NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default F7 Dixie Lids- 1938

Picked up this uncut sheet, F7 Dixie Lids- 1938, recently and when it arrived it was in pieces. It had been damaged badly in shipping. It was either throw it away in sadness or use archival tape by the foot. I chose the later. Saved it from the recycle bin but what a shame that it got really messed up in shipping. The seller offered a refund but I just kept the item. It really wasn't about the money. Some things, even with modest value, just can't be replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pf7dixie1938lidsheet2.jpg (74.9 KB, 148 views)
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Jeff

What did they ship it in, wax paper?
What a shame.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-03-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:25 AM
J@son M1ller

Bummer, but like you said, better to keep it together by any means necessary than to just throw it out.

Still a neat piece.

I got something in the mail recently that looked absolutely mint in the picture and then arrived with a broken off corner. It's very disappointing, so I feel your pain.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
What did they ship it in, wax paper?
What a shame.
They tried to ship it securely but failed. It was in a large top loader (which was fine) but they didn't have very much cardboard around it at all. It was about 25" long by 14" wide by about 3/4" deep (which was the issue). It bent in the middle as well as was tore in 3 pieces, and neither were that way before shipping. Had they used a heavier piece of cardboard, or wood, it would have been fine. They didn't do it on purpose they just didn't realize what would happen. Many times I am amazed at how folks ship things.

PS.... I should add that on an occasion or two, in my many shipments, I have shipped something poorly too. I don't do it often, but it's happened. All you can do is offer a refund or whatever the other party wants...and apologize.

Last edited by Leon; 03-03-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Steve Birmingham

Glad you picked up that sheet. I saw it on Ebay and watched it but it went over the winter budget quickly.

I've had a few things shipped sortof well packed that didn't work out. A T206 that was vg-ex that slid partway out of the toploader didn't do well, but another thing shiped in a big toploader and bubble envelope was ok. The second was a big surprise. The package looked really bad, bad enough to tell the toploader was badly broken from outside the package. But the item was just fine. The ones that amaze me are the ones horribly packed that go through the machinery just fine. 3 cards in a cardsaver in a regular envelope and no creasing? I still have no idea how that happened.

Steve B
Old 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Leon

I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your F7.
A big part of the fun about the hobby is waiting---like a kid---for the package to come and opening it immediately upon arrival!! It is a wee bit of a downer when it's not exactly what you anticipated.
I do think you were wise to keep it and fix it as best you could.
It is a great item and looks it.
well done.
all the best,
barry