NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Default Very cool game used bat card !!!

Posted By: Brett

I'm not much of a fan of game used cards, but this is something I wish I had !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/TY-COBB-2007-Triple-Threads-Bat-Barrell-Nameplate-1-1_W0QQitemZ300127476546QQihZ020QQcategoryZ149905QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think its stupid to cut up his baseball bats, but i'd rather have the outside where his name is over the inside that might not even be from his bat.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

and chances are it came from a game model bat. I can't believe people still pay real money for this crap.

I really wish that if they companies are so compelled to buy up game used memorabilia, that instead of butchering the item, they instead make the chase card a redeemable insert that you send back to get the whole item, rather than a meaningless sliver.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Hey, they found one of Paul Cobb's minor league bats.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

The thing that stands out to me is the $249 -- $249! -- shipping cost. Is Ty's great-grandson going to drive it to my house?

Old 07-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Amazing that people can pay this kind of money for this crap. For 5K you could buy yourself a great prewar Cobb card.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

I don't even get the appeal, especially when what you get bears no resemblance to the original. If the card itself wasn't an identifier I'd have no way of knowing, the letters T Y or not. A crying shame to destroy the original - never have that back again. Better they should have carved up his toilet seat and made a card that said "Ty Cobb sat here"!

Old 07-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Man, its at $4500 and it hasn't met the reserve, ouch!
It's good to be a card company, it's like printing money.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

I can only think of one word that sums up that card
SACRILEGE

Old 07-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Jerry

I agree.

Max

Old 07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think it's shameful, to ruin a bat (assuming it even was a real one) to create something worthless.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

This just reminded me of an experience I had a few years back.

One of the major auction houses was selling an Upper Deck whatever-it-is card with a cut of Alexander Cartwright's signature. It was touted as unique and ended up selling for at least $10,000.

I once had a large group of Cartwright documents and this particular cut looked awfully familiar. I went back to my photocopies and compared them to the catalog picture and sure enough I found exactly the piece that they cut from one of the documents. It matched up perfectly.

But it wasn't Cartwright's signature. This particular document, although in his hand, was a family tree, and since the baseball Cartwright was AJC the 3rd, his father and grandfather shared the same name. All Upper Deck did was cut out the name of his grandfather and claim it was a signature. It wasn't even signed- it was just a listing of his ancestor's name. Now you can argue that since he wrote it everything was fine, but I argued otherwise.

I brought my photocopy and catalog to the auction and pointed it out to those in charge. They weren't the least bit interested.

So I am always suspicious that these cards that claim to have a piece of some valuable relic are even what they are supposed to be.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

It is barbarian to this sort of thing to a bat. All that being said, there's no guarantee that a bat with COBB in block letters on the barrel was a Ty Cobb gamer. I would bet that anyone who would mutilate a bat would slice up a likely Joe Cobb bat and call it a Ty Cobb bat long before they'd destroy a Ty Cobb bat that could cost $100,000.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

Thats true, I never thought that it could be from a model bat lol. I was just saying before that I don't like the game used bat cards where they you get the inside of the bat. That wood could have been from a tree in the guys backyard for all we know lol. I would rather have part of the outside of the bat. I still don't like how they cut up bats, jerseys and autographs though. Its a terrible waste of memorabilia. Half of the autographs on the "legendary cuts" are missing letters so that they will fit on the card. I've seen a dozen "Mickey Mant" or "Mickey Mantl" ones on ebay...

Old 07-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...if they carve up the bats. I don't think it's sacriligous (sp?) or anything. But I also happen to think the bat cards are total crap. If they want to chip up the bat, let them have at it -- but I don't have to buy the sawdust card.