NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Best Thread of 2018

With the year ending ...... hard for me to guess yet (I like the T206 forgery thread).....what thread has been the best/most memorable of 2018???

tough one here...
Old 12-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Love having fake signed T206's
Old 12-18-2018, 10:54 AM

Default I'm

sorry I know that sucks! thank God we have the super sleuths here on 54....

I hope this helps prevent future fraud
Old 12-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Love having fake signed T206's

Yup, I think that's the winner. And it isn't over. As more and more card issues are proven affected, that might be the one that changes autograph collecting as a whole.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:57 AM
pete ullman

agreed...gotta be that thread...question is...will we ever find out who the guilty party(parties) are...or will this just disappear as has usually happened in the past when scandalous behavior is proven?
Old 12-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Rhett Yeakley

I think it is sad that the “best thread” of the past year would be the signed T206 scandal.

Not a thread where new information about the cards we care about or a new set being discovered but a thread about some a**hole forging cards.

Also, enough with the cloak and dagger crap, who is doing this. I see NO benefit in keeping the entire hobby in suspense, there could be other fraud that has been perpetrated by the guilty party that is still being passed down the line by other collectors/dealers. If I have done business with the guilty party I want to know that. The suspense reeks of self-importance by those “in the know”

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
agreed...gotta be that thread...question is...will we ever find out who the guilty party(parties) are...or will this just disappear as has usually happened in the past when scandalous behavior is proven?
I really hope a name is released by someone. While I understand investigations are ongoing, it would also be nice to have that info public, to prevent further purchasing, selling, and allow everyone to review their own collections accordingly
Old 12-18-2018, 11:34 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I think it is sad that the “best thread” of the past year would be the signed T206 scandal.

Not a thread where new information about the cards we care about or a new set being discovered but a thread about some a**hole forging cards.

Also, enough with the cloak and dagger crap, who is doing this. I see NO benefit in keeping the entire hobby in suspense, there could be other fraud that has been perpetrated by the guilty party that is still being passed down the line by other collectors/dealers. If I have done business with the guilty party I want to know that. The suspense reeks of self-importance by those “in the know”
agreed!
Old 12-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Default Whats your monster number??

maybe???

always popular...

or one of Teds

show us your......ect
Old 12-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Sean Costello

It has to be the T206 autograph fraud thread.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:44 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
It has to be the T206 autograph fraud thread.
That's probably the most important thread but my favorite was the Top 5 pieces thread.

I loved opening that thread and seeing all the great, diverse stuff people collect.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Dave_Berg

deleted due to error

Last edited by Stonepony; 12-18-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:16 PM
Larry

Quote:

Agree completely!

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 12-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't think it's fair to Leon to say he is being "self-important." He explained his reasoning, apparently he was asked by law enforcement not to post the name.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:58 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I don't think it's fair to Leon to say he is being "self-important." He explained his reasoning, apparently he was asked by law enforcement not to post the name.
Where did I mention Leon? There is more than one person “in the know” as many of Auction houses have knowledge of the situation, as do several collectors on this forum. I saw what Leon said and I respect his decision not to mention names as he was asked not to, that being said I have a hard time understanding why it must be kept a secret. I see more being gained by letting people know the suspected individual’s name as I am sure there are other victims that may have no idea they are victims.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Where did I mention Leon? There is more than one person “in the know” as many of Auction houses have knowledge of the situation, as do several collectors on this forum. I saw what Leon said and I respect his decision not to mention names as he was asked not to, that being said I have a hard time understanding why it must be kept a secret. I see more being gained by letting people know the suspected individual’s name as I am sure there are other victims that may have no idea they are victims.
I assume the reason others have not named the name is the same as Leon's, or perhaps fear of getting entangled in a lawsuit, why do you attribute it to self-importance?

I do agree with the bigger point though, I don't see what's accomplished by keeping it under wraps at this point.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-18-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:06 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I think the Recent Pick Up threads are some of the best threads throughout the year.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-18-2018, 06:08 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I think "Best" is a tricky term to define.

The T206 thread is arguably the most important thread. With any luck, the main outcome of the thread is that a criminal gets locked away and prevented to doing further harm. Additionally, I hope it might lead to a better understanding of how the TPAs should be used and what their strength's and weaknesses are. Perhaps it will lead to better quality control from the TPAs as well.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-18-2018, 06:41 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I assume the reason others have not named the name is the same as Leon's, or perhaps fear of getting entangled in a lawsuit, why do you attribute it to self-importance?

I do agree with the bigger point though, I don't see what's accomplished by keeping it under wraps at this point.
There are a lot of people that like to be in the crowd that knows info/people that others don’t and it makes them feel important or more relevant. Fairly common in all walks of life. There have been some on that other thread that have implied that they have info that others will find interesting but of course they will “wait” until the info comes out.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:06 PM

Well technically this thread started in 2013....but Jeff's post of Let's see some postcards are still going strong into 2018 and is one of the most eye pleasing threads I have seen since I've been a member.

Ricky Y
Old 12-19-2018, 02:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hey Rhett
I almost always agree with you on these kinds of matters. I know your comment wasn't necessarily directed at me but others who know the id info also.
As I said in my last post about the subject, in the forger thread today, if someone has a situation where they need to know the info, I am not opposed to giving it out privately. I have already done it once today. And several times in the past I am only trying to help those with skin in the game and do what I believe the authorities said they prefer, as of now.
I have asked those who I gave the info to, to not make it public because of the reasons stated.
As far as being self important, I can't speak for others but just do what I think is the right thing to do in these instances. I am wrong many times. But I can give a reason why I do something, each time.

Back to topic, I think the forger thread might be the most informative one. I am not sure what the best one is but seeing the Fans Cigarette pack for the first time was petty cool. Way to go Jon, on that one.

And Season's Greetings to all!!

Quote:
There are a lot of people that like to be in the crowd that knows info/people that others don’t and it makes them feel important or more relevant. Fairly common in all walks of life. There have been some on that other thread that have implied that they have info that others will find interesting but of course they will “wait” until the info comes out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emil.jpg (74.2 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Leon; 12-19-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:43 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey Rhett
I almost always agree with you on these kinds of matters. I know your comment wasn't necessarily directed at me but others who know the id info also.
As I said in my last post about the subject, in the forger thread today, if someone has a situation where they need to know the info, I am not opposed to giving it out privately. I have already done it once today. And several times in the past I am only trying to help those with skin in the game and do what I believe the authorities said they prefer, as of now.
I have asked those who I gave the info to, to not make it public because of the reasons stated.
As far as being self important, I can't speak for others but just do what I think is the right thing to do in these instances. I am wrong many times. But I can give a reason why I do something, each time.

Back to topic, I think the forger thread might be the most informative one. I am not sure what the best one is but seeing the Fans Cigarette pack for the first time was petty cool. Way to go Jon, on that one.

And Season's Greetings to all!!

I agree with my contemporaries about the misuse of “sick” as a descriptive adjective for an item they drool over, but the item you have posted Leon is in fact truly Sick.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:34 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I agree with my contemporaries about the misuse of “sick” as a descriptive adjective for an item they drool over, but the item you have posted Leon is in fact truly Sick.
And that's coming from a doctor.