NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Albert Bee

Default Question - would you buy an outted card ?

Question - with all these fake autog cards/ trimmed cards/ cards getting cleaned up/erased, etc...

Would you still buy them ?

I know I would..if it was a card I wanted ...and it was known that its not the guys real signature ,or somebody erased a mark,or whatever ..it would not matter to me at all .

I need a T 205 HOFer… the price is right..why not ?
Old 11-12-2019, 02:55 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

No
Old 11-12-2019, 02:58 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

There’s zero wrong with buying an altered card for an altered card price.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

If it were in an authentic holder sure.

Last edited by Goudey77; 11-12-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:09 PM

I would have no problem buying an altered card in an authentic holder. I would have no interest paying a premium for a numerically graded altered card.

Last edited by packs; 11-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:13 PM
John Wondowski

Sure!
Old 11-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Ben North

Its a yes and no for me. Yes I would buy any card I wanted no matter what was done to it. It would have to be priced accordingly and alterations disclosed.

The "no" comes from who is selling it. I have not bought from PWCC for many years because it was no secret how dirty they have been for a very long time. There are even members on this great forum I would not buy from because of their shady history.

We all have to do what is right for us. I do my best not to put a single dime in the pockets of known scammers.

Last edited by bnorth; 11-12-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Its a yes and no for me. Yes I would buy any card I wanted no matter what was done to it. It would have to be priced accordingly and alterations disclosed.

The "no" comes from who is selling it. I have not bought from PWCC for many years because it was no secret how dirty they have been for a very long time. There are even members on this great forum I would not buy from because of their shady history.

We all have to do what is right for us. I do my best not to put a single dime in the pockets of known scammers.
+1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-12-2019, 08:26 PM
Garth Guibord

I'm going to avoid EVERY card that has PWCC provenance attached. Because it's impossible to know what alterations were done to what cards and in my mind, everything that passes through their hands is suspect. It's just not worth it, I won't support that in any way.
And it should be noted that while many cards have been outted, who the heck knows what chemicals have been used by the card doctors and/or consignment houses and what the long-term ramifications are. Even if you buy an outted card that appears to only be trimmed, do you want to take the risk that chemicals make it change or deteriorate over time?
For what it's worth, I do have altered cards in my collection already, but those were disclosed and priced accordingly.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Steve Birmingham

I would, if the price was right.

I would like to pick up one of the fake auto on a fake card things that seems to be all over Ebay, but I'd be in at more like the $5 as a reference copy or curiosity than the 100 they seem to be going for.

I also would like to pick up a card worked on by the more advanced alterers. Again, as a reference and to see if the work is as good as it sometimes seems in scans, and to see if there are any telltale things left by their process.
But they seem to all be pretty expensive, and I'm guessing the authorities are holding all the returned ones for now. Maybe someday we'll see a show where they tour the FBI card collection just like the shows where they show the FBI gun collection (Very impressive! )
Old 11-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Evan LeBl@nc

Default Would I Buy An Outed Card?

No way it seems hypocritical of me to root for certain parties to be held accountable for their actions, while at the same time profiting off their wares, as I am primarily a reseller and not a collector.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I would buy an outed card at an outed card price. It still has value and is not being sold deceptively. And I also understand what can happen to cards that get chemicals on them.
To me, from the scan it looks like that might have happened to this one (Tony says it's over graded, to his credit)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1916-M101-4...%26itm%3D23292

Last edited by Leon; 11-16-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Bruce Mattioli

If I knew on the onset absolutely not..
Old 11-16-2019, 04:32 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

No way.