NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default New Diamond Stars Collector

After years of collecting post-war cards, I am dipping my toe in to the pre-war waters...set of choice is 1934-36 Diamond Stars and just picked up my first card, #55 Tony Cuccinello. This is also the reason I just signed up for Net54...

I'm working on a number of sets, most of which I knowingly won't be able to complete in this or any other lifetime. I'm going to try and keep this Diamond Stars set in mid-grade (i.e. PSA 5 or 6) to keep it managable. Considering I have a limited amount of disposable income, goal will be to pick up one card a month for guys under a $100...after that, will probably be a card every two or three months as the prices go up. I was able to get Tony for $37...

Anything I should know about for this set (other than how miserably broke I'll be when I attempt to get the high numbers)? Thanks for everyone's time and I hope to learn a thing or two from you guys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935.DiamondStars.TonyCuccinello.PSA6.jpg (52.2 KB, 1768 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:17 AM
R Dixon

Default .

Welcome to the board. Diamond Stars is a nice choice. I personally think the set in underrated. The HOFers are also very reasonably priced in my opinion. My only advice would be to not focus too much on the technical grade assigned by PSA etc. If you look hard enough you will find cards that are every bit as nice as what you're looking for in a 4 holder, or raw for that matter. You won't have to pay as much for those. Conversely, if you're looking for a great deal, you will find plenty of cards in a 5 holder that should probably be a 4. You'll get those for less than other nicer 5's, but you're really just paying for the holder. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:40 AM

Great choice that shows some originality! I would tackle the high numbers first and the rest will be gravy!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Agreed that it is a great choice. They are one of the most classically beautiful sets of all time. I recently picked up a nice raw Terry for $40 or so. It is one of those sets I have not decided to tackle, but might one day.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Goal will be to pick up one card a month for guys under a $100...after that, will probably be a card every two or three months as the prices go up.
Good luck with that! I started off the same way, trying to buy just one card a month. I ended up completing the set in 3 months or so. It is VERY ADDICTIVE! The high numbers are not that bad to find, so don't be afraid of them. Just don't pay hundreds of dollars for them when you can be patient and find them via eBay auction for much cheaper.

You can view my Diamond Stars set at the link below. It is certainly my favorite pre-war set.

http://www.bandkgreen.net/diamond_stars
Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Bill

If you're going for the complete set, don't forget the Cuyler variations and the Greenberg error variation as well.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 AM

You might consider the possibility of buying some of the cards in "multi-card lots" either on eBay or through online auctions. Since you are starting from scratch this might be a good way of obtaining a lot of the cards relatively cheaply and in a hurry.
Good luck and welcome to the board. It's a nice set and undepriced.
tbob
Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Barry Arnold

Default great choice

welcome aboard!!!
as a 'type' collector who tries desperately to buy just one per type,
i have rogers hornsby.
as one of my stars framed for the office, he always gets alot of attention from those who come by--a real beaut.

best,
barry
Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Johnny S

Total pre pop-art style set that is extremely underated due to the lack of Ruth or Gehrig. Have fun and enjoy putting this together. I spent 10 years slowly putting together the 34 Goudey set and it was a lot of fun !
Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default So much for one per month...

fresh from the mail box...#58 Glenn Myatt...love the mask "falling"...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DiamondStars.58.GlennMyatt.PSA6.jpg (52.0 KB, 1684 views)
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Jeff

Default great choice

Excellent choice! The art deco style is fantastic with great color. Loved the set so much I went back and am only 4 cards away from a master set with all the different back variations. Good luck, and I will check my dupes to see if I can help!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Thanks for the encouragement...

With only 106 cards to go, I am truly excited to be working on this set. Thanks for the kind words everyone...
Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Progress on my Diamond Stars set...

I've been spending a lot of time (and $) on my 1954 Topps project and I've also started trying to wrap up what little I have left of my 1959 Topps project, too. Not to be forgotten, been pecking away at my Diamond Stars project and here's what I have so far...just picked up two more which I'll post next week when they're in hand!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default a few more...

still need 94...

