NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: Will eBay's Managed Payments Destroy the Seller

Just received another email from eBay trying to get me to enroll in their managed payments. Eventually, there will not be a choice and all sellers will need to be enrolled.

Managed payments will give buyers more ways to pay with credit, debit and gift cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, and PayPal Credit.
In addition, funds will automatically be deposited into your bank account.

You can expect payouts to be sent to your bank account within 2-4
business days of an order confirmation.
My first question is, does that mean, the seller should not send out the item until the money clears his account.

eBay will then charge a fee of 2.7% against the total amount paid including S/H. In addition, they will now charge .25 for each item in the order from different listings. Currently, Paypal charges .30 for the entire order.

So, if I sold 10 cards to one customer from 10 different listings and the entire order cost $100 including S/H, Paypal would charge me $2.70 +.30 for a total of $3.00. With eBay's managed payment, it would now cost me $2.70 + (10 *.25) for a total of $5.20.

Let's not forget eBay's regular fees for listing, final value, etc.
I can see many sellers leaving ebay once they are forced to use managed payments. I won't be far behind.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 09-03-2019, 03:27 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Admittedly, I have not looked into this at all, but does that mean every transaction will be going directly to your bank account? So if I have 100 sales in a month, I'll have 100 deposits? I could see that potentially being an issue with both banks not wanting to have so many transactions in personal accounts and sellers co-mingling their ebay and personal finances. I think there are a good number of people like me who use paypal to keep their personal and ebaying separated.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-03-2019, 03:31 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Managed payments

Hi Howard, this thread was in the Water Cooler section a few days ago. I share your concerns.

Rick
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272829

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:44 PM
B.ob L.amb

This may be part of the reason that local shows in my area now have waiting lists for dealers to get tables where 1-2 years ago you could have shown up the morning of the show and the show promoter could have gotten you table space.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Admittedly, I have not looked into this at all, but does that mean every transaction will be going directly to your bank account? So if I have 100 sales in a month, I'll have 100 deposits? I could see that potentially being an issue with both banks not wanting to have so many transactions in personal accounts and sellers co-mingling their ebay and personal finances. I think there are a good number of people like me who use paypal to keep their personal and ebaying separated.
A good question. Not sure how that is going to work. I like also like to separate my personal finances from my business. It might make sense to open a separate bank account to be used for eBay only.

Buythatcard

Old 09-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Howard, this thread was in the Water Cooler section a few days ago. I share your concerns.

Rick
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272829
Thanks Rick. In my 10 years plus as a member of this forum, I don't think that I ever visited the water cooler section.

Buythatcard

Old 09-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Bob McLean

Interesting topic, though I will never be affected by their policies. I made my last sale on their site around 2007.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is a terrible plan. I also really, really dislike their chargeback process, which allows eBay to charge sellers a fee to handle charge-backs in certain situations.
eBay also is dropping global shipping, so if you sell internationally you will have to ship it yourself and shoulder all of the delivery fraud risks.

The big winners will be AHs; it makes consigning stuff more attractive just to avoid the payment and fulfillment processes.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-03-2019, 10:29 PM
Joe Drouillard

Quote:
Just received another email from eBay trying to get me to enroll in their managed payments. Eventually, there will not be a choice and all sellers will need to be enrolled.

Managed payments will give buyers more ways to pay with credit, debit and gift cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, and PayPal Credit.

My first question is, does that mean, the seller should not send out the item until the money clears his account.

eBay will then charge a fee of 2.7% against the total amount paid including S/H. In addition, they will now charge .25 for each item in the order from different listings. Currently, Paypal charges .30 for the entire order.

So, if I sold 10 cards to one customer from 10 different listings and the entire order cost $100 including S/H, Paypal would charge me $2.70 +.30 for a total of $3.00. With eBay's managed payment, it would now cost me $2.70 + (10 *.25) for a total of $5.20.

I can see many sellers leaving ebay once they are forced to use managed payments. I won't be far behind.
I have also been receiving a lot of requests from eBay to join their managed payment program and have put off making the leap. I don't like the idea of adding another layer to the booking. I think that I will still use my Paypal account to pay for my purchases on eBay, so I assume that I will have to wait for transferred funds from eBay's Managed Payment account, to arrive at my bank, and then back to Paypal before making a payment back to eBay. Sounds like a lot of bookkeeping.

It might be helpful for someone that is currently using eBay's Managed Payment program to let us know how the program is working for them.
What are the advantages? disadvantages?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 09-04-2019, 06:10 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:

So if ebay is charging regular fees of about 13% then this becomes an 18% transaction cost on that $100 sale... not for me...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:37 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Okay, so I pulled the last 90 day s of order info (406 orders) and with Paypal, my fees came to 3.136%, with eBay (including the $.25 per listing) came to 3.039%. I would save $49.65 under the new managed payments. Then again, my average order price was $122.88 and 76% of my orders were for single items.

