NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default M101-2's

Posted By: Henry Eshelman

Does anyone have any sort of pop for these cards. And can someone also explain the extreme price difference between say a mediocre HOFer and the big guys aka wagner jackson and cobb?

Thanks, Henry Eshelman

Old 11-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Default M101-2's

Posted By: steve f

You're right Henry, major price gap. My guess is that, Unlike little T cards, the storage/display requirements of these large prints makes it a hassle to collect the non-stars.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Default M101-2's

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

I agree, they are more like a display piece. I do not collect them, but if I were to display one or two, I would certainly migrate towrards the big name players.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Default M101-2's

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Speaking as someone who has all the M101-2s except three of those mega-expensive ones , I think it's clear that very few collectors are seeking the complete set, due to size, condition, or display issues. But almost anyone could accommodate a photo with Cobb and Wagner in it, or a Shoeless Joe. In my view the commons are undervalued, rather than the tough cards overvalued.

Tim

Old 11-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default M101-2's

Posted By: John S

Great question Henry. The M101-2's are amongst my favorites. The entire set was auctioned (individually) on eBay a few weekends ago and I was surprised at some of the ending prices. Many semi-stars went for over $100 and the big HOF'ers went in the $300-$400 range (Jackson and Cobb/Wagner went even higher). I was glad to see that the issue is finally starting to garner some attention from collectors. Not too long ago common players in decent shape could be had for under $10.

As stated by prvious posters, they are not as simple to store as a standard sized issue. In addition, they are not being graded by any company as far as I know (a negative for some collectors). Regarding the general population, they are not as difficult as M101-1's but at times not a single one is listed on eBay so I wouldn't say that they are easily attained.

I would like to see an article featuring M101-2's in a future edition of Old Cardboard. I am specifically interested in the ad backs which are extremely rare. I picked this one up on eBay a couple years ago.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Default M101-2's

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

An under appreciated set in my book. I bought this in 1995 and had it matted & framed.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Default M101-2's

Posted By: steve f

Never knew the Peach could smile. That's one terrific shot.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Default M101-2's

Posted By: Todd Schultz