NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-09-2018, 06:27 AM
€d M!££w00D

Default 1970 Topps - What should I expect?

I am thinking about starting the 1970 set in the next few months. I know that the Nolan Ryan and Thurman Munson RC are two of the “high dollar” cards in the set. What are some other cards that will prove to be more expensive? I am planning to build the set in the EX range.

Ed
Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

The Bench will set you back. Most high numbers are readily available.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:14 PM

I can probably through together a nice starter lot of 100 to 200 cards in really nice condition. Lmk when you decide to start. Scott
Old 12-09-2018, 05:45 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I can probably through together a nice starter lot of 100 to 200 cards in really nice condition. Lmk when you decide to start. Scott
Will do. Thanks Scott

Ed
Old 12-09-2018, 09:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Bench, Mays, Clemente, Aaron, etc. All the really big names will cost, especially in nice centered condition.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 AM
D.an Jackso.n

The Kaline is semi-expensive due to centering and high number status.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:39 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
The Bench will set you back. Most high numbers are readily available.

Most of the time, yes - but keep an eye open for deals. I got a raw Bench 660 that’s about a 6 on eBay a couple of months ago for $27. Nicely centered, too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 07:41 AM
J0hn Collin$

The thing that bugged me about this set back when I was collecting it was in all grades - how prevalent cards with tilt are. Getting centered cards is one thing, getting them centered and even is another...

Old 12-10-2018, 12:49 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Most of the time, yes - but keep an eye open for deals. I got a raw Bench 660 that’s about a 6 on eBay a couple of months ago for $27. Nicely centered, too...

Good advice. I would love to catch a similar deal. I have had similar experiences with a couple of star cards in the 1971 set I am currently building. Patience and perseverance definitely pay off. Unfortunately, patience is not one of my strong suits. I am currently working on it, however.

Ed
Old 12-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Keith

Thumbs up

Longtime lurker...finally registered when I saw this thread, so thanks for drawing me out.

I've been working on the 1970 set for the last few months. Most all cards are readily available in all grades. Centering is a real issue with this set.

How are you going to start the set? Buy one, build it, upgrade one?

Here's how I did it FWIW: over the summer I bought a complete VG-EX set from Heritage for $500. Most of the star cards were in pretty good shape (Clemente & Mays) but others were VG (Bench, Ryan). In retrospect I should have probably sold the set for a profit and bought something a little nicer, as I prefer to have my cards in EX-Mint condition. What I did do was go through the set and individually buy cards to upgrade to the condition I wanted. So far I've put over $800 more into the set and I still have to upgrade the Bench and Ryan cards. I've spent more than I wanted but I've built a set I'm pretty proud of with over 90% of the cards having 4 sharp corners.

One thing to take into consideration is the 6th and 7th Series cards (high numbers). They are much more expensive to find in EX grades (min. $4-5 each). If you are trying to assemble the set by hand your cost is going to skyrocket from those cards as well as the Bench, Ryan, Mays & Clemente cards. The Munson Rookie is not too expensive, but some of the league leader, All Star (Rose & Bench) and World Series (Ryan) cards are.

I primarily bought my single cards from Greg Morris on eBay. He is very conservative with his grading; I've never been disappointed. You can bundle a lot of cards and pay one price for shipping as long as you win them within 7 days. He runs 1-2 auctions a week. I've found another seller on ebay who sells high grade, low number cards for only $1. The key is being patient. It might take months to acquire the right card at the right price. I can't tell you how many times I've seen bidders pay $10-15 for a Hoyt Wilhelm or Frank Howard card when they could just pay $2 for the same card from another seller. Being patient has allowed me to pick up some of the high number cards for $2 or less.

My advice would be to try to buy a complete set and pay special attention to the high number cards and Ryan and Bench (both are high numbers). If those cards are good then you'll come out ahead. I've found that prices in private auction houses (Heritage) are more reasonable than eBay (but mind the 20% buyer's premium).

It's a fantastic set, well worth the time and money to collect. Have fun with it.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:18 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default 1970 Topps - What should I expect?

I got a deal on the Bench, but here’s one I definitely made up for that one on. Whoever said these are difficult to find centered was right - this one is not perfect, but met my standards because it’s clean otherwise. Was a PSA 6.5 but I busted it out - I believe due to an issue w/ the slab:

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-10-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:18 PM
€d M!££w00D

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOX75 View Post
Longtime lurker...finally registered when I saw this thread, so thanks for drawing me out.

I've been working on the 1970 set for the last few months. Most all cards are readily available in all grades. Centering is a real issue with this set.

How are you going to start the set? Buy one, build it, upgrade one?

Here's how I did it FWIW: over the summer I bought a complete VG-EX set from Heritage for $500. Most of the star cards were in pretty good shape (Clemente & Mays) but others were VG (Bench, Ryan). In retrospect I should have probably sold the set for a profit and bought something a little nicer, as I prefer to have my cards in EX-Mint condition. What I did do was go through the set and individually buy cards to upgrade to the condition I wanted. So far I've put over $800 more into the set and I still have to upgrade the Bench and Ryan cards. I've spent more than I wanted but I've built a set I'm pretty proud of with over 90% of the cards having 4 sharp corners.