Old 04-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Jeff Sherman

Default Great Job So Far!

You're doing a great job building this set in very respectable grades... once you get down past a 7, the cards turn quite reasonable in prices, even the stars and hi #s, and certain low #s as well... when you're done, epecially getting the Left Grove #1 card, you'll have an enormously pleasing and respectable set... good luck!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM
TT40391

Default Welcome

Welcome to the board. This is a great place and everyone has always been helpful to me. In my opinion Carl Hubbell's best looking card is his Diamond Stars issue.

Tony Turner
Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan View Post
You're doing a great job building this set in very respectable grades... once you get down past a 7, the cards turn quite reasonable in prices, even the stars and hi #s, and certain low #s as well... when you're done, epecially getting the Left Grove #1 card, you'll have an enormously pleasing and respectable set... good luck!!!
Thanks GoudeyMan...I'm focused on centering more than anything else. Bought my first PSA 5 this morning but it's nicely centered and cheap compared to the same card in a 6. They just don't make cards anything like this anymore...
Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
M!ke S@il£r

I always thought the set was amazing, but never started it because it didn't have Ruth or Gehrig. In today's economy, maybe that isn't such a bad thing. Maybe this will be my next set I start (and never finish as usual).
Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 AM
John Harrell

Default Diamond Stars

You might want to check out Old Cardboard magazine, Issue #17, Fall 2008. I wrote a lengthy article on this set that you might find useful as a reference. Also be sure to look at the checklist of cards from this set on the Old Cardboard web site.

John
Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
Welcome to the board. Diamond Stars is a nice choice. I personally think the set in underrated. The HOFers are also very reasonably priced in my opinion. My only advice would be to not focus too much on the technical grade assigned by PSA etc. If you look hard enough you will find cards that are every bit as nice as what you're looking for in a 4 holder, or raw for that matter. You won't have to pay as much for those. Conversely, if you're looking for a great deal, you will find plenty of cards in a 5 holder that should probably be a 4. You'll get those for less than other nicer 5's, but you're really just paying for the holder. Good luck.

+1.
Also, look for the chance to buy these cards in groups to reduce the price per card.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangoudeyjohn View Post
You might want to check out Old Cardboard magazine, Issue #17, Fall 2008. I wrote a lengthy article on this set that you might find useful as a reference. Also be sure to look at the checklist of cards from this set on the Old Cardboard web site.

John
Thanks John...any idea where I can get a back copy??? I'd love to read the article...
Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Welcome to a great board ! I also collect this set and think it's fantastic as far as the look of the artwork and the player selection. I have 72 cards to go to complete my set. I don't know if I'll get them all graded or not yet.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:59 PM
John Harrell

Default Old Cardboard article

Go to oldcardboard.com and you can order back issues.

John
Old 04-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Thanks GoudeyMan...I'm focused on centering more than anything else. Bought my first PSA 5 this morning but it's nicely centered and cheap compared to the same card in a 6. They just don't make cards anything like this anymore...
I agree and also love the artwork. One of my favorite cards from the Diamond Card set is the Luke Appling card.

Good luck compiling your set.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default 93 to go...

I really wanted this set to be all PSA 6 and above, but this 5 is nicely centered and has a crisp image...and at half the cost of an off-center 6, just fine for my set.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Barry Arnold

Default congrats!

beautiful collection.

all the best,
barry
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thanks Barry...I save these kinds of sentiments to share with the wife when the mail man arrives with yet another package for me...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Barry Arnold

Default matt

i hear you and understand fully!!!!

all the best!

barry
Old 04-20-2011, 01:33 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Default Master Set

This is one of the first pre-war sets I completed. Careful! Once you complete the basic set, you might get sucked into going for the master set, which is obviously a more painstaking endeavor.

Whichever way you go, enjoy!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Down to 92...

Apparently Jo Jo White's real name was Joyner...

Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 PM

Default Diamond Stars

Nice set Matt. And speaking of Old Cardboard, nice collector profile in the latest issue Barry. Hope to meet you one day.

M Wheat
Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Diamond too

Im also trying to complete the 30s DiamondStar set, Its a great and colorful set.... been at it for about 2 yrs and now down to the last 6 cards..all high #s..they are tough.
Im putting my set together in lesser cond, I have quite a few extars avail for trade including - HOFers - Lopez,Hornsby,Jackson,Averill,Waner,etc..along with about 15 others.
Im pretty sure nobody has extra 30s DiamStar Hi#s for trade..but Im always interested in ANY - 33G,30s Batter Up, 40s Double Play,30s G heads up, 30s40s Play Ball in lower grade
Ral G
Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Don

Best looking set of the 30's in my opinion. Too bad it is missing some of the major stars.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Barry Arnold

Default M Wheat

Many,many thanks for the kind words re: my Old Cardboard bio.
I look forward to the day we can meet as well and chat endlessly re: these
fabulous pieces of cardboard.
all the best,

barry
Old 04-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Mike Ryan

Default I love 'em too!

I am looking for the other 105 in PSA 2. No creases, no wrinkles, no paperloss or pin holes you know PSA 2 just like these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS2S 001.jpg (79.7 KB, 838 views)
File Type: jpg DS2S 002.jpg (80.2 KB, 837 views)
Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default 91 and counting...

Just got back from a business trip and happy to see Harvey Hendrick awaiting my return...

Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default 89 and counting...

Blaeholder was a pitcher for the old Browns and Rolfe an infielder for the Yanks!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:41 PM

Default Three years into it

I have found that you can get a nice jump by buying a lot. I have about 15 cards to go to completion. I find that in the common low numbers, there are some harder to get at a "cheap" price. For example, #4, 6.8,53,72,79,and 80 do not come up on eBay as much as others.Just my experience.Here's a nice debate.Is your set complete without the Na$ty hi-number$? Same card front. A master set has to have the front variations like the Greenberg and Lombardi $pelling$ and Mahaffey, Babich........
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomman1961 View Post
I have found that you can get a nice jump by buying a lot. I have about 15 cards to go to completion. I find that in the common low numbers, there are some harder to get at a "cheap" price. For example, #4, 6.8,53,72,79,and 80 do not come up on eBay as much as others.Just my experience.Here's a nice debate.Is your set complete without the Na$ty hi-number$? Same card front. A master set has to have the front variations like the Greenberg and Lombardi $pelling$ and Mahaffey, Babich........
Thanks for the note Tomman1961...only a few months in and this set is certainly proving a challenge as you alluded to above. It seems like certain cards are readily available in nice condition and very inexpensive (Red Lucas and Cliff Bolton come immediately to mind!). Others...well not so much.
I am inclined to be happy if I only get the low numbers for this set...I really could care less if I have the hi #'s since they are duplicate fronts to what exist in the low #s. It would be nice if I could find some lots to consider, but because I'm looking at mid- to high-grade with emphasis on centering, I'm afraid I'd get some of what I want in the lot but a lot that falls outside my standards. Dare I say I'm becoming a cardboard snob...ugh.
As for this set missing the Ruth and Gehrig, that is one of the reasons I was drawn to the set...beautiful cards, no cards completely out of my financial reach (Grove and Greenburg/Greenberg notwithstanding) and, believe it or not, I beleive this set has the highest percentage of Hall of Famers of any set in the 1930's. While I would love to own a Ruth and/or a Gehrig, I would hate to have them standing in the way of my compelting a set...in this case, I'm aiming for PSA 5-6 in quality...a similar graded Ruth or Gehrig is going to go for several thousand dollars. Right now, the worst card I'm looking at is a $600-900 Greenberg/Greenburg (don't care which I get).
Now for my sad story...I have been lucky enough to knock out some really nicely centered PSA 6's of Hornsby, Traynor and Foxx and had been on the lookout for a nice Ott...I finally found one and negotiated a fair price. It arrived this week and, thanks to our friends at the USPS, the case was cracked...badly. The folks I bought it from have been very good so far and it's been sent back. Hopeing they can resubmit and the card itself wasn't damaged. We'll see...
Old 05-14-2011, 08:47 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
I am looking for the other 105 in PSA 2. No creases, no wrinkles, no paperloss or pin holes you know PSA 2 just like these.
You are putting a pretty nice set for those being all PSA 2s...hard to imagine what is holding those back from a technical grading standpoint because they sure are pretty!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default 88 and counting...

