NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2018, 08:13 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post

To Larry's point about limited supply due to collectors keeping the cards, I believe that is at play too. So you combine the increased demand with a more limited supply, one doesn't need to be an economist to predict what that will do to price.
If more collectors are keeping their cards how come there are more auction houses than ever, ebay sales of prewar are brisk and there are other outlets (facebook etc.) that also sell tons of pre-war cards?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-18-2018, 08:15 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
If more collectors are keeping their cards how come there are more auction houses than ever, ebay sales of prewar are brisk and there are other outlets (facebook etc.) that also sell tons of pre-war cards?
I think the reality is that more people are flipping cards today than ever before
Old 12-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

The explanations I have heard could account for a gradual price rise over time, but not, in my mind, for a sudden meteoric one. People didn't just wake up one night of a PWCC auction to the investment possibilities of nice mid grade T206s, IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-18-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:21 AM
D P M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I think the reality is that more people are flipping cards today than ever before
This is a fact. Especially noticeable on facebook razz groups. (raffle groups where you buy a spot for a chance to win a card)

I see countless cards sell on ebay for more than a straight sale could bring normally and put up in these groups for 20% more and they sell quickly.

This is one of the reasons (besides the legality issue of such raffles) that we do not allow them in our pre war fb group.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Ask collectors who have been buying fine antique furniture over the years how they are doing with their investment. They will all tell you the same thing: the market is dead and they will never get their money out of their collections.
Is this the furniture BST section?

I have a fine antique square table suitable for playing cards, sorting cards or playing tabletop baseball sim games. It was crafted in 1830 and is made of real wood, not particle board. Photos available upon request. Serious offers only. If you are in need of firewood, kindly do not respond.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:34 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerd33 View Post
This is a fact. Especially noticeable on facebook razz groups. (raffle groups where you buy a spot for a chance to win a card)

I see countless cards sell on ebay for more than a straight sale could bring normally and put up in these groups for 20% more and they sell quickly.

This is one of the reasons (besides the legality issue of such raffles) that we do not allow them in our pre war fb group.
And this is a similar mentality I saw on many stock message boards leading up to the recent crash...people getting in because it seemed like a sure thing...so easy to buy because everything just keeps going up...and look where we are now. not to say this will happen to most caards...just citing a similar example.

Last edited by ullmandds; 12-18-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Bitcoin!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:44 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The explanations I have heard could account for a gradual price rise over time, but not, in my mind, for a sudden meteoric one. People didn't just wake up one night of a PWCC auction to the investment possibilities of nice mid grade T206s, IMO.

Peter, is this sudden meteoric rise the sale of one PSA 5 T206 Young, or are you referring to a number of comparable transactions? If the former, maybe the explanation is the simplest -- two collectors were chasing that card, had a lot of money, really liked it, and didn't want to wait for another comparable 5 to come along. I'm not saying this is the explanation, only that there is limited information one can derive from a single transaction.

That said, because IMO the price makes sense based on the prices of 8's combined with logical explanations of supply and demand, even though the increase might have happened more quickly than what one is accustomed to seeing, I am hesitant to describe the forces at play anything other than prudent assessment of value. If though the meteoric rise takes the price to a level that seems totally whacked out compared to prices of 8's (e.g., $50k), then I would have more cause to suspect something other than ordinary market forces at play.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Corey this thread was a response to maybe 3 or 4 seemingly way out of line prices in a recent PWCC auction, not any trend.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Is this the furniture BST section?

I have a fine antique square table suitable for playing cards, sorting cards or playing tabletop baseball sim games. It was crafted in 1830 and is made of real wood, not particle board. Photos available upon request. Serious offers only. If you are in need of firewood, kindly do not respond.
I have a beautiful 1890's oak roll top desk. I bought it in 1988 for $2200, and I was lucky to get it. Back then there were a hundred antique stores in my neighborhood (there are maybe two left), and I had to get on a lot of waiting lists and be really aggressive to land it. It was my holy grail, and I still use it today. I imagined how much it would be worth as the years passed.

Well it's thirty years later, and I'm thinking of selling it. Anyone care to bail me out at cost? How about a discount below my cost? How about I throw in the cost of your rental van if you are willing to come and pick it up?

That is the state of the antique roll top desk market.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Ask collectors who have been buying fine antique furniture over the years how they are doing with their investment. They will all tell you the same thing: the market is dead and they will never get their money out of their collections.
I've heard the same thing about model trains. They were really hot when I was young (so I'm told), but today there is almost no interest in them. Collectors can't come close to getting their money back when they sell.

Last edited by Sean; 12-18-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I've heard the same thing about model trains. They were really hot when I was young (so I'm told), but today there almost no interest in them. Collectors can't come close to getting their money back when they sell.
I don't believe the new generation cares at all about antiques. Why spend a lot of money on an antique when you can go to Ikea and buy something brand new for a whole lot less? That's why I am a little bearish on the long time future of the baseball card hobby. Current collectors are still avid buyers and will probably remain so. But the next generation, I'm not so sure. Time will tell.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:26 AM

Interesting point about the future of collecting...I wonder what the average age of a collector on net 54 is? I'm 40, would be cool to see someone put up a poll...
Old 12-19-2018, 04:59 AM

+1. Whoever is savy enough to do it, how about a poll asking how old people on the board are. I am 44.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 AM
pete ullman

Ask archive this was done recently
Old 12-19-2018, 05:20 AM
pete ullman

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...light=poll+age
Old 12-19-2018, 05:45 AM

Thanks Pete. I revived the thread, which is from 2014, so it’s “old man recently” , to which I can totally relate.

It’s good/comforting to see that the vast majority of the collectors (in 2014) range from 30’s to 50’s. That means we likely have at least another 20-30 years of interest before baseball cards are given up for Fortnite skins and Xbox games by the youngins of today
Old 12-19-2018, 06:14 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Thanks Pete. I revived the thread, which is from 2014, so it’s “old man recently” , to which I can totally relate.

It’s good/comforting to see that the vast majority of the collectors (in 2014) range from 30’s to 50’s. That means we likely have at least another 20-30 years of interest before baseball cards are given up for Fortnite skins and Xbox games by the youngins of today
haha...feels like yesterday!
Old 12-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

Well, I learned something new today: "old man recently."
Old 12-19-2018, 02:24 PM

Sean, as I get older, two years ago feels like yesterday, and 10 years ago feels like 2 months ago. Sucks getting older. The worst was when 80's bands started showing up on "Classic Rock" stations.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:37 PM

Thanks Pete!