NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 PM

Default 1996 Select Certified boxes. What to do?

Just bought a large collection of unopened boxes and sets, some had collated and for the most part, it’s 85-90% crap. I didn’t realize what I had till I got it all home and began looking up stuff on eBay. Anyways there’s 2 minty fresh boxes of 1996 Select Certified baseball now in my possession as a result of this purchase that I honestly had no idea when I was packing it all up. My brief research led me to realize it’s good stuff. Potential game changer opportunities inside, just not for me. What’s the best way to move forward? Would you send the boxes to PSA to have the packs graded? Put them away for how long? Sure I could list a box on eBay, but is this dried up stuff? Are all the Jeter cards cracked? Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:50 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

If the boxes are sealed I would sell them as is. They sell for 800-1000 each. If you open a sealed box you won't get as much for it. Or you could do an online box break and sell spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkdrawer View Post
Just bought a large collection of unopened boxes and sets, some had collated and for the most part, it’s 85-90% crap. I didn’t realize what I had till I got it all home and began looking up stuff on eBay. Anyways there’s 2 minty fresh boxes of 1996 Select Certified baseball now in my possession as a result of this purchase that I honestly had no idea when I was packing it all up. My brief research led me to realize it’s good stuff. Potential game changer opportunities inside, just not for me. What’s the best way to move forward? Would you send the boxes to PSA to have the packs graded? Put them away for how long? Sure I could list a box on eBay, but is this dried up stuff? Are all the Jeter cards cracked? Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
If the boxes are sealed I would sell them as is. They sell for 800-1000 each. If you open a sealed box you won't get as much for it. Or you could do an online box break and sell spots.

Thanks Yaz, they are still nicely 100% sealed and in flawless condition. I was wondering if by chance there was a better option. I knew at one time people were grading boxes through GAI, but they’re gone. I wasn’t sure what they do now. I see PSA grades packs but honestly I think leave them alone makes a lot of sense.

How do you think they will be considered in the future value wise? Worth it to hold?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM

I think the fees associated with having the packs slabbed would eat into your profit and you'd have to deal with the administrative aspect of mailing out multiple items rather than one complete box that would cost you nothing to list and sell.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think the fees associated with having the packs slabbed would eat into your profit and you'd have to deal with the administrative aspect of mailing out multiple items rather than one complete box that would cost you nothing to list and sell.
You sure have me seeing the light. Why cut into profit and add more work and expenses selling. I’m in total agreement. Thanks Packs.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Future value depends on how the jeter trends over time. Right now the rare jeters are 8000-15000. If they go up like the Jordan cards - the box will increase in value. It depends on if you want to get paid now or later. It probably won't go down.
Your boxes are guaranteed unsearched right now since they are factory sealed. Once the box is open that is gone and the box hit guarantees are void. People will assume the packs were searched. It's in the best state for preservation right now.

Quote:
Thanks Yaz, they are still nicely 100% sealed and in flawless condition. I was wondering if by chance there was a better option. I knew at one time people were grading boxes through GAI, but they’re gone. I wasn’t sure what they do now. I see PSA grades packs but honestly I think leave them alone makes a lot of sense.

How do you think they will be considered in the future value wise? Worth it to hold?
Old 03-20-2019, 09:59 AM
Jonathan Sterling

If I remember correctly no guarantees on a hit in these boxes. And even if a hit there are only so many $1000.00 cards most of the mirror cards are much less than a grand. So definitely a big risk to open unless money is no object. (a mere bag of shells) to coin the phrase. But lots of Gamblers so selling unopened sealed boxes should be stright forward. Good Luck.
J
Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Most likely the unopened boxes are worth more than the contents. 1996 Select Certified is one of the classic and hot 1990s issues, due to the mirror cards, so whether you want to sell know or keep, it's a safe bet.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Ironic that a company that went broke has hot products nearly two decades after its demise.

I'd perhaps see what it would take for BBCE to shrink wrap/certify the boxes and then I'd hold for a while. Seems to me that desirable modern boxes are going to go up in price over time, especially as people chase the good cards. There were only 3,240 boxes made (per baseballcardpedia) so it isn't like there are 500,000 boxes out there.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-23-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:30 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

The boxes are already factory sealed. He stated above.
Just a note, BBCE will not wrap any box that was issued wrapped from the company. So they can wrap your older wax but not the new stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Ironic that a company that went broke has hot products nearly two decades after its demise.

I'd perhaps see what it would take for BBCE to shrink wrap/certify the boxes and then I'd hold for a while. Seems to me that desirable modern boxes are going to go up in price over time, especially as people chase the good cards. There were only 3,240 boxes made (per baseballcardpedia) so it isn't like there are 500,000 boxes out there.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I did not know that.

As far as the OP goes, if I got the boxes in the lot, I known I should hold them for resale but I know I would bust the packs and see if I hit a lottery pick.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-25-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Just wanted to follow up as I have had several interested in these boxes. I did recently consign one of the boxes to Mile High Card Co and it’s up for bidding in their current auction.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:41 PM
Curt

Good luck. I am not one to keep anything sealed and I know the odds of hitting the big hits are slim. I can easily say in my head that you are doing the right thing to sell. You are possibly leaving some money on the table by selling now, but that is a gamble too. It seems likely that if this box is desirable now though, it should not get any less desirable in the future and only a limited number were made, as was noted. I don't think I could trust myself to keep it sealed and sit on it, so I think I would do the same thing.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:45 AM

$5794.25
Old 01-24-2020, 03:08 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Lol Yaz Sports estimated the box at $800 to $1,000. And to be honest I would have guessed maybe twice that. But no where near what it sold for. $5794.00 Might be a record for a 90's box esp one that did not contain any autographed cards.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Wow. I'd like to change my answer on the second box from "bust it" to "hold!" It's gonna be an 86 Fleer basketball box...

Or not...
Old 01-25-2020, 12:13 PM

A box just sold on eBay in December. An offer of $5k was accepted. I did confirm that with the eBay seller.
Yes the second box is an interesting thing to have. My gut says hang on to it.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:08 PM
Curt

Outstanding! Did that pay for the entire collection by chance?

Quote:
$5794.25
Old 01-25-2020, 02:33 PM

F*#% Yeah!