I don't see anything that suggests that.

Rob

Last edited by caramelcard; 12-09-2009 at 01:58 PM.