NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Default How much does writing on cards hurt their value?

I picked up a lot of 1962s yesterday that all had writing on them. It was either initials (AA) or year (62, 52, etc.). Other than the writing, most of them are in pretty good, middle of the road shape for the 1960s.

I've included scans of a few of the bigger names from the lot I picked up. The Musial with the tape has a crease, and both Spahns are really rough with a crease and/or tape marks. Other than that, most just have the writing on them. Otherwise, they'd grade probably VG to VG-Ex.

My question is how far does the writing knock down grades? For example, what should I list the Maris at? Fair, Poor, Good, VG? What?

I'm going to be looking to sell these as I can't use them in my set due to the writing. But I was curious what to list them at when I do the listings/thread. Thanks in advance.

Here's scans of the best cards...

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.

Last edited by wdwfan; 11-18-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:00 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I would grade those as Poor. The fact that it's so large and in the center of the front hurts it. PSA rule of thumb for MK is a 2-point drop, but that's presuming it doesn't further damage the card, which ballpoint writing does.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Chris Counts

For me, writing on the back of a card is not nearly as bad as writing on the front. In fact, writing on the back matters so little to me that I regularly search for cards with "writing on the back" because I can find bargains.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:56 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Ink is the cardboard equivalent of the guillotine. Like John, I would assess them as poor.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

To me, intentional damage like writing or trimming is a big dealbreaker unless the card is super rare.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I am not being at all snotty when I say this, but the OP doesn't want them in his collection because of the writing; most other collectors are going to feel the same way about flawed cards that are so common. It is one thing if the card is extremely rare or an iconic card that is only available to most collectors if there are major flaws, but those cards are not at all rare or iconic.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Correct. I have no intention of keeping them. I was just curious what to list them at when I sell them as I don't deal with these types of cards.

I usually toss out anything that has creases, writing or paper loss. But I got these at a really good deal, and I feel I can make money off them even selling them as Poor.

Maybe there's someone out there doing a low grade set and can use a $5 Maris (or whatever I decide to sell him at).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I am not being at all snotty when I say this, but the OP doesn't want them in his collection because of the writing; most other collectors are going to feel the same way about flawed cards that are so common. It is one thing if the card is extremely rare or an iconic card that is only available to most collectors if there are major flaws, but those cards are not at all rare or iconic.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I see a lot of cards from the 60s on back that have writing on them. For these, it seems the owner's initials were AA because that's what was on almost every card. Some of them have the team name crossed out and another team name written in its place. Why someone would write something on cards that were worth so much (or crease them up or put tape on them or put them in bicycle spokes or whatever). Heck, I was looking closer at the Frank Robinsons (and a couple of others) and there are tack marks. Like someone hung them up on the wall or something. I can't understand why people didn't take better care of their cards back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
To me, intentional damage like writing or trimming is a big dealbreaker unless the card is super rare.

Last edited by wdwfan; 11-18-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Ben North

Please quit throwing your beaters away. Several of us collect them.

As far as the cards you just purchased I would say you paid full retail or really close. You might be able to make a few $ if you consider your time to be completely worthless.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
For me, writing on the back of a card is not nearly as bad as writing on the front. In fact, writing on the back matters so little to me that I regularly search for cards with "writing on the back" because I can find bargains.
I concur completely here. Just purchased a 1925 Exhibits KiKi Cuyler rookie I had been looking for for awhile (just 15 total PSA and SGC graded) in VG(mk) 3. The mark was due to the fact that "1925" had been written in very small letters on the back at the bottom of the card, along with "A" in slightly larger font stamped on the back above it. Since the backs are blank anyway, it bothers me not at all.

Generally, the rarer and more significant a card is, the more condition defects are tolerated and the lesser effect they have on the card's value, percentage-wise, in my experience. Large writing on the front on cards not particularly rare is, however, a big-time negative, IMHO.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 11-18-2018, 07:47 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Yea, I know I won't get much out of them. I bought them knowing I wouldn't get much out of them. I actually just listed them in a thread for 15 cents apiece. So we'll see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Please quit throwing your beaters away. Several of us collect them.

As far as the cards you just purchased I would say you paid full retail or really close. You might be able to make a few $ if you consider your time to be completely worthless.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Curt

My comments were 15-20 years later than this example. By the time I started buying cards, the hobby was more developed and people knew better, but as a kid with no direct connection to the hobby yet other than buying packs at the local grocery store, I had no clue. I tacked some cards on my wall, taped others, trimmed some and even laminated several (the school had a real laminator and then we discovered the retail stuff you could cut from rolls! I can say I never wrote on my cards though. It was 1978 and cards were not worth anything more than the price of a pack to us anyways, so we were not hurting anything by taping them to our walls. I don't recall when I made my first visit to a card store, but do remember even then, some people would write prices on the backs of the cards themselves. Usually pencil, but sometimes pen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I can't understand why people didn't take better care of their cards back then.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:17 PM

For the guys still living, what you could do for example the Torre, is get it signed, so the "B" becomes "Best Wishes, Joe Torre" and that card all of a sudden becomes really desirable.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
For the guys still living, what you could do for example the Torre, is get it signed, so the "B" becomes "Best Wishes, Joe Torre" and that card all of a sudden becomes really desirable.
Pretty good idea there. Back when I started collecting in the late '80's, even an autograph on the card was considered defacing it. The current trend, is of course just the opposite (although personally, I still don't like it--cards are cards, and autographs are autographs--to each his own).

Good luck with them,

Larry
Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Rich Klein

For those card you showed the typical "retail" is 10 percent or less of book. But what you ask is up to you

Rich
Old 11-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Emlily Ell.is

Thanks everyone. I wound up selling the entire lot of 75 for $40 shipped. I sold the commons and semistars for 15 cents apiece and got $3 for the ones pictured (the stars).

I've got 1 last lot of 5 more (#1 Maris, #50 Musial (x2), #300 Mays, #320 Aaron) that I'm looking to move right now. I'm actually asking 6% of BV on that lot. So hopefully those will be able to move as well.

Thanks again.

Last edited by wdwfan; 11-21-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:37 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I recently ran across a nice lot of '57s - centering very good and registration good across the board. However, they all had an ink stamp and a pen mark on the backs.

I ended up buying the lot and using them as the base of a new '57 set project. Probably the only way I'd actually start that project.

So for me, the ink marks on the back were actually an attracting factor because the decrease in value was greater than the impact on the 'eye appeal' of the cards for me. Different story though if the marks had been on the front.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I recently ran across a nice lot of '57s - centering very good and registration good across the board. However, they all had an ink stamp and a pen mark on the backs.

I ended up buying the lot and using them as the base of a new '57 set project. Probably the only way I'd actually start that project.

So for me, the ink marks on the back were actually an attracting factor because the decrease in value was greater than the impact on the 'eye appeal' of the cards for me. Different story though if the marks had been on the front.
Tom, I think that's really great if it works for you! Obviously, you can eventually upgrade when and if the urge strikes. Way to turn a minus into a plus!

Sincerely,

Larry