NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Tim Zwick

Default OT: Sad News About Ernie Harwell - Old Detroit Shows

Sad to hear this morning that Hall of Fame broadcasting legend and fellow collector Ernie Harwell has inoperable cancer in the bile duct area. He was always a strong supporting of the early 1970's conventions in Detroit and many times mentioned them on the Tiger broadcasts which helped lead to their rapid growth.

He donated virtually all of his collection to the Detroit Public Library over the years and it is available to view by appointment last I knew. He was and always will be the voice of baseball in Detroit. My thoughts & prayers are with him and his family.

Cards & Letters can be sent to:
Ernie Harwell........c/o S. Gary Spicer Sr........Attorney at Law........16845 Kercheval Ave.,Suite 5.........Grosse Pointe, MI 48230

Attached below are some scans of the program from the 1974 Detroit show in which Ernie and Tigers pitcher John Hiller were guests of honor. The convention history is great reading and please ignore the shameless plug for an ad from a wet behind the ears teenager. Sorry to say, but the 15 cent price list and free gifts are no longer available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.001.0 054.jpg (77.1 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg 1.001.0 055.jpg (75.5 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg 1.001.0 056.jpg (79.8 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg 1.001.0 057.jpg (79.8 KB, 341 views)
Old 09-04-2009, 01:28 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

As all of you who purchased the Old Judge book know, Ernie wrote the forward. He is a great student of the game and as fine a person as one could ever hope to meet. Lets all pray for a miracle.

Good Luck Ernie---Jay
Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Default One remarkable gentleman.

Tiger fans send there love and prayers to Ernie and his family. I read one of Ernie's book and he was a remarkable man and always had something good to say about everyone. I listened to Ernie for years and loved his broadcasts. He made the game come into your livingroom over the radio. HE STOOD THERE LIKE THE HOUSE BESIDE THE ROAD was just one of his great sayings he had. GOD BE WITH YOU!

Last edited by D. Broughman; 12-23-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Extremely sad news. I've been on the road and just now have an opportunity to chime in.

As Jay mentioned, we were extremely fortunate to receive Ernie's endorsement on our Old Judge book. Ernie is top notch, a true gentleman, with a love for the game 2nd to none. Detroit fans have enjoyed one of the games best broadcasters (in my biased opinion, the best) for 42 years.

My prayers will be with Ernie, Lulu, and family.

Here are some of the interesting tid-bits from his bio:

- Ernie began writing for "The Sporting News" in 1934! and has not stopped, still writing for the Detroit Free Press today. He has also authored several baseball books.
- Served 4 years in the Marines.
- Began broadcasting in 1948 logging a total of 55 years on radio and TV.
- The Brooklyn Dodgers traded their catcher Cliff Dapper for his services in 1948 (only announcer to be traded for a player). What a great team to cover in the late 40's.
- Mr. Harwell would find himself with New York by 1961 and would call Bobby Thomson's "shot heard around the world" on NBC television.
- Ernie would broadcast for the Tigers in 1960 and log 42 years with them.
- Among the many famous personalities Ernie has interviewed, Connie Mack, while still managing the Athletics. Who else can claim they interviewed someone from the Old Judge set?
- Ernie has an amazing baseball collection, largely donated to the Detroit Public Library including an interesting Old Judge collection containing a nice mix of cards including an extremely rare card of Flynn.

Below is a picture of Ernie sharing his collection back in 1959, a cabinet card of Connie Mack (one of Ernie's many interview subjects), and one of Ernie's rarest baseball cards (Old Judge of Flynn).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ernie Harwell 1959.jpg (42.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg small Mack N173.jpg (35.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg DPL - 164.5-1 Flynn.jpg (37.1 KB, 181 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Frank Wakefield

The man was passionate about his baseball. I wish him and his family well.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:01 PM

How can you not love someone of Ernie's magnitude who still frequented card shows as long as he was able? He accomplished so much, but I bet that Harwell would want to be remembered first and foremost as a lifelong fan. The man practically exudes class.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 09-07-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Barry Arnold

Default sad news

my prayers are with him and his family.

barry
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

My thoughts and prayers are certainly with him. He has always been one of the game's true assets, and a superb man.