NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Posted By: joe maples

Hi there, does anyone know if any T205 cards can have a glossy surface. I have one that has a glossy shiny finish.

Thanks Joe

I posted pictures at a later post at the bottom.

Joe
<

Old 02-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Posted By: J Levine

The T-205s do not have the standard glossy surface of say the t200 issue. They actually have no gloss which is one reason the gold border chips so readily. Hope this helps.

-Joshua

Old 02-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Hi again, just wondering where this card came from, it is Cobb. It does have some chipping on the edges, has black print on the back. Has the correct measurements, just can't figure how it was produced. Does not look like a computer generated or copy because of the finish. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks joe

Old 02-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Default T205 question

There was a reprint set issued in the mid 1980s that does have a glossy front. Cobb was also reprinted in several dover publications and bert sugar books thoughout the early '80s. If the advertising on the back is black and NOT sweet caporal, it is definitely a reprint. If you have a scan, I will be able to tell you more. Again, hope this helps.

-Joshua

Old 02-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

It's a Piedmont back so I guess it is a reprint. Unfortunately bought this on ebay a few years ago. I thought it was a fake at that time, could not get money back, used all tools with ebay, government agencies, post office, no results. Thanks again

Joe

Old 02-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Posted By: fkw

Question would be answered easily if there was a scan of the card. T205 reprints are easy to tell from authentic cards.

Always buy a few low grade commons (under $10 ea.) before going for the big $$ cards on sets you may not know. Look at how card was made, not the way it looks (look at paper, thickness, print, surface, wear, age, etc.). Modern cards and reprints are far different than 100 year old cards in how they were made. Frank

Old 02-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Thanks Frank, actually I have been collecting for quite a few years, mid 1970's. There was a scan of front and back of card, but I thought I knew more than I did. did not know about the Piedmont back not being on Cobb Card. This is the only time I was duped on ebay. I did buy some cards years ago at shows when they were more popular and did come up with some trimmed cards when I tried to get them graded. Maybe 8-10 of the hundreds that I bought. I got caught up in the excitement of buying the Cobb card. The seller is still selling on ebay and getting good feedback, but I think he knew this card was a fake. Emailed and talked to him on the phone and he would not budge.
I did send the card to SGC and they said it was counterfeit, no explanation though. I try to buy only graded cards on ebay, but still buy ungraded when it is a good dealer and can be pretty certain. By the way, do you have any idea how scarce the Bauman T207 card is. Lipset's books says one of the more difficult, never saw one on ebay. Also none at the Cleveland National either.

Thanks joe

Old 02-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Posted By: Scott M

Hi Joe,

I think you mistook part of Joshs reply to you. Cobb does in fact come in a Piedmont back. The one I have in my collection is a Piedmont back.

Sometimes the blue printing can appear to be pretty dark, almost black, but the fact that your Cobb has a Piedmont back is not a problem..

The glossy finish, on the other hand though, doesn't sound good...

Scott

Old 02-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Default T205 question

The glossy finish is the real problem, also if the back is black and too white then it is certainily a reprint...if you want to send me a scan to my e-mail, I will take a look at it for you.

Joshua

Old 02-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Joshua, thanks, although I log on to this board often, I have not posted much before. Not sure what your email address is or how to get it.

Joe

Old 02-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Here are pictures

Old 02-13-2005, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Actually looks good to me because of the off-center cut and the wear...is the back glossy at all? This might be a card that was shelacked which does turn the blue ink darker. Hard to tell...

-Joshua

PS People's e-mail are right under the log-on.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Posted By: Anonymous

It does look like the card was shelacked, both sides have that smooth feeling if you know what I mean. Have you seen other cards that people shelacked? I looked at this card and some other T205's that I have and they look the same under the 10X microscpope or whatever these magnifying glasses are called. Of course the other T205's are not glossy.

Joe

Old 02-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Joe,
Yes, one of the three hindu t-205s I have are shelacked...I also have a piedmont tony smith that is shelacked and the blue piedmont ink looks nearly black...glad to help...I guess your cobb is the real deal.

-joshua

Old 02-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Thanks for info Joshua, do you have any idea how much the value goes down for shelacked Cobb. Like I said in other message, SGC just sent it back with counterfeit tag. I would have thought they would identify as altered. Just guessing on that though.

Thanks Joe

Old 02-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Value is up to you, generally I would pay not much more than 5% for a card that was shelacked. And just to be clear, these are just opinions. Not sure if it is real or not, but I am leaning towards real currently, without holding the card in my hand, I can not give a definitive fake/real designation (technically, I can't if I hold it in my hand but I can give you a better percentage of accuracy).

Good luck,

Joshua

Old 02-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default T205 question

Joshua or anyone else going to National, I am planning to attend in Chicago, I will bring this card and maybe get a final answer.

Joe