Is $200 per year worth the hassle of opening a new bank account and dealing with a 2-3 business day float? No.

Also, before, buyer's would have two avenues to dispute a sale (eBay and paypal). Now they will have eBay and their credit card company. This may cause additional issues for sellers.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Chuck Tapia

considering the E-bay is among the most crooked companies originating from the Philippines, they are another company that I am avoiding.... AGAIN. The first time I stayed away for 3 years... Then, my attraction to fake cards began and they had their hooks back in me.

I know all my friends here are in LOVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEE with e-bay and they won't stand up to them. They will continue letting them beat their brains in. Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
eBay also is dropping global shipping, so if you sell internationally you will have to ship it yourself and shoulder all of the delivery fraud risks.
Where did you read this? If eBay is dropping the Global Shitty Program, then that's great news! First of all, they would charge us high shipping fees - why would I pay like $25 USD to have a freaking $3 card shipped to me? There are so many things I couldn't buy because Americans signed up for this stupid program. On top of that, they would open all my parcels at their main sorting center, repack them, and then ship to me. I had a couple items get damaged by those idiots. I really hope they get rid of this program ASAP!
Old 09-04-2019, 11:17 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
considering the E-bay is among the most crooked companies originating from the Philippines, they are another company that I am avoiding.... AGAIN. The first time I stayed away for 3 years... Then, my attraction to fake cards began and they had their hooks back in me.

I know all my friends here are in LOVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEE with e-bay and they won't stand up to them. They will continue letting them beat their brains in. Enjoy the ride.
Sigh...more filth spewed by you.....are you EVER in a good mood? Is there anything you LIKE about this hobby?? If not, then maybe you should find a new one.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:23 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Okay, so I pulled the last 90 day s of order info (406 orders) and with Paypal, my fees came to 3.136%, with eBay (including the $.25 per listing) came to 3.039%. I would save $49.65 under the new managed payments. Then again, my average order price was $122.88 and 76% of my orders were for single items.

Is $200 per year worth the hassle of opening a new bank account and dealing with a 2-3 business day float? No.

Also, before, buyer's would have two avenues to dispute a sale (eBay and paypal). Now they will have eBay and their credit card company. This may cause additional issues for sellers.
As a buyer, we currently have 3 avenues to dispute a sale. Ebay, PayPal, and the credit card tied to my PayPal account.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
As a buyer, we currently have 3 avenues to dispute a sale. Ebay, PayPal, and the credit card tied to my PayPal account.
Ah, that's true, but I'd imagine the majority of buyers use their PayPal balance to pay for items on eBay now (I could be wrong).
Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Ah, that's true, but I'd imagine the majority of buyers use their PayPal balance to pay for items on eBay now (I could be wrong).
I can't speak for the majority but I try not to leave any balance in my PayPal account. And if I'm dealing with a seller I'm not familiar with I use the credit card option rather than the bank account. Just in case.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
the entire order cost $100 including S/H, Paypal would charge me $2.70 +.30 for a total of $3.00. With eBay's managed payment, it would now cost me $2.70 + (10 *.25) for a total of $5.20.
$2.20 extra on $100 is not bad plus customers have more options to pay which should increase sales. I suspect this will be a good thing.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
$2.20 extra on $100 is not bad plus customers have more options to pay which should increase sales. I suspect this will be a good thing.
$2.20 doesn't sound like much, but a total of $5.20 for payment fees, plus 9.15% final value fee ($9.15), plus a monthly premium store fee of $59.95 adds up pretty quickly at the end of the month.

eBay is still, by far, the best marketplace to sell sportscards because of the vast audience, great shipping discounts, and free quarterly shipping supplies, but a seller has to be very careful when purchasing products to resell because the high fees will quickly eat up your profit.

I sell on eBay to make a little money to buy cards for my personal collection, and that has worked well for me, so I will put up with the fees, glitches, low offers, and problem customers. It is much less work and much more profitable than setting up at card shows.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
Sure, an extra $2.20 doesn't sound bad. On top of that start adding, the ebay listing fees, ebay fvf fees, postage, supplies. Then multiply that by about a dozen orders per night times 365 days in the year. Then you will understand why Sellers are upset about another fee.

Buythatcard

Old 09-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Where did you read this? If eBay is dropping the Global Shitty Program, then that's great news! First of all, they would charge us high shipping fees - why would I pay like $25 USD to have a freaking $3 card shipped to me? There are so many things I couldn't buy because Americans signed up for this stupid program. On top of that, they would open all my parcels at their main sorting center, repack them, and then ship to me. I had a couple items get damaged by those idiots. I really hope they get rid of this program ASAP!
I read it in the fine print on the program. It was in the link eBay sent to sellers to 'entice' them to make the switch.

