NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Frank Wakefield

Default Kit Young and eBay... problems?

I was bidding on a card on eBay. I think I won, I think the auction was over. Then I get this message from eBay.

Thank you for your interest in this listing:

Unfortunately, the listing is no longer available. We understand that this may be disappointing, but sometimes we need to remove listings to protect buyers.

There are three main reasons why we remove listings:

-- The listing doesn't follow eBay guidelines.
-- The item isn't allowed on eBay or can only be listed under certain conditions.
-- The listing contains pictures or words in it that may have created copyright or trademark issues.

If the seller is able to fix the problem and relist the item, we hope you'll consider buying it. For privacy reasons, we're not able to give more specific details.

There was nothing rude or offensive about the listing, it was a Colgans Chips card.

Anyone else encounter this, or have an understanding of what the problem is between eBay and Kit Young?

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 11-03-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Sean M.

Was there a reference to PSA in the subject line but it wasn't a PSA card? Something like SGC 84 = PSA 7? I've noticed recently that PSA is asking Ebay to remove listings which use it's service as a reference point. Personally I think this is a good thing. Reputable companies like SGC should be able to stand alone and not have to compare their grades to PSA.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmdc2k View Post
Reputable companies like SGC should be able to stand alone and not have to compare their grades to PSA.

Now thats funny
Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Frank Wakefield

I don't recall anything like that. eBay won't let the listing be recalled. I does look like Kit Young is selling again. I'd think whatever the problem was, that it is now resolved. Good.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Barry Sloate

Sometimes the seller inadvertently uses wording that is not allowed by ebay. I once had a lot on my watchlist that was suddenly removed. I asked the seller what happened and she said because she stated that the lot had a certain catalog value, ebay shut her down. Apparently you can't mention catalog value.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I have had auctions that eBay pulled because the combination of words in the description set off red flags in their search program. The words were not offensive or vulgar, but because they appeared in the description, they ended the auctions. I don't remember specific examples, but after the reviewing the listing(s) I chuckled that a sports related auction could have quite a different meaning by adding or subtracting words.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Dave

Ebay has installed so many mundane rules to their listings that it's hard to keep track sometimes.

Recently I had a bunch of auctions I scheduled bounced back to me because I used an old template I forgot to update the wording to, and it included the phrase, "Please don't bid if you don't agree with the shipping rates and terms", or something of that nature.

In Ebay's opinion it is now against the rules to discourage bidding from buyers you think might cause you trouble.

They say it's for my own good, so who am I to argue?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Steve Birmingham

What category? The stamp sellers do that all the time with no problems I kow of. Unless it's a recent rule.

I wonder is someone complained about his having the same item as both an auction and a buy it now? One of the ones I had in watching was like that.

Personally I'd like to see him use larger pictures. It's hard to see what the card is really like when it's shown so small.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Sometimes the seller inadvertently uses wording that is not allowed by ebay. I once had a lot on my watchlist that was suddenly removed. I asked the seller what happened and she said because she stated that the lot had a certain catalog value, ebay shut her down. Apparently you can't mention catalog value.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Ebay has installed so many mundane rules to their listings that it's hard to keep track sometimes.

Recently I had a bunch of auctions I scheduled bounced back to me because I used an old template I forgot to update the wording to, and it included the phrase, "Please don't bid if you don't agree with the shipping rates and terms", or something of that nature.

In Ebay's opinion it is now against the rules to discourage bidding from buyers you think might cause you trouble.

They say it's for my own good, so who am I to argue?
haha - that's great.

I had an auction pulled because it was for an old pack of baseball cigarettes. I added a disclaimer indicating that you should absolutely never smoke opened packs of 80-yr old cheap cigarettes that had been chewed on by bugs.

Another got pulled because I mentioned that a pool cue had an ivory joint. Now I state that it's a bone-like material commonly found in hard items on animals that grow out of their heads.

It's important to note that most of the time when you have an auction pulled, it's because someone who has a hard-on for you has alerted ebay - ebay is all about the $$$ and will overlook most things unless their hand is forced.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

Yeah, a friend of mine had an item pulled. They said it was Nazi memorabilia.

He called and asked if they'd looked at it before pulling it or at all. They hadn't, but looked then. It was a Marlin Arms matchbook from WWII showing a US soldier bayoneting and stepping on a Nazi flag....

They let him relist for free.

Steve B
Old 11-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Yeah, a friend of mine had an item pulled. They said it was Nazi memorabilia.

He called and asked if they'd looked at it before pulling it or at all. They hadn't, but looked then. It was a Marlin Arms matchbook from WWII showing a US soldier bayoneting and stepping on a Nazi flag....

They let him relist for free.

Steve B

I broke up one of those 1936 German Olympic Card sets a few years ago, and all the cards picturing Hitler were pulled and I was warned.

I didn't care enough to complain and ended up just tossing them aside or throwing them in a junk lot or something.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Barry Sloate

Steve-I don't know why the term "catalog value" shut it down (it was in fact a coin listing), but that is what she told me. Maybe she wasn't being entirely truthful, who knows.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

Unless it's a category thing. I know each category has its own manager. Maybe their coin guy doesn't believe in catalogs? Or more likely in a particular catalog.

In stamps the Scott catalogs are the primary source of pricing unless something is particularly nice. The bit of time I spent doing coins I recall the catalogs weren't as strong a force. Maybe because at the time there were a few of them? Coin world? the weekly newspaperish one, coin prices, the red book, plus two or three other magazines.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Steve-I don't know why the term "catalog value" shut it down (it was in fact a coin listing), but that is what she told me. Maybe she wasn't being entirely truthful, who knows.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

Likely because Kit Young included a link to his website (where the card can also be purchased) in the listing or invoice. Ebay is clamping down on any efforts to redirect buyers away from its site and massive fees for sellers.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM

In the last week-maybe last weekend- I won (2) Diamond Stars from Kit Young. After winning, I THINK EBay said the lots were pulled. I forget the exact language. Then I received an e-mail from Kit Young Cards that the lot was good to go and they are working their problems with ebay.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 PM

Just received my Diamond Stars from Kit Young, from EBay. I see no problem.They do recognize it, and say they are working to resolve it.