NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2003, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default thoughts

Posted By: Joel

What should a bidder think about a line in an auction like this.....

"WE WILL NOT GIVE OUT THE RESERVE UNTIL THE AUCTION IS OVER!!!!!!! "

Is this legal? It sounds like they can decide at any time whether to really sell the card.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Default thoughts

Posted By: Rob M

They establish a hidden reserve when they set up the auction. Once a bid hits that number they are locked in and have to sell. It's just that a lot of bidders will try to email them before the auction is over to ask what the reserve is. They don't want people trying to do that as it defeats the purpose of the hidden reserve.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Default thoughts

this auction does not actually have an offical ebay "reserve not met" or "reserve met" url. the words i quoted in the original post are in the body of the description. It appears that there is no reserve as related to ebay but there is a reserve when described in the lower text.

i wish i could find the link......errrrrrr

Old 12-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default thoughts

1) They mistakenly left that standard "reserve" note in their text, or...
2) They meant to have a reserve and forgot to input it when setting up the auction, or...
3) They meant it just as you described - which is illegal under ebay rules.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default thoughts

Posted By: Julie

Old 12-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Default thoughts

I have seen this often on T206's. It is one of the sellers common habits.

I will find the link.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Default thoughts

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Joel,
I think ya'll are referring to the theantmanltd 's auctions. They use the same verbage in all of there auctions Reserve or not. I have bought 10-15 T206's from them without any problems.
I don't think there is any intent to deceive, merely to shorten listing time. Be well Brian

Old 12-06-2003, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Default thoughts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2769360162&category=31719

i just think it is a little shady to not use the ebay reserve feature. Without the ebay feature, the reserve can change when the wind blows in a different direction.

Old 12-06-2003, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Default thoughts

That is just standard verbage to cover them when they do have a reserve. They don't have a reserve on this one so the verbage is moot. I'm sure they will sell for whatever the final price is.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Default thoughts

Posted By: theantmanltd

If the listing doesn't say " reserve not met " or " reserve met " there is no reserve !!!! we just use the same info for all our sales. all our cards are on at 9.99 or 4.99 if that is what they bring, that is what they sell for. If they bring more "YA WHO"!! Hope that clears it up.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Default thoughts

Posted By: John(z28jd)

I can definitely vouch for the people over at the antique man,they are a top notch seller and the reserve quotes is exactly what they said it was.No deception involved,definitely not trying to be sneaky as some misinformed person mentioned above.

They have a standard listing setup that they use for every auction,they just change a few words in the description so it goes with the card theyre selling.They list so many items that its not worth it(time-wise) to change it everytime they want to list something and not have a reserve.

The other thing is,besides providing great service on ebay,any time ive asked them a question theyve answered my question quickly and are always courteous,wouldnt it be more responsible to ask them first before trying to degrade on a public message board when you dont have all the facts