You aren't going to save money if eBay eliminates Global Shipping; you are going to lose many American sellers. Before Global Shipping too many shady Canadians (primarily) were buying cards and asking for PWE shipping, then claiming non-delivery and stealing the cards and a refund because we did not have the ability to track PWE international shipments. We still cannot track unless the buyer wants to pay about $20-$25 US for specific shipping methods. No one except an inexperienced seller is going to risk an international sale without delivery confirmation because of the rampant fraud. The GS program allowed us easy delivery protection: I got my item to Erlanger KY and they took the risk after that. I will not sell internationally without tracking; I don't want the headaches or the charge-backs. So, when eBay forces us to switch to its payment platform, which currently requires us to ship internationally rather than going through an intermediary, I will eliminate international sales from my store, and so will many other American sellers, or I will charge the same rate as GS and ship with one of the few international tracking methods the USPS offers.

ETA: on the banking thing, I really do not want sales swept into my checking account every day; it creates a bookkeeping mess, especially when I have to ship items. Way too many transactions.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-04-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
You aren't going to save money if eBay eliminates Global Shipping
Sure I will. Right now if I buy a $60 US card, then I'm expected to pay the tax right on the spot. If a seller ships to me, and even if he writes $60 USD on the custom's form, there is a high chance the custom agents won't tag it.

And USPS First Class Mail International is around $10 - $15 USD. Better than paying $25 - $30 USD. Heck, they want me to pay like $60 - $80 for the even bigger stuff. They just rob us.

Quote:
you are going to lose many American sellers.
Nope. I'll contact them and loosen em' up. I have been on eBay a long time and I have a great feedback; they'll see that and won't have to worry about anything.

Quote:
The GS program allowed us easy delivery protection: I got my item to Erlanger KY and they took the risk after that.
Yeah, good for you Americans, but shitty for us, especially when those bastardos open up the parcels and break our damn stuff.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default What Howie said....

eBay is STILL the easy way and likely least expensive way to auction items with values in a reasonable range - so I put up with all the crap and baggage. Been there since 1996 and have endured quite a bit. It helps that I can manage to occasionally buy there as well.

eBay has told me quite a few things they would do to make things "better" for me. Likely batting below the Mendoza line...…..
Old 09-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Sure, an extra $2.20 doesn't sound bad. On top of that start adding, the ebay listing fees, ebay fvf fees, postage, supplies. Then multiply that by about a dozen orders per night times 365 days in the year. Then you will understand why Sellers are upset about another fee.
Just have to adjust pricing and/or processes differently.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Martin
Martin L.ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Sigh...more filth spewed by you.....are you EVER in a good mood? Is there anything you LIKE about this hobby?? If not, then maybe you should find a new one.
LOL glad i'm not the only one who is concerned about this guy.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:36 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
I read it in the fine print on the program. It was in the link eBay sent to sellers to 'entice' them to make the switch.

You aren't going to save money if eBay eliminates Global Shipping; you are going to lose many American sellers. Before Global Shipping too many shady Canadians (primarily) were buying cards and asking for PWE shipping, then claiming non-delivery and stealing the cards and a refund because we did not have the ability to track PWE international shipments. We still cannot track unless the buyer wants to pay about $20-$25 US for specific shipping methods. No one except an inexperienced seller is going to risk an international sale without delivery confirmation because of the rampant fraud. The GS program allowed us easy delivery protection: I got my item to Erlanger KY and they took the risk after that. I will not sell internationally without tracking; I don't want the headaches or the charge-backs. So, when eBay forces us to switch to its payment platform, which currently requires us to ship internationally rather than going through an intermediary, I will eliminate international sales from my store, and so will many other American sellers, or I will charge the same rate as GS and ship with one of the few international tracking methods the USPS offers.

ETA: on the banking thing, I really do not want sales swept into my checking account every day; it creates a bookkeeping mess, especially when I have to ship items. Way too many transactions.
Agreed 100%. Nicely said. When GSP is gone I will only ship to the US. I have had nothing but problems shipping internationally. Broken items, claims of missing items and outright theft. GSP took away all of my problems. The shipping cost isn’t going to be any less - just more paperwork for me.