making humble progress on my set...for your consideration, Mr. Tony Piet...

Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default 87 and counting...

Just picked up Hall of Famer Heine Manush who just happens to share my birthday...July 20th!

Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Brad Green

Quote:
Considering I have a limited amount of disposable income, goal will be to pick up one card a month for guys under a $100...after that, will probably be a card every two or three months as the prices go up.
I think I told you that collecting this set is additive. You already have 88 cards... You are proceeding a lot quicker than you originally anticipated. That's sort of the way it happened for me. I had the whole set complete within a matter of months, but wanted to take years to do it....
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
I think I told you that collecting this set is additive. You already have 88 cards... You are proceeding a lot quicker than you originally anticipated. That's sort of the way it happened for me. I had the whole set complete within a matter of months, but wanted to take years to do it....
Thanks Lefty...I actually NEED 87, though...someday.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Brad Green

Quote:
Thanks Lefty...I actually NEED 87, though...someday.
Oops... I see.... You are counting backwards.... Did you start counting at 96 or at 108?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
Oops... I see.... You are counting backwards.... Did you start counting at 96 or at 108?
Fortunately, or unfortunately, 108...I also see myself loosening up my requirements...it started as strict PSA 6...I've dropped to 5 and I could see myself doing nice 4's for the Greenberg/Greenburg and Grove...we'll see. I do love the set though and just love reading the write ups...thanks for following the quest. Matt
Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 AM

Matt,

I inherited my dad's diamond stars. He had 75 of the 96. He was 11 years old in 1934. I completed the set in raw cards last year. Not leaving well enough alone I started to build a second set of the 108 in PSA 4-5. Still need about 10-12 cards. Cool looking set. Even though my dad's cards are poor-good they are worth more to me than the PSA 5's (especially since he got the 75 cards for a total of 75 cents!).

John
Old 07-08-2011, 11:05 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keating3620 View Post
Matt,

I inherited my dad's diamond stars. He had 75 of the 96. He was 11 years old in 1934. I completed the set in raw cards last year. Not leaving well enough alone I started to build a second set of the 108 in PSA 4-5. Still need about 10-12 cards. Cool looking set. Even though my dad's cards are poor-good they are worth more to me than the PSA 5's (especially since he got the 75 cards for a total of 75 cents!).

John
Now that, John, is good stuff. My dad unfortunately lost all of his cards when his mom threw them out when he left for the Navy...I have a few Yankee & Red Sox programs of his that are framed on my wall including a 49 World Series scorecard...wish I had all his cards...he said he had a ton. Oh well...take good care of those!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Now that, John, is good stuff. My dad unfortunately lost all of his cards when his mom threw them out when he left for the Navy...I have a few Yankee & Red Sox programs of his that are framed on my wall including a 49 World Series scorecard...wish I had all his cards...he said he had a ton. Oh well...take good care of those!!!
Ha. My dad threw his cards out the window. Really. Out the window.

I wish I had his cards. Said he had cards from the years 1960-1969 and about 5 complete sets from each year....probably had a bunch of mint Mantles and Pete Rose RCs.....
Old 07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default 1930s DiamondStars.....

Great set..I started mine a couple years ago.. now down to needing only 4 more.
I have loads of doubles avail for trade including many stars and a couple of hi #s. Lesser grade stuff....Im looking for BatterUps,DoublePlay,33 Goudey

RalG