NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Arnie

Default If you need one card.......

If you need one card to complete a set or any type of run you are collecting, if its not a real easy card to find in your price range, will you spend more than the card is really worth on a BIN if you find one, would you bid higher than normal on one in an auction, or would you be stubborn and wait until you can find one that you feel is priced right even if it takes a long time?

I know myself, I would pay more to get one faster if its a card that doesnt pop up frequently in a price that I can afford. I would push my "envelope of affordablility" because I have no patience and when I really want to complete a Yankee team set and need that one card, I want it big-time!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:44 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Yep, I'm with you. I have no patience. If I want it, I buy it...
Old 10-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Christopher Herman

With some cards, "the time to buy it, is when you see it". Usually this saying involves a premium.

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 10-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Jason Wells

Yes I have done that a few times most recently to finish my Series 2 T210's.The problem is that every time I pay a premium for a card I have been having trouble locating another one pops up within a week that I would have been just as happy with.Oh well......
Old 10-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Paul

On certain items I pursue, the right price for me is often much more than most collectors would pay. I will pay what a card is worth to me, though I am quite happy to pay a bidding increment higher than what a card is worth to the underbidder beneath my bid!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Fred

If the card is really tough then sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet and grab it when becomes available, even if it's over the perceived book value. If it's that tough then the perceived book value could be understated.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:57 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Yes, I have done it for just about every set I've ever finished and have never once regretted it.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Phil Garry

I believe that just about everyone, including myself, will say yes to this question without much hesitation.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 10-12-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Almost every passionate collector has paid more than they intended to acquire a card. I do it all of the time . I have almost never regretted it....
Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 AM
bi11h00d

Seeing how just about everybody would be willing to spend more for the card they need. The follow up is sort of how long do you look before giving in to that higher price. Obviously if the card rarely appears your timetable is predetermined.
I'm at the point where I need one card to finish two different sets. The cards I need are readily available but not at the price I initially anticipated. I've been looking for probably close to 3 months and have just about reached the point of "Heck with it. I'm buying even if it is >30% more than what I wanted to pay."
Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Cain J.

I would usually pay the premium to complete the set. A couple factors I would consider is how long I've tried to find the card/complete the set and how much of a premium I am paying.

Last edited by ins02; 10-13-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:34 PM
$teve O.

If its a tough card to find, or one you don't see for sale often yes.I have done it many times.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:53 PM
pete ullman

This has become the norm...dramatically overpaying for a card you want/need...esp if it's a tough card that doesn't come up often.

Price guides are meaningless...previous hammer prices can be meaningless...a card is worth what someone is willing to pay at that time...prudence be damned!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:58 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Plum View Post
Seeing how just about everybody would be willing to spend more for the card they need. The follow up is sort of how long do you look before giving in to that higher price. Obviously if the card rarely appears your timetable is predetermined.
I'm at the point where I need one card to finish two different sets. The cards I need are readily available but not at the price I initially anticipated. I've been looking for probably close to 3 months and have just about reached the point of "Heck with it. I'm buying even if it is >30% more than what I wanted to pay."
30% isn't that tough of a pill to swallow for a card you've been needing to complete a set for 3 months. Will you ever make your money back? Probably not...but chalk it up to the cost of the satisfaction for completion. That's my take anyway.

Last edited by conor912; 10-13-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 PM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default I Agree With Leon

It has been more than once that I overpaid for a card on my want list.

Was I happy to have spent more than my target amount? Hell, no!

Was I happy to cross that card off my want list? Hell, yes!

Last edited by kkkkandp; 10-13-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-15-2013, 06:47 PM

Default Patience . . . .

I rarely post, but I've been here for a long time. There are a number of collectors like myself that won't overpay. We'll wait. That's why some of us work on sets and different subsets and collections for 10, 20, 30 years. The hunt, the wait, the satisfaction that comes from being patient is truly worthwhile. I'd get bored if I simply overpaid for a card because I needed it - I enjoy finding the cards on my terms.

That being said, I've probably overpaid on occasion, no regrets (but it doesn't happen often).

Mike (18colt)
Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Gobucsmagic74

One of the biggest challenges for me when it comes to pre-war cards is the relative lack of supply (which I realize is good for value) of the cards I want to add to my collection. I lack the patience to assemble sets, and the financial resources to spend money on commons, so I'm focused primarily on key HOF'ers but finding (for example) a E92, E102, or E101 Sam Crawford in VG-VG/EX is really testing my patience, so when I do I'm sure I'll overpay...just so I can check it off my want list and move on with my life.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike (18colt) View Post
I rarely post, but I've been here for a long time. There are a number of collectors like myself that won't overpay. We'll wait. That's why some of us work on sets and different subsets and collections for 10, 20, 30 years. The hunt, the wait, the satisfaction that comes from being patient is truly worthwhile. I'd get bored if I simply overpaid for a card because I needed it - I enjoy finding the cards on my terms.

That being said, I've probably overpaid on occasion, no regrets (but it doesn't happen often).

Mike (18colt)
Mike, your patience amazes me. I have zero patience. Big fault of mine. I get in a frenzy to get those last couple of cards, particularly the last card to complete something. It stinks, and I supposed your way is better, but I just cant be that way!! Enjoy bud.