Speaking of more paperwork - also agreed on managed payments. Most of the items I sell are $10 or less. I am already dreading having multiple little transactions going in and each shipping charge coming out. I am already planning on cutting out hundreds of items when this happens. Then being very selective about what I put up. Like I have said - they are rewarding my increased business with higher fees. I am going to return the favor by doing less business.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Thanks Rick. In my 10 years plus as a member of this forum, I don't think that I ever visited the water cooler section.
Yeah, the market for prewar water coolers seems to be drying up.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 09-04-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:48 PM
Sean McGinty

As someone living overseas (Japan) it does suck to read this thread. I totally understand the logic and concerns that sellers have with shipping internationally and why you'll only be shipping domestically so I'm not blaming anyone (except Ebay).

But it does suck for those of us on the outside. 10 years ago I used to regularly buy a lot of lower value (under $50) cards on Ebay from sellers who were willing to put them in an envelope and toss them in the mail for 2-3$ shipping. It made collecting US cards feasible even if you were overseas.

Now, nobody on Ebay sells singles with shipping rates under about 20$ per card. So the math basically eliminates you from bidding on or buying anything under $200 or so since the shipping fees make it not worth your while. I haven't bought any cards on Ebay in a few years as a result and have more or less given up on my US collection, save for a few trading-by-mail relationships I have.

At a broader level, its probably stunting the growth of the hobby by cutting off the entire international market for US cards.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 09-04-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Yeah, the market for prewar water coolers seems to be drying up.
Water coolers are most needed with outdoor activity in extreme heat. Other than that there is some pretty good stuff over there sometimes.

As for the ebay mandate, I don't (haven't in a long time) sell there so we will see how ti goes.

Last edited by Leon; 09-09-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Sure I will. Right now if I buy a $60 US card, then I'm expected to pay the tax right on the spot. If a seller ships to me, and even if he writes $60 USD on the custom's form, there is a high chance the custom agents won't tag it.

And USPS First Class Mail International is around $10 - $15 USD. Better than paying $25 - $30 USD. Heck, they want me to pay like $60 - $80 for the even bigger stuff. They just rob us.

Nope. I'll contact them and loosen em' up. I have been on eBay a long time and I have a great feedback; they'll see that and won't have to worry about anything.

Yeah, good for you Americans, but shitty for us, especially when those bastardos open up the parcels and break our damn stuff.
if you think most American sellers are going to go back to the old days of untraceable international sales and resulting rip-offs, you are in for a rude awakening.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-09-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
Agreed 100%. Nicely said. When GSP is gone I will only ship to the US. I have had nothing but problems shipping internationally. Broken items, claims of missing items and outright theft. GSP took away all of my problems. The shipping cost isn’t going to be any less - just more paperwork for me.

Speaking of more paperwork - also agreed on managed payments. Most of the items I sell are $10 or less. I am already dreading having multiple little transactions going in and each shipping charge coming out. I am already planning on cutting out hundreds of items when this happens. Then being very selective about what I put up. Like I have said - they are rewarding my increased business with higher fees. I am going to return the favor by doing less business.
I already deleted most of my low cost items. In the future they either go into large lots or to AHs for sale. eBay is just getting too complicated for part timers to coordinate small sales.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-09-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:23 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Normally this is where I would plug COMC to connect international buyers with US sellers, but they're having their own issues right now. Still think they'll be a good option for those that lose Global Shipping program.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I never buy or sell on ebay... facebook and in person are the best for buying and selling.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Stefan

With all the Fraud apparent today, I am having trouble wrapping my head on the safety of this idea. At least with Paypal, there's a buffer. I think when this is required, I will no longer be selling on eBay

Last edited by Smanzari; 09-10-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I'm always in a good mood, you know that from the personal e-mail I sent you. when I was trying to help a friend. Sorry to have bothered you little boy.

I just despise fraud & companies that help them that are too big to fail, like e-bay and your favorite PS effin A. Sorry, Fraud just pisses me off is all and I don't line their pockets with my money like you do. you are very much a dumb ass for feeding the monster, IMHO. It's the principal which I stand for something, unlike yourself who stands for nothing. Keep popping nimrod. FYI, Bobby Brady I have many other hobbies like collecting cars and 100 dollar bills. Don't really need cards to pop for my excitement

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 09-10-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:42 PM
Jeff Weisenberg

Default Customer Service in regards to this issue

I just got off the phone with one of the "Intelligent" reps at ebay to discuss this new "Option". It will be mandatory soon. Your deposit will be made daily at 1pm West Coast time as of now but soon you will be able to specify a weekly deposit direct to a checking account. There will be no direct deposit to paypal. As stated in some earlier posts, I do use paypal to make purchases on ebay and will now have to have the payments redirected from my checking account. I will now also have to deposit money from my checking to paypal to pay for items I currently have withdrawn from paypal such as Stamps.com postage deposits and other things. After speaking with the "Rep" I basically told her that Ebay does what ever they want and does not ask its customers for input. She said it makes life easier, Really! This will make life much harder. Updates to come!