One thing to take into consideration is the 6th and 7th Series cards (high numbers). They are much more expensive to find in EX grades (min. $4-5 each). If you are trying to assemble the set by hand your cost is going to skyrocket from those cards as well as the Bench, Ryan, Mays & Clemente cards. The Munson Rookie is not too expensive, but some of the league leader, All Star (Rose & Bench) and World Series (Ryan) cards are.

I primarily bought my single cards from Greg Morris on eBay. He is very conservative with his grading; I've never been disappointed. You can bundle a lot of cards and pay one price for shipping as long as you win them within 7 days. He runs 1-2 auctions a week. I've found another seller on ebay who sells high grade, low number cards for only $1. The key is being patient. It might take months to acquire the right card at the right price. I can't tell you how many times I've seen bidders pay $10-15 for a Hoyt Wilhelm or Frank Howard card when they could just pay $2 for the same card from another seller. Being patient has allowed me to pick up some of the high number cards for $2 or less.

My advice would be to try to buy a complete set and pay special attention to the high number cards and Ryan and Bench (both are high numbers). If those cards are good then you'll come out ahead. I've found that prices in private auction houses (Heritage) are more reasonable than eBay (but mind the 20% buyer's premium).

It's a fantastic set, well worth the time and money to collect. Have fun with it.
Great advice. Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you have put together a beautiful set. Just curious, do you keep the set in a binder?

BTW, welcome aboard. Glad I was able to draw you out of the shadows. 😊

Ed
Old 12-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Patrick N.

Default Rose

The Rose base card is not cheap, also a few quirky ones like Oscar Gamble and Mickey Lolich if centered are not always cheap. It's a fun set to build but you will probably lose out in the long run if you have to resell as the sum of the parts are not worth the whole.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:18 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Whew! 720 cards! I could never stick with that! Good luck, guys!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Whew! 720 cards! I could never stick with that! Good luck, guys!

I slayed the 787-card 1972 monster a year or so ago and am about 30% finished with the 752 card 1971 set. 1970 will be downsizing for me, LOL.

Ed
Old 12-10-2018, 08:19 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
I slayed the 787-card 1972 monster a year or so ago and am about 30% finished with the 752 card 1971 set. 1970 will be downsizing for me, LOL.
Ed, it's all perspective I suppose.
Seriously though, I think the only way I could ever do it would be to buy an ex-exmt set and upgrade or a large partial (with or without the key cards) and go from there. That's a lot of cards!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:23 AM
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 View Post
Great advice. Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you have put together a beautiful set. Just curious, do you keep the set in a binder?
Yes, I have them in a binder and look at them all the time. There are some interesting cards in the set, especially with the Seattle Pilots team that did not exist in 1970. Card 88 has a rookie pitcher who pitched the last pitch for the Pilots in 1969 and he was murdered in the off-season in Puerto Rico. The managers card, Dave Bristol, #556, shows him in a uniform he never managed a regular season game in.

I'll try to upload some pictures later.

I also did the same thing with the 787 card 1972 set...bought a decent set and upgraded it. It also cost me an arm and leg to upgrade the high number cards. But I love that set too.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:08 PM
D@v3 W@u9h

Another bugaboo is that there are a lot of cards that are commonly found with printer crop/cut lines. While TPGs may not severely penalize cards with this feature IMHO these really detract from the overall appearance. Ron Santo is noteworthy in that he is a high number and usually suffers from one of the following: print line at top, poor centering, tilt, a dark print splotch in the gray in the lower left. Took me a long time to find a nice one.

Another sore spot may be trying to find the all-stars well centered. The borders on these cards are so narrow compared to the rest of the set that many are very tough to find well centered in high grade.
1971T #2 NM 497/752 (66%)
1954B EXMT 81/225 (36%)
1975T NMMT 178/660 (27%)
1968T NM 146/598 (24%)
1969T NM 123/664 (19%)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:14 AM
D.an Jackso.n

A big plus on the 1970 issue in my opinion is the backs of the cards. The blue / yellow combo make them very easy to read. Especially in comparison to the next year, 1971.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:39 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
A big plus on the 1970 issue in my opinion is the backs of the cards. The blue / yellow combo make them very easy to read. Especially in comparison to the next year, 1971.
Great point. Undoubtedly the best backs of the decade (not a huge feat!) but arguably the best back design among all of Topps’ years.

Ed
Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 AM
ja.mes na.higian

Cool '70s tuffies

]I just registered my 1970 set at over 90% complete in PSA 8+

I have found most of the set obtainable and affordable (compared to other late 60's and early 70's sets) with the usual star power exceptions and some others previously mentioned. That said, the All-Star cards in the 400's are just a bear in high grade. Expensive and rare - rare and Expensive........they are. If anyone wants to donate a Reggie Jackson AS to the cause please mssg. me.......

Last edited by 55koufax; 12-16-2018 at 12:28 PM.