NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Default Altering Photos on Cards

So this was the first time cards were acquired from a particular seller. I always was curious about the advertising that they used and how every card they had was Near Mint or better. They sell everything from Common 1960s to Ty Cobbs. However, I needed to upgrade a few cards on my set registry which is why I had them purchased for me.

So 4 1948 Leaf Boxing cards were purchased which were advertised as near mint and near mint plus with great pictures and a blue background. The cards were timely received in the mail but had soft corners, chips on the border likely from a fingernail and two cards had ink stains on the cards. Clearly the auction doesn't state or show this as they are NRMT or NRMT+ with no marks whatsoever. All of these defects have all been photoshopped out. Pics of the ebay photos and actually cards for two of the cards that are very obvious.

As with these, this person is luring buyers with fancy language and altering the photos to make the cards appear to be NRMT/NRMT+. It doesn't seem like the first time that this buyer has had people question what they were really receiving. Most likely they too were actually receiving the same card but photos were being edited. This is a warning of what people do on ebay to sell something. Does anyone know how to alert ebay on this. Any help??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by ezez420; 04-17-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 AM
pete ullman

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Bill Gregory

Good morning, Ez.

First of all, thank you for bringing this to everybody's attention. I will add him to my mental list of buyers to avoid.

To alert Ebay about this seller, bring up the auction you won to attain these cards. Directly to the right of the description and shipping tabs (look all the way to the right from there), you will find a "report" link. Click it.

I'd suggest "listing practices" for the report category. Reason for report, I'd go with "fraudulent listing activities". Detailed reason you have two options. The only one appropriate is "you suspect a listing is fraudulent". I believe it will then ask you for a brief description (I can't test this without filing a report). I don't remember if they will ask for any contact information. I don't believe so.

You might also ask on Ebay's forum if anybody has additional/better suggestions. But this is where I'd start.

Good luck in getting satisfaction here. This is clear misrepresentation. The guy should have his account banned, imo.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Bill Gregory

Hmm, since I've never done it, it slipped my mind. You can open a case with Ebay about the item (and by extension, the seller).

Go to the resolution center. Here's the link:

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/

Under "I bought an item", select "I received an item that did not match the seller's description". On the next page, it will show pictures of the items you've recently purchased. So long as the purchase was made within 30 days, you can open a case.

Take some more pictures, or better yet, if you have access to one, carefully scan the cards so you can show Ebay the difference between the pictures provided in the auction, and what you received.

Best of luck!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 04-03-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 AM
Dave_Berg

There is no question in my mind. Last year I bought a Joe Jackson Playball. They had photoshopped out a mark by the border. I was happy with price, so kept it. Will never bid on any of their items ever again!!! Avoid this seller!!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

In my opinion he is committing fraud (assuming your posts of the ebay photos are accurate). Intentionally trying to mislead. Look how he evens out the lower black border on the Lesnovich, totally takes out the overage on the bottom right border.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 04-03-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
In my opinion he is committing fraud (assuming your posts of the ebay photos are accurate). Intentionally trying to mislead. Look how he evens out the lower black border on the Lesnovich, totally takes out the overage on the bottom right border.

I agree this is wrong. Please open an eBay claim against this guy.
SLers = 30/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks for posting this, Ed! This type of behavior is not right, and is another example of fraud within the hobby.

I had this happen to me 2 years ago on an OPC Gretzky RC. After I won the eBay auction I did some searching and found the card had sold before. No big deal, but once I checked the scans of the older sale I noticed the flip was the same, but the cards looked different (the one I won had better centering and a better upper right corner).

So I message'd the seller and told them that it appeared they photoshopped their scans. I requested they cancel the transaction, which they did, but they denied any wrongdoing. I sent comparison scans to a few hobby friends, but neither of them could be certain of photoshopping.

I went back through my Gavelsnipe history to see who the seller was of the Gretzky.... Battlefield0516. This is no coincidence, and reassures me that I wasn't seeing things 2 years ago. Ed, I think you should edit your title to mention the seller by name (you can do so in advanced mode).

Here's the Gretzky comparison. The upper right corner is definitely colored in on the Battlefield0516 example on the right, and it also appears they added some right border to give the impression of better centering...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 99.jpg (74.0 KB, 2381 views)
Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Yes, these actions are shady. I am sure more people have had dealings with this person. I am trying to refrain from posting the person's name (or likely guy who is using someone elses name).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by ezez420; 04-17-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

I have had the same problem with this seller. I bought a raw card and when it showed up there were several print spots/factory defects on the card that weren't on the scan. I called her on it and she said they had many of the same card and may have accidentally sent me one of the other ones. I called foul because the card was otherwise exactly the same with at least one other distinguishing mark. In the end, she didn't admit to photoshopping, but she gave me a full refund and let me keep the card. No harm in the end, I guess, but I wouldn't go back.