NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Michael I.

Default Honus Wagner cut

Any thoughts on this recent auction sale as well? Either not authentic or someone got a great deal. 1944 is date on item.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagner.jpg (72.6 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by w7imel; 09-10-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:05 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

While every once in a while you get a great deal, my axiom is if it's too good to be true, it probably is not true.
Looks very slow and deliberate.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

I, on the other hand, think it looks like his signature, but there is something funny about it - like it is stamped.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:25 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Looks like a stamp to me.

Tom C
Old 09-10-2014, 04:31 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Don't get me wrong, I do think it looks very much like his sig, but there is something that looks weird. That slow deliberate appearance could definitely be there if it were a stamp.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Michael I.

I can see that now, looks like a stamp to me as well the more I look at it. No ink flow. IMO. Again nowhere near being an expert just enjoy the hobby and learning.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Brendan Mullen

I'm no expert whatsoever, but I have a 1918 Wagner signature on a check. His signature changed a lot throughout the years. And that is NOT a 1944 signature. I could be totally wrong but just my two cents. That looks like a 1918 signature.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
I'm no expert whatsoever, but I have a 1918 Wagner signature on a check. His signature changed a lot throughout the years. And that is NOT a 1944 signature. I could be totally wrong but just my two cents. That looks like a 1918 signature.
That's very interesting. I once owned a Wagner Christmas card to another player, that had a very ornate signature like this one. I was surprised that it wasn't all crooked like his normal 1940's signatures. But I don't remember thinking that it looked like a stamp - I'll try to find the scan.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Joel

I don't see any overlapping of ink.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

There's an overlap at the H
Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Just random thoughts on this:
1. Do we have knowledge of Wagner using a stamp at any time?
2. Does this look like a signature generated when Wagner was 70 years old ?
3. If this is a stamp why would this item be stamped and not signed if it is a receipt? If presented to him in person why stamp it? If this is a forged signature with a stamp the forger went to a lot of trouble to have a stamp made , and for what purpose other than to create more forgeries, yet I can find no mention anywhere dealing with Wagner forgeries being a stamped type of forgery.
4. There are areas of variable ink density, as well as area of starts and stops of ink on some of the letters on the signature. Also areas of overlap seem to be present on the signature.
5. I do not know Wagner's signature well enough to authenticate or offer an opinion. I know his variations and certainly this seems to follow a variation pattern.
Maybe this guy got a good deal and that is the truth of it, or maybe he got a stamp . I believe without seeing the piece in person and examining in person and up close this could be a hard one to decide on in my opinion.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I'm not a signature expert but am a prints historian and it is a stamp. Stamps have a tell tale dark edge/rim around the edges of the printed graphics because the pressure of the stamp against the paper presses the excess ink to the edges. You can see the thin, uniform rim around in the image. Real handwriting can of course produce different levels of ink at different places including occasional dark edges, but the rim here is uniform an in many of the areas here where handwriting would overlap the rim only follows along the outside-- as with a rubber stamp.

I was an art historian for a British academic encyclopedia and am the author of the encyclopedia's entry on that form of printing.

Last edited by drcy; 09-11-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:35 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I'm not a signature expert but am a prints historian and it is a stamp. Stamps have a tell tale dark edge/rim around the edges of the printed graphics because the pressure of the stamp against the paper presses the excess ink to the edges. You can see the thin, uniform rim around in the image. Real handwriting can of course produce different levels of ink at different places including occasional dark edges, but the rim here is uniform an in many of the areas here where handwriting would overlap the rim only follows along the outside-- as with a rubber stamp.

I was an art historian for a British academic encyclopedia and am the author of the encyclopedia's entry on that form of printing.

In summary......

It's a stamp.

Tom C
Old 09-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Belltown Vintage

I'm glad you all agreed with me - you all get A's.

I feel confident about assigning your grades, mainly because I tried to stay in a Holiday Inn Express once. I was there with an Art Historian who allowed me to handle the check-in alone, as he wanted me to see how it felt to be an Art Historian. I failed to get a room. But thanks David, for letting me try.

Last edited by Runscott; 09-11-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
And my dad can beat up your dad.

Sorry David. I could not resist. I enjoyed our conversations about photography at The National. I have sniffed most of my new acquisitions since then.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 09-11-2014, 11:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I didn't realize that last sentence would cause such an uproar. I take it back.

To be honest, as I'm not a regular autograph section poster, I figured many of the autograph folks here didn't know who I was so was just pointing out that identifying printing processes is my area. As I am no autograph expert, I almost never get to point out a fake in this section. If it was real handwriting and not a stamp, I would have had no opinion on the authenticity.

Last edited by drcy; 09-11-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

David,

No uproar. Just having a bit of fun. It wasn't pretentious or anything like that. I think it is good that you dropped in some qualifying information. As you stated, you do not post on the autograph side so many may not know your multiple fields of expertise. Many of the members have knowledge or qualifications that are not evident unless they state them. We are all a voice in this world.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 09-12-2014, 01:22 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Don't worry, I took the posts as in jest.

Last edited by drcy; 09-12-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Don't worry, I took the posts as in jest.
My post was serious - did I imagine all that?

Have you already forgotten Toledo and it's poisonous water?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 AM

I don't think its a stamp personally, but just a forgery made to look real by putting it on the bottom of a worthless receipt. There are spots where the ink has pooled and settled around the edges and no spotting from the stamper. Just my opinion.