NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2018, 07:08 AM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Default 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle Sells for $2.88 Million

Didn't reach the high auction estimates, but still a very nice selling price.

Wonder if the news will temporarily increase interest in the hobby? Thoughts...

http://abc7ny.com/sports/1952-mickey...$288m/3368800/
Old 04-22-2018, 05:09 AM
Glyn Parson

Default .

Last edited by glynparson; 04-22-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:16 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

We already discussed it.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251884
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:02 AM
Johnny MaZilli

IMO Postwar high end graded material will continuing to go down to pre 2015 levels if not lower.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:32 AM
Al Richter

I have been collecting since 1957. If prices go to only 2015 levels that's fine with me . It is sort of like Bitcoin. If you bought them at $100 you may be sad they dropped down from $ 20 K but are still glad you bought them in the first place at $100

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-22-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
IMO Postwar high end graded material will continuing to go down to pre 2015 levels if not lower.
Thanks for the intel; I will sell my PostWar collection now.

Actually, IMO it is useless to try and lump all cards together under a rubric such as PostWar, PreWar, or Modern. At any given snapshot in time, while several cards seem to be going one way price-wise, another can sell for an all-time high. Each card is its own animal and the only way to ascertain its value is to sell it.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-22-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:25 AM
Al Richter

Matty-- you and Larry S both cashing out before the crash ?
Old 04-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Matt

Oh yes, brother— whenever I see one of those internet posts about "prices going down," I just smash the old panic button, as the fear of losing imaginary money I have no intention of realizing completely overrides my love of collecting beautiful baseball cards

Joshing aside, do any of us collectors care about what the day-to-day, completely hypothetical valuation is of cards currently held in our collections— which are not being presently sold? It is just so utterly moot— no practical significance whatsoever.

It's not like we are cruising happily through life, see some random card or cards sell for whatever price, and then suddenly decide based on that to part ways with cards we have scoured the earth for and so carefully selected. So I fail to see the utility in making pricing generalizations— especially since the generalizations themselves are specious, because a unique card could come along and set a record. And that in itself would of course not signify an upward trend.

Bottom line, I think we collectors collect until we die or are forced by vicissitudes of fortune to sell. And if I'm facing skid row at some point years from now and have to part with my cards, I certainly am not going to shake my fists at the sky because I didn't sell at some prior "high" point, years before, when I was happily cruising along collecting.

In general, I'd hazard the opinion that if collectors online spent more time simply showing cards and explaining why they love them, instead of either prognosticating financial Armageddon or acting as if certain cards are in a competition with each other, it would be great. When I first got back into the hobby after college, all I knew was Post War classics. Thanks to enthusiastic collectors, I came to learn about so many more cards— from PreWar to Modern— that I now happily collect. All the collector-generated written content that contributed to that education was purely positive and so useful.

Last edited by MattyC; 04-22-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Joey D's In Da House!

well said Matty!

Successful transactions buy/sell/trade with: BryanDec, Bounce, Swanstars, PiratesWS1979, unamuzd1, joshchisox08, and others
Old 04-22-2018, 08:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Oh yes, brother— whenever I see one of those internet posts about "prices going down," I just smash the old panic button, as the fear of losing imaginary money I have no intention of realizing completely overrides my love of collecting beautiful baseball cards

Joshing aside, do any of us collectors care about what the day-to-day, completely hypothetical valuation is of cards currently held in our collections— which are not being presently sold? It is just so utterly moot— no practical significance whatsoever.

It's not like we are cruising happily through life, see some random card or cards sell for whatever price, and then suddenly decide based on that to part ways with cards we have scoured the earth for and so carefully selected. So I fail to see the utility in making pricing generalizations— especially since the generalizations themselves are specious, because a unique card could come along and set a record. And that in itself would of course not signify an upward trend.

Bottom line, I think we collectors collect until we die or are forced by vicissitudes of fortune to sell. And if I'm facing skid row at some point years from now and have to part with my cards, I certainly am not going to shake my fists at the sky because I didn't sell at some prior "high" point, years before, when I was happily cruising along collecting.

In general, I'd hazard the opinion that if collectors online spent more time simply showing cards and explaining why they love them, instead of either prognosticating financial Armageddon or acting as if certain cards are in a competition with each other, it would be great. When I first got back into the hobby after college, all I knew was Post War classics. Thanks to enthusiastic collectors, I came to learn about so many more cards— from PreWar to Modern— that I now happily collect. All the collector-generated written content that contributed to that education was purely positive and so useful.
As a very long time generalist collector It's so wonderful to see another collector who really "gets it"

I used to track pricing somewhat, but yes, it was really pointless unless I wanted to sell something. I explained to a friend that the hunting stuff was the game, and the "value" was just a way of keeping score.
Then I was away from mainstream hobbies for a few years, and into a niche of a niche hobby. No price guides, no solid idea of what was out there to be found, so not even a "set" to complete. And very little information to be found anywhere.
And I pretty much loved it! It was sort of pioneering, and required that I give up a few things - I no longer believe in "completeness" a fable my friends foisted on me when they asked if I'd completed any sets then said I must not be much of a collector if I hadn't. I also had to give up on using money as a way to keep score. Everything I found was either way out of my league pricewise, or so cheap I almost felt bad about it. Almost, usually I was the only bidder or the high bidder when my max was way over the final price. I eventually came to realize that being nearly the only person that appreciated something wasn't bad at all.

Now I've changed to coolness to keep score - much simpler, as I got to define that! So a flea market find isn't "look at the deal I got!" but "look at the really cool thing I found" It helps that there's loads of things that are both really cool, and not expensive.

And for others - if you really want to know about the money, lest just say of you've got mainstream tastes, buy nice stuff you really like and have it for long enough the money takes care of itself. Plus you've had all that enjoyment.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
As a very long time generalist collector It's so wonderful to see another collector who really "gets it"

I used to track pricing somewhat, but yes, it was really pointless unless I wanted to sell something. I explained to a friend that the hunting stuff was the game, and the "value" was just a way of keeping score.
Then I was away from mainstream hobbies for a few years, and into a niche of a niche hobby. No price guides, no solid idea of what was out there to be found, so not even a "set" to complete. And very little information to be found anywhere.
And I pretty much loved it! It was sort of pioneering, and required that I give up a few things - I no longer believe in "completeness" a fable my friends foisted on me when they asked if I'd completed any sets then said I must not be much of a collector if I hadn't. I also had to give up on using money as a way to keep score. Everything I found was either way out of my league pricewise, or so cheap I almost felt bad about it. Almost, usually I was the only bidder or the high bidder when my max was way over the final price. I eventually came to realize that being nearly the only person that appreciated something wasn't bad at all.

Now I've changed to coolness to keep score - much simpler, as I got to define that! So a flea market find isn't "look at the deal I got!" but "look at the really cool thing I found" It helps that there's loads of things that are both really cool, and not expensive.

And for others - if you really want to know about the money, lest just say of you've got mainstream tastes, buy nice stuff you really like and have it for long enough the money takes care of itself. Plus you've had all that enjoyment.
Steve, a very interesting well-expressed read. I can really relate to what you said. I grew up getting a kazillion mainstream bubblegum cards. I enjoyed them, but what really captured my fancy in my sports collecting hobby were the immediate post-war regional / food cards, coins, and premiums---IF the design really attracted me, IF the items were particularly appealing to my aesthetic tastes, and eventually, IF the promotion really made getting the items challenging to kids or adults back in the day. Once in awhile, I tried to collect a given set, but I was usually quite content just getting players I really liked, again if their pose looked really good. I was rarely a set guy, but I came by that honestly, being a widow's son from the age of 13.

Kind regards, bro. --- Brian Powell